Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011  (Read 72214 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
I honestly cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or mentioning a legit daytime episode.

Trust me, the "super-cheap WOF" was being sarcastic. I'll expand on it in the "Left Field" forum when I get time.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
We could discuss this ad infinitum. At the end of the day, the young college girls and more than half the viewership of the Price is Right contains a demographic that can wear women's shoes. Maybe a majority would prefer a car over shoes. We'll never know.

Also, Drew Carey doesn't say, sheesh, that was some loud yelling over some shoes, because he's making a prize look good, he's saying it because he doesn't think it should be as big of a deal as it is. His tone, mannerism, and also seeming slightly disturbed, is not the type of strategy you would employ if you want your audience to think shoes are awesome.

Briguy, GuyWithFace, temptation1979ga, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But with the level of excitement that I feel is legitimate, we will see that wall of shoes once again.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »
But with the level of excitement that I feel is legitimate, we will see that wall of shoes once again.

It is my hope that the wall of shoes and Tracy Verna-Soiseth were tied at the hip.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »
We could discuss this ad infinitum. At the end of the day, the young college girls and more than half the viewership of the Price is Right contains a demographic that can wear women's shoes. Maybe a majority would prefer a car over shoes. We'll never know.
I think it's a safe conclusion most of these college girls would be more thrilled over a car still, just because 365 is so absurd.

These things just don't suddenly change, even though Mike wants them to.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:43 AM »
Not only is it a safe conclusion that a majority of any group of people would prefer a car over a bunch of shoes, I think that falls under the category of common sense.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:10 AM »
$20 jump from one SP to another in Cliff Hangers? That's kind of evil.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Brakel
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:21 AM »
Also, Drew Carey doesn't say, sheesh, that was some loud yelling over some shoes, because he's making a prize look good, he's saying it because he doesn't think it should be as big of a deal as it is. His tone, mannerism, and also seeming slightly disturbed, is not the type of strategy you would employ if you want your audience to think shoes are awesome.
If Drew was that way, it is likely that he knew it was a stupid prize. Which-guess what?-it is!

Briguy, GuyWithFace, temptation1979ga, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But with the level of excitement that I feel is legitimate, we will see that wall of shoes once again.
For the final time, it was not legitimate. It does not make sense for anyone to go crazy over shoes than a car.

"But the episode had-"

It has been stated several times that the show uses artificial audience cheers. It is very likely that the actual audience response was low to none, assuming that Richards and his Butt-Kissing Brigade did not encourage them to be raucous. BE RAUCOUS, OR WE SLICE YOUR FINGERS OFF!

*ahem* Hopefully not.

Basically, the applause and such was not legit and Drew was likely making a joke at the time of the taping (i.e., "Wow, that was some loud yelling over some shoes!"[/sarcasm]).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:54:50 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:05 AM »

Yes, we do.  They'd prefer a car.

This is dumb.  Please just drop it.  All you're accomplishing is making a fool of yourself.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
The answer is a car. While she may not have been a "college girl", a woman FAINTED over the prospect of winning a car. I don't think anything BUT a car could garner that kind of reaction.....

For the final time, it was not legitimate. It does not make sense for anyone to go crazy over shoes than a car.
I think it was legitimate based on the girl's facial reaction (and to Croc's credit, she seemed way more excited about the shoes than the car), but the car got the bigger reaction from the audience (ever-so-slightly) than the shoes. Although, that can be explained by the fact that the car was a Nissan Cube, not exactly something to hoop and holler over.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
I think to be fair to Crocodile's Crock of an argument, I wonder how long "audience sweetening" has been around, to play up a prize the producers want to make desirable to the audience? I can remember enhanced "oohs" and "ahhs" on the 1980s Wheel of Fortune -- although these were for actually desirable prizes, such as trips or furs (never for a prize such as the 365 pairs of shoes).

The only way the audience cheers the way Croc claims is if Drew/Mike hire Cpl. Punishment and and an army of Andre the Giants, and hold the audience at gunpoint to MAKE them cheer. Or if the audience reaction was literally edited in -- that is, a racuous reaction to a prize from earlier in the show, and inserted when the audience didn't give the desired reaction for the shoes (other than adding the cheers in with "sweetening" in post-production), and yes Steve and others I can see them doing something as unethical as that.

It's hard to believe I once defended giving away a high-tech toilet or finger drums. As I've said before, I like unique prizes, but the 365 pairs of shoes is too much. (And for the record, the "52 silk neckties" that was given away on the NBC "Concentration" finale was too much, too.)

Brian

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
(And for the record, the "52 silk neckties" that was given away on the NBC "Concentration" finale was too much, too.)

I have at least 30 neckties, and I'm not a collector, much less a hoarder. That's just how many I have. And 52 ties would take up a lot less closet space than 730 shoes do.

I'm just curious. As far as I know, everyone here who's posted about the Shoecases is male. Have any of the (few) female members of the site commented on this?

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
My girlfriend did to me and said she'd love the shoes as a prize.

That's enough for me because I'm not sleeping on the couch tonight.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
When having a conversation with my girlfriend, she said "Who needs all those shoes?!"

I agree.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
I have at least 30 neckties, and I'm not a collector, much less a hoarder. That's just how many I have. And 52 ties would take up a lot less closet space than 730 shoes do.

I'm just curious. As far as I know, everyone here who's posted about the Shoecases is male. Have any of the (few) female members of the site commented on this?

That's what *I* wanted to know too.

This is dumb.  Please just drop it.  All you're accomplishing is making a fool of yourself.

I had already tried dropping it on my previous post. Defending my position is not making a fool of myself. You folks take a prize that a substantial portion of the viewing audience may actually love to have, and tar and feather it like the show just tried to sell everyone hair-growing tonic! There has been significantly worse prizes than this (some trips and wine cellars come to mind), and flatly stating that they'd want a car over shoes crams intelligence out of the question. You call my argument foolish, and yet:

1) There are claims of a huge conspiracy that the cheering was sweetened.
2) EVERYONE is in on this conspiracy (including anyone who has a girlfriend or wife who would love that many shoes).
3) No one, EXCEPT the people on this board know about this conspiracy.
4) Some how, NO ONE ELSE on the planet knows about the sweetening of this particular prize on this particular show, EXCEPT the people on this board.
5) And to top it all off, there's a SECOND conspiracy theory that The Price is Right is now encouraging hoarding. I'm just waiting for someone to make a "brilliant" connection about some conspiracy theory where The Price is Right is encouraging hoarding in order for Hoarders to get more episodes.

I'm going to use ole' Occam's razor. The contestant was very excited because she loves shoes, and Drew thought she was over-excited over a prize he thought was too much or simply lame. I agree with Drew. That is a lame prize. But the contestant was extremely happy. Therefore, I am happy for her. What an awesome show. ^_^

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:34 AM »
Defending my position is not making a fool of myself. You folks take a prize that a substantial portion of the viewing audience may actually love to have

But that's not the same thing as what several of us disagreed with. I have no doubts that many people would enjoy such a prize. What we took issue with was when you indicated that more people would want to win shoes than a car, and finally came down a bit and said "maybe a majority would prefer a car over the shoes, but we'll never know."

The "we'll never know" part is what's most foolish. Defending a position doesn't make you foolish. It's defending a ridiculous position that does.

1) There are claims of a huge conspiracy that the cheering was sweetened.

We've long since known that audience reactions are emphasized and added to in places where those in charge think the audience reaction didn't live up to their expectations. I don't care if they offer 1,000 pairs of shoes. It's still never going to get the same kind of natural reaction that a car would.

The contestant was very excited because she loves shoes, and Drew thought she was over-excited over a prize he thought was too much or simply lame. I agree with Drew. That is a lame prize. But the contestant was extremely happy. Therefore, I am happy for her. What an awesome show. ^_^

Now this, I agree with. Minus the awesome show part.