Author Topic: Whatever happened to Golden Road, Check Game, and Credit Card?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
Whatever happened to Golden Road, Check Game, and Credit Card?
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
Me and my wife watch this show every day (thank you DVR) and I am dismayed that I have yet to see Golden Road (the Super Bowl of pricing games) and from what I gathered at YouTube, 11/7 of last year was its last playing.  Oh sure they run that Pay the Rent game to the ground (please don't tell me that's a replacement for Golden Road...) where every contestant easily gets to (and smartly quits) on $10K pretty much everytime, but I really miss the true super big ticket games, Golden Road and 3 Strikes.

As for the more "regular" pricing games, whatever happened to Check Game?  Have they secretly retired it or something?  I always thought Bob's gag of pretending like nobody knew how to play the game was cute and I think I recall a recent contestant who didn't even bother finishing the check (but Drew pretended not to notice) and I think weren't there a few that tried to write in the eggcrate displays?

Another game I've yet to see is Credit Card.  I think the setup is unique and it's essentially the opposite of Shopping Spree (which gets plenty of playings).

Bottom line is, why does TPIR insist on running some games into the ground (Lucky $even and especially That's [Played] Too Much!) while some games don't get any love at all?  There's what, 70ish pricing games?  Some more variety would be nice.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Whatever happened to Golden Road, Check Game, and Credit Card?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
I miss both Check Game and Credit Card. "A wonderful array of prizes" was a favorite intro of mine. I hope I'm wrong, but it dosen't look promising for either game.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
I miss both Check Game and Credit Card. "A wonderful array of prizes" was a favorite intro of mine. I hope I'm wrong, but it dosen't look promising for either game.

One non-played game we can definitely do without though is Clearance Sale, which has no difference whatsoever with Eazy as 1-2-3.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
Well Clearance Sale got retired 3 years ago, so you don't have to worry about seeing that game again.

Check Game and Credit Card are "supposedly coming back", but probably never will. Neither of those games have been played in 3 years.

Golden Road is the big mecca of pricing games but since there's a better chance of winning that over that damn Pay the Rent, it hardly ever gets played.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
I always thought Bob's gag of pretending like nobody knew how to play the game was cute
Since hardly anyone did know how to play it, I doubt Bob was pretending like nobody knew how to play the game.  There were some who did know how to play it, but for the most part, hardly anyone knew how to play it.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
One non-played game we can definitely do without though is Clearance Sale, which has no difference whatsoever with Eazy as 1-2-3.

I recall Scott mentioning years and years ago in a recap thread on a day when Clearance Sale had been played that he would have made different guesses on the same prizes if they'd been in Eazy az 1 2 3.  To me, that always seemed like a good enough reason to keep them both around.

Roger also raised the interesting point once that your average viewer is never going to realize how similar the two games are.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
While the two are similar, I don't think they're carbon copies of each other. In Easy az 1,2,3 there aren't multiple options for the blocks, there can't be two prizes that would qualify as #3. In Clearance Sale, of $500, $1000 & $2000 sale prices, you could be the $500 sale price on any prize and it's correct, you could put the $1000 sale price on the most expensive prize and it's correct, but the mistake made is in putting the $2000 sale price on a less-expensive prize. At least half the games on the show are similar to another game in some way, shape or form.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
I think Check Game and Credit Card both got retired since they haven't been played in quite some time and i doubt they'll return.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
I think Check Game and Credit Card both got retired since they haven't been played in quite some time and i doubt they'll return.

Thank you Captain Obvious.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
Golden Road is not retired but these days, we'd be lucky to see it four times a season due to less winnable games such as Pay the Rent and Punch-a-Bunch taking more airtime.

All we keep hearing from the staff concerning Check Game and Credit Card is that they're not retired but their boards are being refurbished. Adam Sandler also debunked Greco's statement about Barker's Bargain bar being retired by saying that game will also be back someday. The latest announcement concerning the three aforementioned games was from this past October but it doesn't seem like any work is being done on them, otherwise they'd update us on their progress.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:30:50 PM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »
The latest announcement concerning [Check Game, Credit Card, and Bargain Game] was from this past October but it doesn't seem like any work is being done on them, otherwise they'd update us on their progress.
I highly doubt anything has been done since late 2008.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
As for the more "regular" pricing games, whatever happened to Check Game?  Have they secretly retired it or something?  I always thought Bob's gag of pretending like nobody knew how to play the game was cute

Bob was pretty much the only one who liked that gag.  Once he and Roger left, nobody remained to defend the game.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
Funny, that sounds like another game. :P

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Quote from: Estil
Oh sure they run that Pay the Rent game to the ground (please don't tell me that's a replacement for Golden Road...) where every contestant easily gets to (and smartly quits) on $10K pretty much everytime, but I really miss the true super big ticket games, Golden Road and 3 Strikes.

1. The "replacement" nod is a rumor.

2. About the $10,000 bailout: this is what makes Pay The Rent unlike the Big 3. Golden Road lets you keep whatever prizes you've won before game over. 3 Strikes is all or nothing. Triple Play is triple all or triple nothing. None of the Big 3 allow you to bail out. It's only Pay The Rent where you can avoid the dagger, due to the high stakes involved and its high difficulty rating.

3. Like I mentioned in an old-forgotten post, Pay The Rent is a game all its own. Where there are one prize games, car games, SP games, GF (grocery-fee) games, and big games, I dub Pay The Rent the Million Dollar game, even though the game isn't actually offering a million dollars, despite using the million dollar props (which what you'd call a touch of irony).

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »
3. Like I mentioned in an old-forgotten post, Pay The Rent is a game all its own. Where there are one prize games, car games, SP games, GF (grocery-fee) games, and big games, I dub Pay The Rent the Million Dollar game, even though the game isn't actually offering a million dollars, despite using the million dollar props (which what you'd call a touch of irony).

And I'm willing to bet that if CBS ever needs MDS again, Pay The Rent will be the million dollar game.