Author Topic: What were the rules of The Amazing Race and GRECO?  (Read 917 times)

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
What were the rules of The Amazing Race and GRECO?
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
Ok, I know these games existed but I dont know what the rules were. Could someone please tell me what the rules were?
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: What were the rules of The Amazing Race and GRECO?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
I don't remember a whole lot of the details since they haven't been played for years, but I'll try to give you the gist of each.

Amazing Race -- Players submit a list of 30 pricing games that they believe will be played in a week of shows.  Various "Road Blocks" and "Detours" occur during the season, such as "You may not pick more than three quickie (one-prize) PGs this week" or "You may pick only 25 games this week".  Each player may also opt to submit a list with more than 30 PGs (can't remember if it was 35 or 36) once or twice in a season, depending on the host's mood.  The winning player each week automatically gets the advantage of picking two additional PGs the following week.  The two lowest scorers of the week are eliminated from the Race.  When fewer than 8 players remain, only one low scorer is eliminated each week until a winner is declared.

GRECO -- Players arrange 25 PGs that they believe will be played in a week of shows on a Bingo card.  Players score points any time one of their picks appears on the show.  They score bonus points if they get five PGs in any row, column, or diagonal.  They also score bonus points if they can complete the weekly pattern that the host displays before the new week begins.  Sometimes, the host will throw in a special weekly rule, much like the ones in Amazing Race.  Once a season, a player may submit two different GRECO cards in a week, with the highest scoring card of the two being the one that counts in the weekly standings.  Low scores are eliminated each week until a winner is declared.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
I knew about GRECO, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was played. It sounds like fun.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
I may not have participated in the original GRECO, but I remember playing in 2 of the 3 "special" weeks of GRECO.  For some reason, it was discontinued after the 3rd week.
I also remember at one point trying to find the rules of all of these games once I became interested in playing in them, but by that point, only CSS and Host Your Own were still being played and the other threads seemed to have disappeared.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:17:49 PM by JokerFan »

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:11:47 AM »
I knew about GRECO, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was played. It sounds like fun.

It was a lot of fun, especially when in chat people yelled "GRECO DAMMIT!" after completing a line or pattern
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23