Author Topic: A New Pricing Game - Blackout  (Read 4653 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
A New Pricing Game - Blackout
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
Seeing the other game idea reminded me of mine, so here it is:

The game would be called BlackOut and it would be played for two prizes.

At the onset of the game the contestant would be shown a board with 8 possible prices on the board, with the prices of the prizes being included. Also there would be 6 seperate black boards.

The contestant will have to use the black boards and "blackout" prices that they believe are incorrect. Of course, with six black boards, the odds are not in their favor.

But the cotestant can get rid of up to 4 of the black boards if the can correctly me if the correctly tell me the prices of small prizes (the choices would be either higher, lower or true).

After the side game, the contestant will then "black-out" prices with their remaining boards and they win any of the prizes left uncovered. I hope this trial clears it up:

_______________________________________ ____

Come on up to the stage Eric, where you will be able to win these prizes.

A wall mirror and a trip to Norway

To win those prizes, you are going to play Blackout.

[4590] [7098]                               
[2895] [5550]                               
[8649] [3870]                   
[9099] [6629]                   

[****] [****]               
[****] [****]
[****] [****]

Now in a moment, I am going to ask you to use these black tiles to blackout prices you think don't belong to either the mirror or the clock. But to make it easier, I help you try to get rid of some of these tiles.

Pricing Portion:

Book       Stereo        Hat         Spatula
             $15          $89         $110          $50
Guess:   True        Higher      Lower        Lower
Actual:   True        Lower       Lower         True
             $15          $60          $99           $50
          [****]                     [****]

[4590] [7098]                               
[2895] [5550]                               
[8649] [3870]                   
[9099] [6629]                   

[****] [****]               
[****] [****]
[****] [****]

You got rid of two of the six, so now place these four tiles on prices you think are wrong

(places them on $4590, $2895, $5550 and $9099)

[****] [7098]                               
[****] [****]                               
[8649] [3870]                   
[****] [6629] 

Now I hope you're winner. Light up the right prices!

[****] [7098]                               
[****] [****]                                
[8649] [3870]                   
[****] [6629]

Well, you win the trip to Norway. Congrats (Notice the colors coordinate)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:24:03 PM by 123123123 »

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: A New Pricing Game - Blackout
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
So if the correct price is not covered up they win.....correct?
In the example they only got 2 of the 4 sp's...so ou tof the 6 boards they must use 2 were eliminated leaving 4 visible prices....I see..
Very creative!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
That sounds like a very interesting game.

I am curious, though, whether you could give a graphic example with pictures, because I can understand better visually like that. I think I have it understood, but just want to make sure.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
That sounds like a very interesting game.

I am curious, though, whether you could give a graphic example with pictures, because I can understand better visually like that. I think I have it understood, but just want to make sure.

Sure, here is a logical sequence of graphics that correspond to the above trial:

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »
There are 8 possible prices, and it appears you can eliminate at most 4.  You got 2 of the SP/GPs right, so shouldn't that mean you remove two?  It appears that you remove four.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
There are 8 possible prices, and it appears you can eliminate at most 4.  You got 2 of the SP/GPs right, so shouldn't that mean you remove two?  It appears that you remove four.

You don't eliminate any of the prices with the SP's, you lower the number of prices you have to cover up with the black tiles. Since there were 6 black tiles at the start, and 2 of the SP's were guessed correctly, 6-2=4.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:49:16 PM by 123123123 »

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
I actually like this; it's very unique. Can't say I can think of another game where the object is to leave yourself with the most amount of prices possible! :lol:
Signatures are overrated.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
Let me see if I understand it.  The number of SPs guessed right equals the number of black tiles you cover up (you can cover up a maximum of 4 of 6).  What do you do with the 8 prices?  Place them on the black tiles that you don't cover up?  If so, where do you want the prices for the prizes--on the not-covered up tile or not moved at all?

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 08:17:21 AM »
Let me see if I understand it.  The number of SPs guessed right equals the number of black tiles you cover up (you can cover up a maximum of 4 of 6).  What do you do with the 8 prices?  Place them on the black tiles that you don't cover up?  If so, where do you want the prices for the prizes--on the not-covered up tile or not moved at all?

You do not cover the black tiles and the 8 prices don't move, you use the black tiles to cover up prices that are incorrect on the main grid.

At the beginning, you have to cover six of the eight prices with the black boards, since you start with 6 black tiles.

For every correct SP, I lower the number of black tiles. This will, in turn, increase your chances of leaving the correct prices uncovered because you do not have to cover as many

I actually like this; it's very unique. Can't say I can think of another game where the object is to leave yourself with the most amount of prices possible! :lol:

Thanks, I tried to make it as original as possible.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:25:52 AM by 123123123 »

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Okay.  So I got the two mixed up.  For each of the SPs, you get right, you get to move one fewer blackboards over one of the 8 prices.  The idea is to not cover up the two correct prices (or cover up the incorrect prices).  If you get 2 SPs correct, you move 4 (6-2=4) blackboards over an incorrect price.  If you get 1 SP correct, you move 5 (6-1=5) blackboards.  The idea is to move as few blackboards as you can, because the more blackboards you move, the more likely it is that you move a blackboard over the correct price.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
Okay.  So I got the two mixed up.  For each of the SPs, you get right, you get to move one fewer blackboards over one of the 8 prices.  The idea is to not cover up the two correct prices (or cover up the incorrect prices).  If you get 2 SPs correct, you move 4 (6-2=4) blackboards over an incorrect price.  If you get 1 SP correct, you move 5 (6-1=5) blackboards.  The idea is to move as few blackboards as you can, because the more blackboards you move, the more likely it is that you move a blackboard over the correct price.

I think you have the concept of the game down now. So do you think it is a reasonable idea?

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
This is a GREAT idea for a pricing game! No joke; I'd LOVE to see this on the show! The concept is unique, the difficulty is close to perfect, and it's a nice spin on the pricing method from 5 Price Tags.

Wonderful job, 123. I can't wait to see this on your inevitable next show!  :-D
Stop the madness.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
This is a very creative idea, however I don't think it would work on the show. The main reason - length. It is really long for a 2-Prizer - about as long if not longer than 5 Price Tags. Maybe it would work better if it was for 2 cars? Then again, they don't want a 2 car game either so, eh.

Also, the difficulty seems a tad high on the SP portion since it can be True, Higher, or Lower.

However, again, it is a very creative idea, haven't seen anything like this that I can recall!
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Maybe it would work better if it was for 2 cars? Then again, they don't want a 2 car game either so, eh.

I thought about making it a two-car game, but I didn't think it was hard enough to win.  You'd have a better chance of winning 2 cars in this game than you would have at winning 1 car in Pathfinder or Gas Money.  (I don't know the numbers, this is just a assumption)

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
I agree that the game is very unique, with the best description being the anti-Barker's Markers.  However, there are a couple of suggestions I would like to make.

I see this as a turntable game, with the Blackout boards laid out in front of the prices similar to Bonkers and not side-by-side.  It makes that weird area next to it when you take them away. 

I'm not sure if I like three options for the SP's, but I would most certainly change the third option to "exact" and not "true", because "true" implies the other choice is "false".

The reveal should be thought about again, because I'm not quite sure how somebody would know that the mirror corresponds to red and the trip corresponds to blue.  I would say that the host should ask "light up the price of ....", and have that be able to shine through the board should it have been covered up.  In this way, the boards are more like black plastic rather than true blackboard material.

Giving away one of the prizes for being uncovered seems too easy.  I would say both are uncovered and you win, or you covered up one or two and you lose.

Vader is right with the timing issue, though.  One idea is to have only 2 SP's, with each correct answer reducing the number of boards by two.

In all honesty, I would do away with the SP's all together.  8 prices, 4 boards, go.

At the beginning, you have to cover six of the eight prices with the black boards, since you start with 6 black tiles.

I don't know if you meant it this way, but having contestants cover prices and then "reveal" some based on how well they do on the SP portion is a bad idea since you wouldn't be able to see what's underneath.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:17:17 PM by Flerbert419 »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024