Author Topic: What happens when you win The Price is Right?  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Snuffleupagus

• In Contestant's Row
What happens when you win The Price is Right?
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
The AV Club has the answer.

Marah Eakins interviewed 11 April 2012 Showcase Showdown winner Andrea Schwartz and reveals several interesting stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/n6zyy7g

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: What happens when you win The Price is Right?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
I love the question, "What would I do if I won the Showcase Showdown?", because the obvious answer is, "Proceed to the Showcase round."

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »
That article sort of comes off as depressing. Sure, you have the thrill and excitement and allure of winning fabulous prizes, but then there's the unhappy aftermath reality of having to actually pay the taxes on all of those things. Really makes you wonder how many people actually accept (or can afford to accept) the prizes they've "won."

When she said all of her Plinko winnings were deducted by the taxes, that's a real downer. If anything, this article reinforces better than anything else that the draw of going to and being a contestant on The Price is Right is more for the experience rather than actually winning anything.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »
That article sort of comes off as depressing. Sure, you have the thrill and excitement and allure of winning fabulous prizes, but then there's the unhappy aftermath reality of having to actually pay the taxes on all of those things. Really makes you wonder how many people actually accept (or can afford to accept) the prizes they've "won."

When she said all of her Plinko winnings were deducted by the taxes, that's a real downer. If anything, this article reinforces better than anything else that the draw of going to and being a contestant on The Price is Right is more for the experience rather than actually winning anything.

I'd like to think otherwise. Even after taxes and selling the prizes for much less than retail, I'd sure be happy with $17,000+ in cold hard cash after everything was said and done, she sure sounded like she was!
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
Whaddaya know, vadernader and I agree on something.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
I think it is stupid how some of the people who commented on the interview think the plinko board is rigged.  There is no way in heck it can be. 

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
I think it is stupid how some of the people who commented on the interview think the plinko board is rigged.  There is no way in heck it can be. 

Well, they proved a few years ago that it can be.  It isn't, however, because CBS and Fremantle don't want to have to deal with the severe backlash that would accompany it.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
CBS and Fremantle don't want to have to deal with the severe backlash that would accompany it.

Especially since part of that "backlash" comes in the form of prison time.

I love the question, "What would I do if I won the Showcase Showdown?", because the obvious answer is, "Proceed to the Showcase round."

Maybe the fact that no one outside of this board knows that the Showcase Showdown is really the Big Wheel round is an indication that it was unwisely named.

Offline Snuffleupagus

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Maybe the fact that no one outside of this board knows that the Showcase Showdown is really the Big Wheel round is an indication that it was unwisely named.

Wait, what? That's the first time I've heard of that!
I always thought the Showcase Showdown = Big Wheel and Showcase = Showcase Showdown.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
Wait, what? That's the first time I've heard of that!
I always thought the Showcase Showdown = Big Wheel and Showcase = Showcase Showdown.
According to you, you're saying that the Showcase= the Big Wheel, because if the Showcase Showdown= the Big Wheel and the Showcase= the Showcase Showdown, then the Showcase must also equal the Big Wheel
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
Perhaps the confusion regarding "showcase showdown" stems from the fact that the showcase round pits two contestants against each other, hence, it's a showdown.

The big wheel certainly pits three contestants against each other, but, I believe the term "showdown" is more readily recognizable in the public vernacular when it involves two people or two parties, i.e. the showdown between the United States and Iraq or the showdown between the Wyatts and the Earps.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
I see that they're liberally using the terms "Expert Witness" and "industry insider," considering that they are interviewing a contestant (understandably overwhelmed by being selected but therefore less likely to remember specific details) who strongly implies that making a custom t-shirt gives you an advantage and that audience members are secretly being watched via security cameras to determine their suitability as contestants.

(When I was a page, I occasionally had to turn down an innocuous offer of candy or the like to avoid any perception of impropriety. I can't be positive that all of the employees working with the audience members know to do that, but if one or more of them accepted a doughnut, well, they really shouldn't have.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
I think the idea might have been more along the lines of, "You're not supposed to eat food while on duty".  I can't see the harm with accepting candy or something from another state that cannot be found locally, and consuming it with lunch.  Otherwise it's the same as when I was an arena usher (special events for a local hockey team; at the time the building easily sold out 5,000+ fans per game).  There was one time I had been sick with a nasty 24 hour flu bug or something and didn't eat dinner, thinking I'd be fine since I couldn't eat...then I suddenly felt better AND hungry as the shift started at 6 p.m.  I had to seek supervisor permission to quickly chow down a hot dog somewhere out of sight of most people (not too hard since not many were there yet) so I'd get through the evening.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »

This is something that angers me. I don't understand why the government gets to stick their hand into every game show winner's pocket; in fact, it's the government who must find game shows to be a windfall! I heard that Ken Jennings got only about half of his $2.5 million; that's a huge loss. And as Jeff Kent famously said on Survivor last year, "it's only $600,000 after Obama gets his part of it." Rather ridiculous for them to take away almost half your winnings.

This is also why I'd hate to win a trip on The Price Is Right unless it was to somewhere outside the 48 states. Especially if it was to a crime-ridden city such as Chicago or New York. I'd really like to know what percentage of non-cash prizes are turned down, and especially what percentage of non-cash, non-car prizes are turned down. I'd bet it would be around 20%.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:41 AM »
Let's try to leave politics out of this as much as possible, guys (even if I do agree with the majority of the above post). Generally doesn't end well 'round these parts. :)
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.