Author Topic: MLB baseball 2014  (Read 60860 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: MLB baseball 2014
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
You the rate of such surgeries is way up since the turn to the 21st century. Pitchers are throwing harder and faster than ever so we're seeing a lot of strain on tendons and ligaments. Perhaps it would be best to really limit the innings of all pitchers below the age of 25 to reduce the risk though there's no way to eliminate that risk. Did anyone hear about that pitcher who threw 194 pitches in a high school game? That's absolutely asinine.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
194 pitches? At that rate, he's going to need Tommy John before he even gets drafted. There's no point in throwing that many at that age.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
I wonder if perhaps pitchers are "babied" too much, which actually causes more strain on the ligaments. Years ago, pitchers would throw 150, even close to 200 pitches in a game, and didn't have many problems. Nolan Ryan is a good example of that. It could be mechanics.

One theory I heard by former 30 game winner Denny McLain was that lowering the mound after 1968 causes more strain on the arms and motions of pitchers. I don't think he cited any kind of scientific research with that comment.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
My Diamondbacks win 2 out of 3 to take the series against the Dodgers. If feels great to win this series and it's always a great day when the Dodgers lose! :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline catfan2002

• Double Showcase Winner
    • my facebook page
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Reds beat the Nationals 4-3 in a 15 inning game
http://bigeastsports.blogspot.com/

HYO winnings: $125,862 and counting

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
Not MLB, but I just saw an IL game end on a walk off balk. Yes, a balk. Weird thing.

Happened today in Cleveland. Al Albuquerque balks in Asdrubal Cabrera from third for a 11-10 win in the 13th. This after they gave up a run in the top of the inning.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
Jeff Smardzija (0-4) currently leads the majors with a 1.46 ERA.

Yes, you read that correctly.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline sonicmaster5000

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
This is evidence that the pitcher can't win all the games by himself. Need some help with offense as well.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
This is evidence that the pitcher can't win all the games by himself. Need some help with offense as well.

Yesterday was more on Darwin Barney's shoulders.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline corneliuscarter

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
My biggest surprise are the Milwaukee Brewers. Ryan Braun is playing like he never left the Brewers last season. I think Milwaukee put what happened last year and moved forward. Granted it's early, but I think the Brewers have what it takes to make the playoffs.

My biggest disappointment is the Pittsburgh Pirates. Last season, they made the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades. This season, they're off to a 19-26 start. If the Pirates don't improve soon, they can forget about making the playoffs.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I'm truly surprised that the Blue Jays and the Angels are doing well. Like the Brewers, I think they may have what it takes to go far. I don't know what happened to the defending world champs. The Red Sox have lost nine straight, including today on a walk-off error in the 15th.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
No offense to any Blue Jays fans but if the Blue Jays are leading the division, then you know the AL East is really bad.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Brewers and Blue Jays both due for major regression.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
No offense to any Blue Jays fans but if the Blue Jays are leading the division, then you know the AL East is really bad.
Either last year and the year before and Toronto lead the division for a good clip and the whole division was strong.

That being said the division this year sucks. The Orioles are 2.5 games back of Toronto at this point and they're one game from .500. For comparison, in the AL Central and AL West, teams with a record of .500 are 5.5 games back of the division lead in both divisions.

I agree with Adam about the Blue Jays, they may be having a nice run right now, but it's not going to last. I wouldn't count them out for the post-season, I wouldn't count any team out at this point, but the Blue Jays are probably going to falter.

I'm not too sure about Milwaukee. I think they could keep it up, it might be difficult with the Cardinals chasing them down, but they've been playing well since the word go.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »
I think Milwaukee is more for real than some think but when it comes to baseball I'm always going to believe in St. Louis. Their track record is just so historically good you have to trust them. On the other hand it's a sad commentary on the A.L. East if Toronto wins it.