Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166013 times)

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2023, 10:50:10 PM »
a couple hours after the video in the post above me, this shows up

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #421 on: October 20, 2023, 10:54:04 PM »
Wink uploaded two office run-throughs of Body Talk before it reached the pilot stage in 1990. The first one features eventual host Vicki Lawrence and was closer to the format of the pilot that Buzzr first aired about eight years ago. The second one is more interesting: A year after his version of Now You See It wrapped up, Chuck Henry hosts a run-through, with a rather truncated format compared to Vicki's.

These videos provide an insight about how a host can bring different styles to the same format and the results can be quite stark. I felt Vicki was able to cut loose and be herself more in a pretty casual game, while Chuck played it straight with more traditional game show hosting and moved things along like a good facilitator. It's like the comparison I once heard about the hosting styles of Bob Barker and Tom Kennedy on The Price is Right: One was hosting 300 people at a party, while the other was hosting 300 people at a game show.

Vicki Lawrence's run-through:

Chuck Henry's run-through:
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2023, 09:58:28 PM »
Suit Yourself Pilot with Jim Peck

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #423 on: October 24, 2023, 07:33:14 PM »
and now, something I can't even explain (the "quickie" format of the video doesn't help, mind you)

update to THIS post in particular, the full thing's been posted now (don't mind it being labeled as "SURPRISE!" at the time i made this post and dropped the link)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2023, 12:17:24 PM »
Dear lord, what on earth was that mess?

Offline C8

« Reply #425 on: October 25, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
Oh dear.

Carnival is some unearthly mix of Let's Make a Deal, Truth or Consequences, and a bad acid trip.

Little wonder it never got picked up.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »
and the LMAD comparisons carry extra weight: it was Hatos-Hall

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2023, 04:24:33 PM »
Here's a pilot of Fortune Hunters

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #428 on: November 09, 2023, 05:16:13 PM »
Case #1,397 on why adding celebrities to a successful game show doesn't work. Made the normally fast-paced Joker's Wild DRAG!!!:
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #429 on: November 09, 2023, 06:12:28 PM »
and you thought the Pat Finn and Snoop Dogg formats were at a snails pace...

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #430 on: November 09, 2023, 08:56:47 PM »
In fairness, none of the Barry and Enright shows were exactly fast paced.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #431 on: November 09, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
I can see this working better in a self-contained, once-a-week syndicated version of the show.

This format, with Jack asking the questions, seems to work better than the 1968 and 1970 pilots. The joke coming from an answer rather than being written within the question is smoother and has a better payoff. The celebrities also weren't that closely associated with their category much, unlike the previous attempts. Marty Ingles seemingly came the closest, since he starred in a dirty movie with Linda Lovelace the following year.

They did go with this format for one week in January 1974. I'm assuming the categories still changed every game since it would get old fast seeing the same five all week... even if they were associated with particular celebrities.

But like I said, this could have worked pretty well as a once-a-week show, but with some slight changes: Either go back to the regular amounts ($50-$100-$200) and play two games with two different sets of contestants, or keep it as is with just the same two contestants in the half hour... and maybe have an audience game if there's time leftover after a quick maingame. I've always liked the Jokers and Devils bonus game over the Money Wheels, especially when it contained four prizes with the last one usually being a car. Since no returning champions on the nighttime, the bonus game should have three nice prizes (Full Kitchen-Fur Coat-Luxurious Cruise) and then a mid-range car.

It could've been an interesting alternative format to the daytime show, but ultimately not needed for the show's legacy. Whether or not it would have been a ratings hit, I don't know; but it was still a fun half hour that I never found myself bored during.

This was such a treat to see, especially because I've been on a Joker's Wild kick lately. And I've always preferred the CBS run over the syndicated run. Not that I don't enjoy all versions... they all have some merit. I think this is the only episode circulating that falls between Summer 1973 and May 1974.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #432 on: November 09, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »
In fairness, none of the Barry and Enright shows were exactly fast paced.

Really? I thought The Joker's Wild with Barry or Jim Pick hosting went pretty fast. Before the audience game was added they often got in three full games and bonus rounds in one episode. Probably a reason why they felt they could add an audience portion, there was still enough time to get about two full games in.

Now, when Bill Cullen took over for Jack THAT'S when the show's pace really slowed down.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #433 on: November 09, 2023, 10:37:18 PM »
Well, obviously Monty was going for a new daily syndicated show with this one, which is why he ended Let's Make a Deal. Yet ANOTHER Hollywood Squares derivative!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 10:56:12 PM by Alfonzo »

Offline C8

« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2023, 11:05:41 PM »
Case #1,397 on why adding celebrities to a successful game show doesn't work. Made the normally fast-paced Joker's Wild DRAG!!!:

What a STRANGE panel. There's some who look like they wandered onto the wrong set and got sat down so as not to ruin a take. Robert Reed was such a bizarro choice for a game show panelist because he's well known for seeing his talent as "above it all" and he definitely seems like he'd rather be somewhere else. I think the most interesting thing for me is that Pat Buttram maintained his disheveled old cowboy stchick so faithfully (see Haney, Mr.) that I was caught off guard seeing him all cleaned up with combed hair and a real suit! I will say he must have been going through it as Green Acres had only been off the air two years but he looked like he'd aged 20.

Well, obviously Monty was going for a new daily syndicated show with this one, which is why he ended Let's Make a Deal. Yet ANOTHER Hollywood Squares derivative!

Boy that got off to a strange start. Watch Pat forget to pick up his ball and you can see Jack Klugman absolutely losing his mind trying to get Pat to pick it up. As a dyed in the wool Golden Girls and Mama's Family fan, Rue McClanahan was a neat panelist to see...but I think there's a reason she didn't really do the game show circuit.