Author Topic: 1990: 5-Digit Money Game on the Old Board  (Read 2194 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
1990: 5-Digit Money Game on the Old Board
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
I know we've had a pic in our Golden Gallery of 5-digit Money Game on the original set with a black card with a yellow asterisk covering the middle number.  Here, there is a part of the car covering up the third digit, like the current set does.  Credit goes to YouTube user Brianna Cleary.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
Re: 1990: 5-Digit Money Game on the Old Board
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
That's interesting. This episode is likely from November 16, 1990. The only other times Money Game was played first that year were in the Spring, and it was clearly Fall in the home movie.

The current Money Game board has been around since just before I was born, and I've never thought of it to be very attractive. The original board looks way better.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Matthew Armistead

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
I know for a fact that 5-digit Money Game was first played on the nighttime specials in 1986. But when was the first ACTUAL 5-digit playing of Money Game, if anyone knows?

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
As per the TPIR Timeline, 5-digit Money Game was first played October 8, 1985

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
Actually, there was a brief period, (which I believe only last one game, and Barker realized during the playing the "first two, last two" rule no longer applied) where the first digit was the freebie, and the 2nd through 5th digits had to be guessed.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
As per the TPIR Timeline, 5-digit Money Game was first played October 8, 1985
I know the Kennedy version that was going on at the time referred to it as Big Money Game, and IIRC, the daytime show did likewise.

Actually, there was a brief period, (which I believe only last one game, and Barker realized during the playing the "first two, last two" rule no longer applied) where the first digit was the freebie, and the 2nd through 5th digits had to be guessed.
I'll bet the show realized after this one playing you're speaking of that it would never work out, so it was decided that from then on, the middle number would be given instead.