Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/28/2015  (Read 11992 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 1/28/2015
« on: January 28, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6983K
Aired – 1/28/2015; Taped – 11/13/2014
Models: Amber Lancaster, Melissa Ordway
Microphone Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Kitchen Island and Cookware (Home Styles Furniture: Stylish island with storage drawers, wide rack, 2 stools; Le Creuset: 9-piece collection of cookware); ARP: $2,199 (Melissa)

AQUIANA MICHAEL ASHLEY SEAN
800 1900 600 900

The winner is...
MICHAEL

Michael is playing Freeze Frame for new kitchen appliances (Contemporary suite of 5-burner gas grill, French-Door Fridge and built-in dishwasher) (Amber) .

$6547
  53 24  
98     65
32     47
  86 10  

LOSS

Second IUFB: Area Rug and Robot Vacuum and Mop (5x7 rug and iRobot vacuum and mop that + replenshing kit and accessories); ARP: $1,650 (Melissa)

AQUIANA SHARON ASHLEY SEAN
1500 1112 1200 1300

The winner is...
AQUIANA

Aquiana is playing Most Expen$ive for:

1. Television (70in LED Smart 3DHDTV with razor sharp display, 8 pairs of 3D glasses) (Amber).
2. Sauna (Crystal Saunas: 3-person infared saunas with seven color therapy lights) (Melissa).
3. Pair of Bicycles (Single-speed bikes with chopper bars) (George).

Guess: 2.

$2200 $3295 $1398 WIN

Third IUFB: Pair of Laptops (14in PCs with 26GB RAM, 16GB solid state drive, printer, hard-shell cases); ARP: $1,015 (Rachel)

AMANDA SHARON ASHLEY SEAN
3000 2400 2500 1

The winner is...
SEAN

Sean is playing Pathfinder for a 2015 Toyota Yaris L (1.5L engine, 4-speed AT, cargo mat, paint/fabric protection, LoJack Plus) (Melissa).

Small prizes:

1. Egg Cooker
  2. Dessert Maker
  3. Water Flosser

7? EROO!

$57
$80
FLOSSER
$57
$80
$80

8? *bells*

3? *bells*

9? EROO!

$36
$65
EGG
COOKER
$36
$65
$36

6? EROO!

$130
$170
DESSERT
MAKER
$130
$170
$130

5? *bells*

7? EROO!

LOSS (Total Winnings: $246)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Sean $1,261 20 25 .45
Michael $2,199 10 55 .65 *SHOWCASE*
Aquiana $8,543 55 75 1.30
OVER

Fourth IUFB: Bass Guitar (Spector: 4-string bass guitar; Aguilar: Amplifier); ARP: $2,768 (Melissa)

AMANDA SHARON ASHLEY MARC
1500 912 1501 1125

The winner is...
ASHLEY

Ashley is playing SWITCH? for a trip to Seattle (RT Coach to Seattle, WA for a 6n stay in a deluxe king room at the Hyatt at Olive 8 + daily breakfast) (Amber) and a trip to Savannah (RT Coach to Savannah, GA for a 6n stay in a deluxe king guest room at the Westin Savannah Harbor + daily breakfast) (Melissa).

These prices are either correct or need to be switched:

SEATTLE
$6688
SWITCH?
SAVANNAH
$4912
SWITCH?

Ashley chooses to switch...

SEATTLE
$4912
$4912
SAVANNAH
$6688
$6688

WIN

Fifth IUFB: Designer Handbags (Cole Haan: 4 polished bags); ARP: $782 (Amber)

AMANDA SHARON FELICIA MARC
650 770 575 769

The winner is...
SHARON

Sharon is playing It's In The Bag for a chance to win up to $16,000.

Grocery items:

1. MoJo Trail Mix Bar
  2. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
  3. Kraft American Cheese
  4. Gain Laundry Detergent
  5. Thai Chili Tuna Snack
  6. Quaker Chocolate Flavored Rice Cakes

TRAIL MIX
DETERGENT
RICE CAKES
CHEESE
OVEN CLEANER

$1.29
$12.99
$2.49
$3.69
$5.49

TRAIL MIX
DETERGENT
TUNA
RICE CAKES
OVEN CLEANER

$1,000
$2,000
LOSS
$8,000
$16,000

Sixth IUFB: Satellite Radio Package (Satellite radio with Bluetooth, 4 speakers, subscription); ARP: $649 (Amber and Melissa)

AMANDA REGINA FELICIA MARC
1 975 750 1150

The winner is...
AMANDA

Amanda is playing Dice Game for a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE (2.4L engine, 6-speed AT, FWD, carpeted floor mat, cargo net) (Amber).

1st roll...
Picks: N/A

2nd roll...
Picks: Lower

3rd roll...
Picks: Higher

4th roll...
Picks: Higher

This technically was the 5th roll, because the first attempt on the 4th dice rolled right off the board.

ARP is:

WIN

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Sharon $782 45 30 .75
Ashley $14,368 75 STAY .75
Amanda $22,784 70 20 .90 *SHOWCASE*

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Amanda has the honors...

SC1 - Michael

FINER THINGS IN LIFE
  • Diamond Earrings (Super Jewelers: 14ct white gold diamond earrings with 1ct diamond earrings) (Melissa)
  • Trip to Thailand (RT Coach to Phuket, TH for a 6n stay in a Avista Club Room at the Avista Phuket Resort and Spa + dinner, traditional Thai massage) (Amber)
  • Sailboat (West Wight Potter: 15ft Premium Edition with teak cabin top handrails, Lewmar ports with stainless steel, trailer) (Melissa)
Bid: $22,400

SC2 - Amanda

THE JOURNEY
  • Trip to San Diego (RT Amtrak in Business Class to San Diego, CA for a 3n stay at the Bahia Resort Hotel + paddleboard lesson, dinner, one-boat cruise) (Amber)
  • Motorcycle (Ducati: Monster 796 ABS with 803cc air-cooled engine) (Melissa)
  • Trip to Spain (RT Coach to Granada, SP for a 6n stay in a double room at a luxury hotel + rental car, private tour of Alhambra Palace) (Amber)
Bid: $25,500
Michael
$22,400
SAILBOAT
$27,684
$5,284
SAILBOAT
*WIN*
$29,883
Amanda
$25,500
TRIPS
$21,997
TRIPS

Results: 3 out of 6
Winnings: $77,621
Biggest Winner: Michael

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/28/2015
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
That was a devastating loss in Pathfinder. He priced all of the SPs correctly and made it all the way to the last digit, but went the wrong path (no pun intended). Such an unfortunate loss there.

And a bass guitar was offered today! Totally unexpected for it to return today! I wish George could've modeled it, though.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:31:14 PM »
It didn't even have a 0 or 5 for the last choice in Path either.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
My two cents:

Freeze Frame: Tough break. 'Nuff said.
Most Expensive: Piece of cake!
Pathfinder: OUCH! That was so close at the end!
Switch: Piece of cake, just like Most Expensive!
It's in the Bag: Tough break. 'Nuff said.
Dice Game: What a win!

Showcases: It's a no-brainer. The superior Showcase was the one with the diamonds, the trip to Thailand, and the WWP sailboat.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
I mean no offense to Swingbatta, but can we lose the term "superior showcase"? Price tags aren't everything, and - as the idiom says - one man's trash (or sailboat) is another man's treasure. Some people like boats. Others like motorcycles.

The fact that the show can at least offer something for everyone is a testament to what it offers.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »
I mean no offense to Swingbatta, but can we lose the term "superior showcase"? Price tags aren't everything, and - as the idiom says - one man's trash (or sailboat) is another man's treasure. Some people like boats. Others like motorcycles.

The fact that the show can at least offer something for everyone is a testament to what it offers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Facebook_like_thumb.png/897px-Facebook_like_thumb.png

Modified to link rather than image in accordance with rule, as follows. ~For everyone.

Also, please remember that videos and images should not be embedded in posts. Links will be sufficient for those due to people with slow display times.

That said, what Torgo said needed to be brought up and scrutinized a bit, really. It's not about the prizes, it's about the experience. Furthermore, for the purposes of being a contestant, barring a zonk or obvious gag prize, all prizes should be given roughly equal respect; taxes aside, you're getting them free!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:55:20 PM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
It's not about the prizes, it's about the experience. Furthermore, for the purposes of being a contestant, barring a zonk or obvious gag prize, all prizes given respect; taxes aside, you're getting them free!
Forgive me. But I always preferred sailboats (which can be sold more easily than trips) over most trips. I'm not a trip person.

Plus, there was this one time less than a year ago I preferred a TRIP-le Showcase (what I like to call a Showcase with 3 trips) all circus-related to be the superior one, because I love circuses.

And one time earlier this season, I preferred a football-themed Showcase, not because of the automobile, but because of football.

And on yesterday's program, I preferred the Showcase with the remote-controlled helicopters, disregarding the sports car.

You should also tell that to moneygamelover. He always considers any Showcase with an automobile the superior Showcase, even though not all cars are that good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:11:53 PM by Swingbatta0 »

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:13:38 PM »
Freeze Frame: A 50-50 shot between $5324 and $6547. I would have won this. It's unfortunate to start off with a loss, especially since that kitchen was a fantastic prize.

Most Expensive: Setup to be won. Clearly the bikes were the least expensive item. And most contestants would realize the sauna was the most expensive prize leaving the TV to be in the middle. This would have been won by most Easy as 1. 2,3 contestants as well, The TV was a superb prize and the bikes were okay.

Pathfinder: The SP setups were contestant friendly today. It's a shame today's contestant went for the 7 on the ones digit as 7 is probably the common ending digit for car prices. It's a shame the Toyota Yaris wasn't won. I had it pegged in the $17300 range so I would have won. How I played the tens digit, which I don't know, would have determined how many SPs I used. Up until the that tens digit I'd have had the same results as today's contestant.

Switch? Nice win of some nice Seattle and Savannah trips.

It's in the Bag: Bummer that nothing was won here. I would have bailed at $2000 with the bags the way they were.

Dive Game: Awesome segment. Just wonderful luck with the dice today and great to end the show with the Hyundai Sonata won. Three automatic numbers and the odds heavily in today's contestants favor by far on the other. Great way to end things today,

Showcases: This was a weak day for showcases but since I'm neither a boat person nor a jewelry person I preferred the Spain showcase with the San Diego trip in it.

Lineup: Outstanding: Pathfinder and Dice Game are both favorites and Dice Game is a brilliant closer. It's in the Bag is a favorite as well. Most Expensive and Freeze Frame are enjoyable games and as I prefer Freeze Frame as an early in the show game I like it as a lead off hitter. Switch? is our dullest two prize game BUT can be an enjoyable part of lineups if sandwiched in between two great games and that was certainly the case. Outstanding lineup.

Overall: 3 wins, including that car game win in that awesome Dice Game segment and outstanding lineup made this a good show today. Seeing some money, say $4000, or maybe even $2000, won on Baggy would have upgraded my rating to very good, Overall a good show.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:25:06 PM by moneygamelover »
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »
Since I can no longer edit my previous post,...

What I meant to say here:

Plus, there was this one time less than a year ago I preferred a TRIP-le Showcase (what I like to call a Showcase with 3 trips) all circus-related to be the superior one, because I love circuses.

I may not be a trip person, but love circuses.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
I mean no offense to Swingbatta, but can we lose the term "superior showcase"? Price tags aren't everything, and - as the idiom says - one man's trash (or sailboat) is another man's treasure. Some people like boats. Others like motorcycles

The whole point about commenting on recaps is to offer your opinion of that days episode or add to the current discussion in the thread. If we stop people from giving their opinions on which showcase they prefer then what else should they be not allowed to say? Would be a pretty big precedent.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:46:29 PM »
The whole point about commenting on recaps is to offer your opinion of that days episode or add to the current discussion in the thread. If we stop people from giving their opinions on which showcase they prefer then what else should they be not allowed to say? Would be a pretty big precedent.
But until those posts from Swingbatta above, he never really expanded on WHY that was the better showcase. Sometimes it seemed only the more expensive showcase was the better one, and that's not an opinion. That's a fact in statistic only.

I've got no problem with the term "Superior Showcase", but an explanation to go with it sometimes would be nice instead of leading us to assume that the reasoning is that it's more expensive. Anyone can say that. That's not really adding anything to the discussion.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »
First time I've noticed the new graphics on the Pathfinder podiums... nice fresh look, without changing a lot
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
THE BAD NEWS:

Freeze Frame: Just another of those "could've gone either way" setups. At least, Michael won his SC.

Pathfinder: Nothing but bad luck for Sean.

IITB: Sharon should've just bail out.

THE GOOD NEWS:

ME: Quick and easy win for Aquiana!

Switch: Ditto for Ashley...The distance rule strikes again!

Dice Game: Excellent win for Amanda...And great arms, too!

THE BOTTOM LINE:

A very good 1/2 and 1/2 show!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
But until those posts from Swingbatta above, he never really expanded on WHY that was the better showcase. Sometimes it seemed only the more expensive showcase was the better one, and that's not an opinion. That's a fact in statistic only.

I've got no problem with the term "Superior Showcase", but an explanation to go with it sometimes would be nice instead of leading us to assume that the reasoning is that it's more expensive. Anyone can say that. That's not really adding anything to the discussion.

I mean, when someone says "nice win" on a pricing game can that really be classified as "adding something to the discussion"? What about saying "good pick" in Money Game, or saying "should have bailed" in Pay the Rent? Or "that was a short lineup"? Aren't all of those in the same category? There's so many other cliches around the boards that get posted every single recap day in day out that to suddenly single one out seems a bit unfair and more of a personal attack than anything else. He's not detracting anything from anything just because he says "superior showcase", if you don't like those words there's always an ignore feature. It just seems like needlessly picking on someone who did nothing wrong.

I just don't think we should be censoring peoples posts based on a simple harmless opinion, a 2 word opinion at that! Even if it is solely by most expensive showcase (which it is not) then what is wrong with that? Just because someone might not agree with someone else's opinion does not mean it should be removed completely - especially if it is 100% harmless.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
I mean, when someone says "nice win" on a pricing game can that really be classified as "adding something to the discussion"? What about saying "good pick" in Money Game, or saying "should have bailed" in Pay the Rent? Or "that was a short lineup"? Aren't all of those in the same category? There's so many other cliches around the boards that get posted every single recap day in day out that to suddenly single one out seems a bit unfair and more of a personal attack than anything else. He's not detracting anything from anything just because he says "superior showcase", if you don't like those words there's always an ignore feature. It just seems like needlessly picking on someone who did nothing wrong.

I just don't think we should be censoring peoples posts based on a simple harmless opinion, a 2 word opinion at that! Even if it is solely by most expensive showcase (which it is not) then what is wrong with that? Just because someone might not agree with someone else's opinion does not mean it should be removed completely - especially if it is 100% harmless.
You act like this is the first time someone has had a problem with the posting style of someone. It's not. It's not suddenly singling someone else. It's having a problem with someone and saying so. If we're going to sit here and not state that we have a problem with someone then we aren't going to get anywhere. There is going to be no conversation because at that point, we might as well say that everyone is right and no one is wrong for fear of seeming to needlessly pick on someone. Yeah, people can go overboard when they disagree with someone, and that is something that needs to be monitored as well, but it's just as important as agreeing with someone.

Also, just because you don't add to the discussion doesn't mean you're detracting from it. I think there is certainly a middle ground. And what I said could apply to the other cliches you mentioned. Why was it a nice win to you? Why should they have bailed in your eyes? There doesn't need to be an explanation every time, there are 190 or so shows. To say something meaningful about every one of them would be quite a task. I completely understand that, but for me, it'd be nice to get a little insight sometimes. And I'm not saying that no one gives insight ever. People do. That's just my opinion in what I, myself, would like to see.

I agree with not removing the parts of the posts. I don't like censoring all that much depending on the instance. Also, I hate the "ignore" feature as the end all, be all solution to people's problems. I'm sorry if you can't handle what another person is posting, but sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la" doesn't solve anything and potentially deprives you from a wide array of opinions, no matter how disagreeable. I'm not calling you or anyone out, I'm just stating my thoughts on it.

It just seemed like Swingbatta was unjustly judging the showcases. DJTorgo, Prizes and others disagreed with his opinion and that's just within their right as it is for Swingbatta to say "Superior Showcase". That said, I agree, that he shouldn't be stopped from saying it. If you disagree with his opinion say so, don't erase it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.