Author Topic: USA Trip Locations  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Tom Dodge

• Outside in Line
USA Trip Locations
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »
I spend more time lurking this site than actual participating and because of my job, I watch TPIR via DVR either in the evening or weekend.  That said, I recently watched about 20 shows in the course of a weekend I started to actively pay attention to trip locations in the USA.  My question is has there been a trip to every state in the USA offered on TPIR? 

I thought about going through the recaps, but I wonder if someone has already tabulated this information.  I couldn't locate a similar topic either unless I typed in the wrong search criteria.

Tom

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: USA Trip Locations
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
Looking at site recaps, I can confirm the following. Going from west to east:

*All 13 Western states (MT/WY/CO/NM and westward)
*South Dakota (Mount Rushmore)
*Texas (several destinations)
*Minnesota (Mall of America)
*Missouri (St. Louis, last time offered on Bob's 90th Birthday, and in 2004 before that)
*Louisiana (New Orleans)
*Wisconsin (The Dells)
*Illinois (Chicago)
*Tennessee (Nashville, Memphis)
*Michigan (Mackinac Island)
*Indiana (Indianapolis)
*Alabama (Huntsville Space Camp)
*Ohio (Cleveland)
*West Virginia (Lansing via Charleston)
*Georgia (several locations)
*Florida (many locations)
*New York (several locations)
*Pennsylvania (Hershey, I'd wish they'd offer Pittsburgh/Philadelphia since they are decent places to visit
*New Jersey (Atlantic City)
*Maryland (Annapolis)
*Washington, DC
*Virginia (Hot Springs via Roanoake, Williamsburg may have been offered a long time ago)
*North Carolina (Ashville)
*South Carolina (Hilton Head/Charleston/Myrtle Beach)
*Vermont
*Massachusetts
*Rhode Island (Providence)
*New Hampshire
*Maine

As for the states that haven't been offered to my knowledge:
-North Dakota/Kasnas simply doesn't have much to offer being flat and boring.
-Oklahoma has some hilly sections in the east, but I'd have Hot Springs, Arkansas if offered cover that
-Iowa is close to the Wisconsin Dells in the East, but like Kansas/N. Dakota is another state without a huge tourist draw.
-I could see Arkansas being offered due to Hot Springs and the Ozarks.
-The Kentucky Derby makes Louisville a decent destination, though since NBC runs that event, it doesn't seem likely.
-Mississippi does have a coastal section (Biloxi-Gulfport), but much of that could be done with an easy day trip from New Orleans, and if Memphis is offered, that can cover the northern part of the state.
-Did you know that currently Delaware is the only state with no commercial air service? That means that Philadelphia or Baltimore are the closest airports to reach it, which is a huge red flag for any chance of a trip to this state. There is NASCAR and a big music festival in Dover in June along with some beaches, but overall this state has quite an under the radar feel mostly because of its small size.
*Connecticut does have some beaches and some quaint towns, but they tend to be more working as opposed to tourist-oriented, and lacks some of the big hills/mountains to states further North/West. Providence could cover the Mystic area for a day trip, and for the western portion, just take a Metro North train if you happen to win a NYC trip.

So, thats 41 states plus DC that the show has offered, and its unlikely that all of the other nine would be offered. Of them, I would most like to go to Mississippi.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:38:25 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »
Off of the top of my head, I know that trips to Rhode Island, Oklahoma and Mississippi have been offered.

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »
I live near Tulsa,OK.
I haven't seen any trips to Tulsa/Oklahoma City, OK yet.  Have they offered one at all?
I also haven't seen a trip to Branson,Missouri yet.   ;)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Off of the top of my head, I know that trips to Rhode Island, Oklahoma and Mississippi have been offered.

Rhode Island shouldn't have been hard since we had one to Providence today. ;)
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Rhode Island shouldn't have been hard since we had one to Providence today. ;)

That's why I mentioned it.   ;-)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
*Connecticut does have some beaches and some quaint towns, but they tend to be more working as opposed to tourist-oriented, and lacks some of the big hills/mountains to states further North/West.

My home state gets no love by the show :(
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »
A trip to Louisville has been offered at least once since Drew became host.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
-Did you know that currently Delaware is the only state with no commercial air service? That means that Philadelphia or Baltimore are the closest airports to reach it, which is a huge red flag for any chance of a trip to this state. There is NASCAR and a big music festival in Dover in June along with some beaches, but overall this state has quite an under the radar feel mostly because of its small size.

Can confirm; my brother went to the University of Delaware, and there is actually nothing there.

I can see it now: a round-trip flight to Philadelphia, and then on to Wilmington in a rental car to see the Bank of America headquarters.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
They've offered trips to Maine? What part of the state? (I'm originally from Dover-Foxcroft myself, roughly 50 miles north of Bangor)

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
When did they offer a trip to NH and where in NH was it? I'm from Concord, NH
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
They've offered trips to Maine? What part of the state? (I'm originally from Dover-Foxcroft myself, roughly 50 miles north of Bangor)

They've offered trips to Maine multiple times this season.  In fact, a quick search of the site pulled up at least four examples from this season alone.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
I did see a trip to Philadelphia offered as a showcase prize on an ep 10 years ago (along with ones to London and Tokyo, on a slightly-related note; personally, I'd love to visit all three).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:52:31 PM by jlgarfield »

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
Well, Delaware does have some pretty nice beaches in the southern section of the state (the Lewes/Rehoboth/Dewey/Bethany/Fenwick Island area), so it's possible a trip might be offered there at some point (or alternately to Cape May with a trip over on the ferry to the Delaware beaches), or maybe to Wilmington, which does have a number of interesting museums, including a few grand du Pont mansions. 

Offline Tom Dodge

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
So, thats 41 states plus DC that the show has offered, and its unlikely that all of the other nine would be offered. Of them, I would most like to go to Mississippi.

Wow, thanks for looking that up! 

I somewhat surprised that not all states haven't been visited over all the years TPIR has been on the air.  I live in Minnesota so I'm pretty familiar with the midwest and can think of some attractions in the less than ideal states.  For instance, Iowa has Lake Okoboji which is America's only clear blue water lake, plus according to Playboy magazine, was in the national top 10 for summer party places and in Kansas, they have the Kansas Cosmospere and Space Center plus the Underground Salt Museum.  I've been to all three of these places and they would make great trip destinations.  Granted, not as glitzy as Vegas or New York, but still something to appeal to some people.

Tom