Author Topic: 2015 NFL Season  (Read 86371 times)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
2015 NFL Season
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
We are officially one week away from the start of preseason with the Pro Football Hall of Fame game.

Who's your pick to win the Golden Super Bowl this February? I'm picking the Arizona Cardinals. I believe their defense will be strong and if Palmer can stay healthy, they will be a contender this year.

My division picks:

AFC East: Buffalo Bills
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South: Indianapolis Colts
AFC West: Denver Broncos

NFC East: New York Giants
NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC South: Carolina Panthers
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals

Wild Card picks:

AFC: New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins
NFC: Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:49:44 PM by bigblue999 »
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2015 NFL Season
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
I'm going with Packers vs Colts for the Super Bowl with the Packers winning it all.  Both teams are great and have the offense, but the Packers have the better defense of the two.  My division picks:

AFC East- Patriots
AFC North- Ravens
AFC South- Colts
AFC West- Broncos

NFC East- Cowboys
NFC North- Packers
NFC South- Panthers
NFC West- Seahawks

AFC Wild Cards- Steelers and Bengals
NFC Wild Cards- Saints and Vikings

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
Call me crazy, but I'm going with Panthers and Ravens, with the Ravens winning a close one. As for the division winners and wild cards, my choices are:

NFC EAST: Cowboys
NFC NORTH: Packers
NFC SOUTH: Panthers
NFC WEST: Seahawks

NFC WILD CARD: Lions, Cardinals

AFC EAST: Patriots
AFC NORTH: Ravens
AFC SOUTH: Colts
AFC WEST: Broncos

AFC WILD CARD: Bengals, Steelers

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
I'm picking the Packers to win the Super Bowl too. They've got (arguably) the most complete team and the motivation of avenging last year's NFC Championship game. And they'll beat the Steelers because I think they'll be the most "playoff ready" team going into the playoffs (look at who they have to play in their last 6 games and you'll see what I mean).

As to the rest of the playoff field...

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Steelers
AFC South: Colts
AFC West: Broncos

NFC East: Cowboys
NFC North: Packers
NFC South: Panthers
NFC West: Seahawks

AFC Wild Cards: Ravens and Dolphins
NFC Wild Cards: Giants and Lions

Also, Aaron Rodgers will repeat as NFL MVP.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
I too believe it's going to be Colts-Packers in Super Bowl L, with Rodgers's experience getting him world title #2, at this preliminary stage. 

For each division, I'm guessing: 

AFC East:  Patriots (but Miami makes a strong run, possibly with Tannehill reaching for elite status)
AFC North:  Ravens (Steelers a longer shot if they transition well enough) 
AFC South:  Colts (barring injuries, probably no question here) 
AFC West:  Broncos (but Chargers and Chiefs will probably make them work for it) 

NFC East:  either Cowboys or Eagles (it'll probably come down to whichever remains healthiest; New York could have a shot too)
NFC North:  Packers (too loaded not to, although Minnesota is getting stronger) 
NFC South:  Panthers (they could be major sleepers to win it all if Newton remains consistent, I feel)
NFC West:  Seahawks (still in prime shape for a Super Bowl run, particularly now with so many key contributors resigned) 

Best guess for AFC Wild Cards:  Dolphins, Chargers, Bills, Steelers 

Best guess for NFC Wild Cards:  second place finisher in NFC East, Cardinals, Vikings 

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
It is still not going to be the Packers.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
AFC East: Dolphins. The Patriots will make a run at the division once Brady returns but the 4 game hiatus opens the door for other teams and I like Tanahill as an up and coming quarterback and with Suh now teaming with Wake that pass rush will be dominant. I do think that the Patriots get a wild card. The Bills have some weapons in McCoy and Watkins and their defense is good but their quarterback situation will keep them out of the playoffs. The Jets are too weak offensively to be a factor.

AFC North: Steelers: Big Ben had an awesome year last year and I see that continuing. The Bengals should have made a coaching change several years ago and the Browns are the worst organization in the AFC. The Ravens are an X factor that could complete for a wild card, especially if Flacco has 1 of his better years.

AFC South: Colts for sure. With an awesome off season adding Gore and Johnson, Luck has loads of weapons to work with as he enters his prime. Even with a strong defense with Watt, the loss of Johnson and the quarterback situation will prevent the Texans from being relevant and now Foster is hurt. I think Mariotta is a wait and see proposition but the Titans are a couple years away under a best case scenario. This division belongs to the Colts.

AFC West: Broncos: Peyton is past his prime and the loss of"the other Thomas" doesn't help but none of the other teams are really good enough to dethrone them. The Raiders will be improved and Carr and Cooper will be a duo to watch but the Raiders won't be good enough to complete for the division. Jamaal Charles is totally awesome baby but he doesn't have enough help around him and I don't sense that the Chargers will be good enough to dethrone the Broncos either. Any of the 3 could be a wild card but I think the Ravens take the 2nd wild card.

NFC East: Eagles: Stealing Murray from the Cowboys was a double showcase winner for the Eagles getting themselves a star player while weakening their division rival in the process. And they have good receivers. Bradford ay not be durable but I'm taking the Eagles here. The Cowboys lost Murray and haven't exactly found a good back to replace him. Even so with Bryant aboard and the offensive line the Cowboys have I'd pick them for a wild card if it hadn't been for the fact that they had an intra team fight a few days ago. That is very worrying as it seems that the boys in big D have chemistry issue. The Giants season could go either way and the Redskins are the worst organization in the NFL and have been since Synder bought them.

NFC North: Packers. I don't like the Packers but Rodgers is an elite regular season quarterback. I think I now like the Vikings rather than the Cowboys for the 2nd wild card. I think Bridgewater will continue to develop and I have a gut feeling that Peterson will come back with a vengeance. The Lions lost too much to free agency and the Bears are stuck with Cutler.

NFC South: Panthers: Newton is coming along nicely and that defense should be elite. The Falcons will be mediocre at best and I don't think team bountygate will be a factor. I'm so glad team bountygate has been weakened by the loss of Graham. I think Winston will have a lot of growing pains as a first year.

NFC West: Seahawks: Their defense is still strong, Lynch is back, and the addition of Graham gives Wilson an outstanding new weapon. I think my Cardinals will take the first wild card as our defense is strong, I think Palmer will have a bounce back year and we have decent receivers. The Rams have a good enough defense to win the Super Bowl but their offensive offense will keep them out of the playoffs. Gurley was a great pickup but the Rams still need help at the quarterback and receiver positions. The 49ers are now a terrible organization that suffered a lot of retirement and free agent losses and will suck and that's a good thing.

Super Bowl pick: Colts over Seahawks.

My realistic goals for my Cardinals are to beat team bountygate in week 1 and to make the playoffs.

GO CARDINALS!!!! :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 02:14:58 AM »
Not sure why everyone is convinced and assuming Brady's suspension is being upheld at four games, if at all, given the court case pending, not to mention the mounds of evidence that has me still believing he's not only innocent, but the whole deal is held up by the Ideal Gas Law, which Vincent claimed to have ignored during the leaked statements earlier today. Furthermore, the precedent, in either case, as held by the CBA, and prior examples: First, and foremost, the inflation policies. These state that only $25,000 can be fined, and it's a team fine. It is not an individual player's fine. Secondly, furthermore, even if such is the case intentionally, and we assume Brady had wrongdoing, Favre's non-compliance was $500,000; not four games and $2 million. Also that Goodell claimed that he would not get punished for refusing to hand over his cell phone. There's even debate about that, if he's contractually obliged to. The CBA says nothing about these items.

As for the cell phone crap? Yeah, that doesn't look good, but I find it a major red herring to the actual point. See my final sentence of the first paragraph. Because I expect this argument to be used against me: Brady is not a repeat offender, and for that matter, neither are the Patriots. 18 months is the span you have between offenses to be labeled differently, as stated by the CBA, and more commonly recognized in Suh's stomping of Aaron Rodgers' leg.

Last note: Even if this all was intentionally done, which doubts the science, Goodell's hypocritical stances of inadmissability of evidence, etc. this does not impact the integrity of the game, no matter how much he says as much. Salary cap breaches (historically), steroids, head trauma, and domestic violence are much more pressing issues in this league. On the third and fourth points, look no further than the Junior Seau controversy in Canton, and Hardy's suspension, which is now equal to Brady's. In what world should Hardy have equal punishment?

This needed to be said, because this whole process pisses me off. It's an illogical consequence that ignores the science behind it all, covered with smokescreen. Media and NFL delight; more eyeballs, more storylines, and more interest in the product during its offseason when baseball usually reigns supreme. My point of saying all this? Two pronged: Correct common mistakes being made here, especially those assuming Brady is out for the first four games, extremely prematurely, and in light of existing evidence, and the awful work of Exponent. The other reasons? Well, predictions.

As such, here are my divisional breakdowns:

AFC East: Patriots. Brady plays all 16 games, similar to last year's numbers, with a slight uptick overall, but still enough to be a Top 5 QB by the advanced metrics, thanks to a weakened defense, especially its secondary, even if the front seven will be fun to watch. The first game agains the Steelers will score record ratings, and the fifth game of the year, at Indianapolis, will end with many narratives of the Patriots running up the score the next day. They win this fairly easily.

AFC North: Steelers. It feels odd to type this, but the big problem with Pittsburgh will be its defense. They are a great offensive team, having ranked second last year in weighted offensive DVOA.

AFC South: Colts, because there is no other option at this point. I thought they had a very poor offseason, still not addressing their run defense concerns, and added offensive pieces that add little to no upgrade to fix their holes. Hoyer and Mallett don't wow, but the rest of the team does, especially its D-Line. Foster being hurt is no matter, given a RB's little value to a team in today's game; Blue is competent enough.

AFC West: Broncos, and not by a lot. I think Peyton still has enough in him to get to the playoffs, but it won't be much, certainly not enough for a bye. The defense remains average, the ST poor, and the offense very good, excellent if Manning shows his last few months were no more than a fluke.

AFC Wild Cards: While they won't win the division (unless Brady's suspension is held up, even then not sure I'd pick Miami), I think the Dolphins are an absolutely interesting team to watch this season as the 5 seed. How far they go is kind of like Denver: It's all up to Tannehill. Love most of their parts, but I don't think he's quite there. They could be the Ravens a few years ago, given their makeup. Likewise, a similar team in excitement, if likely less so QB-wise, my team for the 6 seed is the Texans.

NFC East: No idea what Chip Kelly was doing; I'd put the Giants above them right now. Murray is a vast overpay, and like the Colts, money better used elsewhere. Running back are fungible. Dallas will be fine, not only for this reason, but their downright awesome offensive line. I see no reason to pick against Dallas right now for this division.

NFC North: Packers; very well rounded team, if unfortunately coached very poorly, which is frequently their downfall. But watch for Minnesota, they're going to be really interesting at the end of this year, and I expect a big burst from them, come 2016, if just barely miss out.

NFC South: I'm torn between Atlanta and New Orleans here, given schedule ease here, but I'll take age 36 Brees over new FAs, new coaching staffs in Atlanta, which can often be a big what-if. Not thinking Brees declines just yet. Carolina is in the close but not quite camp for me this year.

NFC West: Seahawks. Didn't like the deal for Graham, not as a slight on Jimmy Graham, but just how much Max Unger meant for a team that is so run heavy over the middle. It won't show on box scores, but that will be their undoing, not to mention that awful deal they signed Lynch to. Expect the 49ers to have a top 5 pick next draft, Rams offense is too offensively woeful, and the same questions remain on Arizona as last year: Offense. Expecting a 36 year old Palmer to be healthy and effective isn't realistic, and don't see it happened. Best he's ever been by DVOA was 12th in 2007. Don't expect close to that, so yeah, not good.

NFC Wild Cards: Atlanta will hang around with New Orleans all year, but a rough start will put them in second, and good for the 5 seed. Also from the NFC South, no more cap mess for the Panthers, no suspensions from that D? Like them kind of under the radar good. They won't have the schedule strength afforded to the Falcons and Panthers, so that puts them as my 6.

Tough Super Bowl pick, but I think New England over Green Bay. I thought about this for probably 20 minutes, but yeah, this is actually a tough year to pick, much more so than most.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
Aldon Smith has been released by the 49ers due to his recent arrest.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »
The NFL Hall of Fame enshrinnents are tonight. This year we will be inducting players Jerome Bettis, Will Shields, Charles Haley, the long overdue Tim Brown, and the late Junior Seau. Also being induced are executives Ron Wolf and Bill Polian. Congratulations to the class of 2015.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
Also senior nominee, longtime Vikings center Mick Tinglehoff
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »
So the first points of the year come on a 36 yard field goal by Shaun Suisham at 5:59 p.m. AZ time.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
NFL power rankings are out, and Atlanta sits at no. 24. Their two top draft picks (both RBs) are on injured reserve, but it's preseason (first game this Friday against Tennessee), so we'll see how things play out without them.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
Freeman and Coleman are only expected to miss a couple weeks. Not on injured reserve. Should be back around the start of the season.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
OMG some really ugly stuff involving Cam Newton and the Panthers http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13408997/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-gets-scuffle-shoves-josh-Norman I picked the Panthers to win the NFC South this year but after this I'm not feeling very good about the pick as the lack of leadership and chemistry revealed by this is a bad sign.