Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 10/01/15 (NBCAM Kickoff Special)  (Read 17877 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPIR Recap - 10/01/15 (NBCAM Kickoff Special)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:03 AM »
I believe I remember that. With a concise and precise explanation of the rules before any "X" is placed, such confusion can be avoided, hopefully.
Confusion, or chicanery, depending on how you want to look at it.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 12:48:53 AM »
By the way, I've never liked the game and wouldn't mind at all if it was retired.

This part of the post is as dumb as the rest of the recap-reading crowd.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:05 AM »
Care to explain? Everyone has a right to their opinion, and calling a post dumb without saying why won't help any discussion.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 07:27:14 AM »

Yikes. A moderator bashing a whole group of the site at a time I don't really think was warranted. That's disappointing.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

I'm with CJ. As a mod, I think this is very poor behavior, and it also makes a very poor assumption about the people who read the recaps, and doesn't include the people who read the recap that just can't watch the show at home.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »

Wow. Talk about irony. Calling someone else's post dumb and then saying THAT. This is one of the most offensive posts I have read in my decade plus here at this site. Not only that, it comes from a "moderator." I think--at the very least--an apology and a retraction is in order. I don't post much, but I do read the show recaps daily, and I assure you, I am far from dumb.

Offline CheckGameMeBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Check Game: Woefully Misunderstood Since 1981
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »

Well, that's just insulting and an absolute disgrace of a post.  I can't watch the show live most days because I've got college classes to attend and the recaps are handy so I can read about what happened on one of my favorite shows.  To bring down a hammer on the recap reading crowd is repugnant behavior.
President, Return Rich Fields Campaign

Chairman, Buy or Sell Fan Club

HYO record: Coming or Going: 1-0.  Mystery Price: 0-1.  Squeeze Play: 1-0.  Flip Flop: 1-0.  Safe Crackers: 1-0, Buy or Sell: 1-0, 3 Strikes: 1-0, Card Game: 0-1, One Away: 1-0, Bonus Game: 1-0, Bump: 1-0, Switch?: 1-0, Double Prices, 1-0, Passcode: 0-1, Easy az 1,2,3: 1-0, Fabulous Showcases: 5-1. 

Total winnings: 1,548,521

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »

Yikes. I think I get the intent behind your response Prizes (unnecessary hyperbole, overreacting, etc.), but it really came out the wrong way. It hurts that you think of a majority of the site's users in that light if you indeed stand behind what you said, and it is offensive no matter the defense you choose to give.   

Between this and Torgo's "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" line (which actually offends me more than what you said Prizes), it's nice to know what the site staff really think of its users. 

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
I'm site staff, too.  And I think this thread needs a distraction.  Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty.

Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
Won't defend what I said, and will be issuing a more formal and elongated apology at around 4PM (busy until then). I worded this VERY poorly, and owe you all the sincerest of apologies. I can only hope you understand my request for forgiveness.

Finally made it in life!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
Between this and Torgo's "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" line (which actually offends me more than what you said Prizes), it's nice to know what the site staff really think of its users. 

I assure you, these two are not representative of the site staff as a whole.

Let's try to get back to talking about that awesome Pay the Rent win, please. :)
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »
I assure you, these two are not representative of the site staff as a whole.

Let's try to get back to talking about that awesome Pay the Rent win, please. :)

I was going to talk about the mystifying Secret X win, but Pay the Rent was fun too ;)

(Seriously, Secret X was so mystifying that it was awesome in a bizarre way)

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
What if the contestant gets all 3 "X"s and places them all in one of the yellow columns and says "Hey! I win. I have Tic-Tac-Toe!"?
Somebody tried that once with Bob; at first, Bob said that there would be a new rule where you could win that way, before a producer reminded him that, in his explanation, he always says that the win has to be across or diagonally.

And while I don't remember anyone ever winning across the center row before this episode, I do remember someone almost doing it - but while that contestant put his first X in the center row, he put his second X in the bottom row.  (The Secret X was in the center.)

As for Pay the Rent, it seemed to me that the two wins on "tribute" episodes (armed forces; breast cancer victims) had easy (as in "you can win with the cheapest item on the bottom") setups.  I can't remember if the Big Money Week win was the same way.  I think there was a contestant on a "regular" episode who put the cheapest item on the bottom and who would have won had she not bailed out at $10,000.

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Care to explain? Everyone has a right to their opinion, and calling a post dumb without saying why won't help any discussion.

Not that it makes my overall post any better, but it deserves more than a reason than just not liking the game.

Yikes. A moderator bashing a whole group of the site at a time I don't really think was warranted. That's disappointing.

This is fully my mistake, but I meant to disparage comments of the nature that indicate the show hasn't been watched by the user, rather than attacking the user. One item I won't back down on is this: If you haven't watched the show, great, but you probably shouldn't be commenting on the day as a whole. Our recappers over the years are great, but they can only capture so much of the complexities of what players, Drew, George, etc. bring on a daily basis.

Again my mistake for saying so tactlessly, and does not excuse my post, but I did not mean all who read recaps (I read them every day!), I meant the posts that fail to expand on a point. Not that I was any better in this instance, mind you, but it was the point of reference.

I'm with CJ. As a mod, I think this is very poor behavior, and it also makes a very poor assumption about the people who read the recaps, and doesn't include the people who read the recap that just can't watch the show at home.

See above. Again, poor wording leads you to believe this conclusion, if not at all what I believe. I fully understand if you can't watch the show at home, for obligation reasons, that's fine, it's life, or whatnot, it happens.

Wow. Talk about irony. Calling someone else's post dumb and then saying THAT. This is one of the most offensive posts I have read in my decade plus here at this site. Not only that, it comes from a "moderator." I think--at the very least--an apology and a retraction is in order. I don't post much, but I do read the show recaps daily, and I assure you, I am far from dumb.

Carlos, I like you quite a ton from your knowledge to vast clip collection, and my apologies on the wording. I wouldn't call it ironic, but your overall point is taken. Certainly the apology is coming (after I respond to everyone). I do not think individuals who post in recaps are dumb. I do think a good portion of the posts in here, including the first I made in this thread, could use a bit more fleshing out/explanation, which is fair, unlike said post.

Well, that's just insulting and an absolute disgrace of a post.  I can't watch the show live most days because I've got college classes to attend and the recaps are handy so I can read about what happened on one of my favorite shows.  To bring down a hammer on the recap reading crowd is repugnant behavior.

I am sorry you took it personally, as this was not my intent, but given the majority interpretation, this is only my doing, and for that I am sorry. As always, circumstances make it impossible to watch every day, be it college, work, or just anything. As said before, I read recaps daily. Not that it makes it better, but the thought was poorly constructed, and wound up insulting others. Nobody to blame here but the reflection in the mirror.

Yikes. I think I get the intent behind your response Prizes (unnecessary hyperbole, overreacting, etc.), but it really came out the wrong way. It hurts that you think of a majority of the site's users in that light if you indeed stand behind what you said, and it is offensive no matter the defense you choose to give.   

Yeah, you get the gist of it, and as you say, really frigging awful word on my end. I mean, JB, you know this, we started out rough as a user relationship, but you have moved up considerably in my eyes for it. I do not defend what that message's faux pas conveys, so there is no double down on my end.

To all: To those offended by my message, lurker, new user or old guard, my apologies. It was not my intention to create such an awkward and embarrassing situation for any party involved. If there was any good that came out of this unfortunate experience, it is that I have grown and learned alternative approaches to these situations. As a moderator, I can and should know better, and will do so for the future. For now, please accept my deepest apologies for my mistake in regard to this statement. I wish you well in your day. My mantra has always been attack the post or idea, never the person. For that, I failed not only you as a userbase, but me with respect to my own morales. I look forward to hearing from you in a positive way about our favorite game show, and putting this matter behind us, with lots of laughs.

Sincerely,

Jessica

Finally made it in life!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Here's what could have happened after I made this statement. Please note: the statement was just an aside after a discussion of the gameplay on the October 1 episode. I do not ask for an apology, but I would never call someone else's post/opinion "dumb".
By the way, I've never liked the game and wouldn't mind at all if it was retired.

"Why may I ask? <---question posed by someone

Well, I don't want to go too far off the subject of today's show, the main reason is that Secret is a small prize game in which even if all of the pricing is done correctly, the main prize can still be lost (and nothing else can be won). I also don't like 1/2 Off for the same reason, (though 1/2 Off now at least gives the contestant a bonus if all the pricing is done correctly), and I'm not a big fan of Plinko either.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:08:03 PM by GameShowKid »