Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 10/01/15 (NBCAM Kickoff Special)  (Read 17949 times)

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPIR Recap - 10/01/15 (NBCAM Kickoff Special)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
A strange but good show today. Really, everything else is outweighed by Pay the Rent being won, and I'm okay with that. Even if every other game was lost and there was a DOB to cap it, that win would have made it a fun episode. Seeing PtR pay out is a lot of fun and well worth watching the show. The game does manage a certain tension when it goes well and today that's exactly what happened.

The fact that Secret X was won under neat conditions is icing, as is the rest of the show. I agree with Schfifty that these first two weeks have been some of the best ever. A lot of that's from how well done Decades week was, but this week has had strong episodes as well. It's been a fun ride and I hope it keeps on going.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
Unfortunately, some of the excitement from the Pay the Rent win was lost since the show spoiled the entire victory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmySKShh7GM) before the show aired. This is why A.M. and P.M. matter!

Note: if it's far in the future, and this link expired, feel free to let me know so I can remove it.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
After watching that Pay The Rent segment again, MAN do I miss Rich DiPirro. (Although that happens a lot, really.) Rich would've knocked that win out of the park with his quick cuts and zippy camera work. Don't get me wrong, it was exciting, but the directing was just sort of "blah". Adam's done some neat stuff as director, but overall I'm ready for the revolving door to turn again.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »
Man after these two weeks - Are we going to be on budget mode for the rest of the season?   
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Middle row placement of the X, aside, I was more amazed that some people in the audience seemed to be indicating that the second X be placed on the top row.... :roll:
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »
The contestant won the big prize in Secret "X" today, but I would have had a bone to pick with Drew if she hadn't won. Drew didn't explain the object of the game before telling her to put the free "X" on any yellow spot she wanted. Bob had such a clear way of explaining the game: You win if you get three "X"s across here, across here, across here, or diagonally there, or diagonally there. I think the contestant might have placed her free "X" in a different place if Drew had explicitly stated the how the game could be won.

I really couldn't get that excited over today's Pay The Rent win. I suppose I'm still a bit "old school", and I know $100,000 doesn't go as far as it used to, but today's setup was too easy for my taste.

Top row, middle square in Money Game. "44" :).  The tradition continues.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »
Does Drew really need to explain Tic-Tac-Toe to someone to such a degree?

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »
Is this the 1st time Secret "X" was won that way ( 3 X's in those 3 Squares ) or has it been done before?

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 11:05:08 PM »
Pay the Rent: And for only the third time, we have a $100,000 winner in this game! Also, this must be the first winning combination that actually had the cheapest item in the mailbox.

The third $100,000 Pay The Rent winner? Who were the first two? I don't think I saw the other two $100k winners in Pay The Rent. Today's the first $100,000 Pay The Rent winner in my book. Am I missing something? If I am, I need to catch up. lol

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 11:14:24 PM »
The third $100,000 Pay The Rent winner? Who were the first two? I don't think I saw the other two $100k winners in Pay The Rent. Today's the first $100,000 Pay The Rent winner in my book. Am I missing something? If I am, I need to catch up. lol

Season 41: 4/24/13 ( Big Money Week )
Season 42: 7/4/14 ( 4th of July Salute to the Military Show )

As you see , it has been won 3 times.
If anything , we haven't had a winner of this game in a Regular Show.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:16:56 PM by TinoStar11 »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
Does Drew really need to explain Tic-Tac-Toe to someone to such a degree?
That's something else I don't like about Drew's explanation. Secret "X" is not Tic-Tac-Toe. In Secret "X", the player must use the hidden "X" to get three "X"s in a row or diagonal; that's why saying "across here, across here, across here, or diagonally there, or diagonally there" is such a precise and concise summary.

The contestant will not win if he or she places all of the "X"s in the left-hand or right-hand columns (as is possible in Tic-Tac-Toe). So I think Drew should drop the Tic-Tac-Toe line and more accurately explain the game. 

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 11:59:58 PM »
That's something else I don't like about Drew's explanation. Secret "X" is not Tic-Tac-Toe. In Secret "X", the player must use the hidden "X" to get three "X"s in a row or diagonal; that's why saying "across here, across here, across here, or diagonally there, or diagonally there" is such a precise and concise summary.

The contestant will not win if he or she places all of the "X"s in the left-hand or right-hand columns (as is possible in Tic-Tac-Toe). So I think Drew should drop the Tic-Tac-Toe line and more accurately explain the game. 

I think the reason Drew does the whole "Tic-tac-toe" spiel is because the gameplay is similar to tic-tac-toe. In both games, you make three Xs in a row to win. It's pretty natural for Drew to explain that "[pricing game] is like [non-pricing game]"...he's just briefly telling the contestant that the game is like another game. I don't really mind his spiel in this game, nor do I think it really affects the gameplay. As long as he mentions the hidden "X" in the center column, his rules explanation is fine.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:02:01 AM by Schfifty »
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 12:16:49 AM »
I think the reason Drew does the whole "Tic-tac-toe" spiel is because the gameplay is similar to tic-tac-toe. In both games, you make three Xs in a row to win. It's pretty natural for Drew to explain that "[pricing game] is like [non-pricing game]"...he's just briefly telling the contestant that the game is like another game. I don't really mind his spiel in this game, nor do I think it really affects the gameplay. As long as he mentions the hidden "X" in the center column, his rules explanation is fine.

What if the contestant gets all 3 "X"s and places them all in one of the yellow columns and says "Hey! I win. I have Tic-Tac-Toe!"? Shouldn't Drew at least say before any "X" is placed that the hidden "X" must be used in order to win the big prize?

By the way, I've never liked the game and wouldn't mind at all if it was retired.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:19:24 AM by GameShowKid »

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 12:22:31 AM »
What if the contestant gets all 3 "X"s and places them all in one of the yellow columns and says "Hey! I win. I have Tic-Tac-Toe!"?
Apparently one contestant came dangerously close to trying that stunt with Bob, before he picked up on their stunt and reiterated about the Secret X.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:32 AM »
Apparently one contestant came dangerously close to trying that stunt with Bob, before he picked up on their stunt and reiterated about the Secret X.
I believe I remember that. With a concise and precise explanation of the rules before any "X" is placed, such confusion can be avoided, hopefully.