Author Topic: The New $100,000 Pyramid  (Read 20254 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: The New $100,000 Pyramid
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »
Does it detract from the show as a whole, though? Absolutely not. They absolutely, 100%, did the show right. Best game show revival of the 21st century? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Hey, I liked the PAX Beat the Clock remake.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »
Hey, I liked the PAX Beat the Clock remake.
I found it alright but not particularly great, partly because they had attempted to use the title as a "start the stunt" catchphrase (even on the stunts that had no timer) but also because the Swirling Whirlwind was out of place (even moreso than Bonus Shuffle on the 1979 series) and a rather strange callback to The Diamond Head Game of all shows.

Best game show revival of the 21st century? Abso-freaking-lutely.
Given that its competition includes such things as the 2001 Card Sharks, Donnymid, the 2006 Chain Reaction, Temptation, Million-Dollar Password, and the 2011 Lingo...no contest whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:51:14 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
"Why you use Skype" was a killer. For "Things you Declare", I would have said your independence and bankruptcy.

I wonder if they would have allowed "Because you want to video chat?"
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »
For "Things you Declare", I would have said your independence and bankruptcy.
I suspect "a thumb war" would not have been allowed, however.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »
I suspect "a thumb war" would not have been allowed, however.
Looks like a valid clue to me, and a good one.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
For me, the best part of seeing Pyramid back on prime-time is the youtube rabbit hole it is led me down.  Check out all the close finishes we had over the years, and I can't help but wonder...man, I hope they are ready to deal with that. 

I truly appreciate the faithfulness to theme and tradition so far.  Hope they consider it ongoing.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 11:03:29 PM »
On the July 10, 2016 episodes: Congratulations to Victor, our first $100,000 winner. He gave some great clues for "Things that are Congested" and "Things you Adjust". Exciting win.

Snoop Dogg, perhaps surprisingly, is a pretty good player and a Pyramid watcher "since the Dick Clark era".

I'm personally not a Ken Jeong fan; he's not funny at all to me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:12:02 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 12:55:07 AM »
What I'd like better is if, as was done in the Dick Clark days, the common thread behind the "Mystery 7" items would be revealed after the round was played. I constantly find myself puzzling over what the words have in common; frequently, it's not that obvious.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03:42 AM »
Now I'm just waiting for a female winner to get $100,000!  :biggrin:

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
What I'd like better is if, as was done in the Dick Clark days, the common thread behind the "Mystery 7" items would be revealed after the round was played.

They've actually been doing that on this current revival; I must not have noticed -- did they not do that this last episode?
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 05:29:22 AM »
In the second half of the second game last night, the team that found the Mystery 7 did not get all 7 words. I did not hear Michael say what they had in common.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
They've actually been doing that on this current revival; I must not have noticed -- did they not do that this last episode?
In the second half of the second game last night, the team that found the Mystery 7 did not get all 7 words. I did not hear Michael say what they had in common.

I do not remember hearing it so far on any of the shows, not to say it wasn't just that if it was I didn't catch it.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:55 PM »

Dick would sometimes forget to say that when the Mystery 7 was its own category.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 10:36:02 PM »
On the July 17, 2016 episodes: Both featured a contestant playing for an additional $100,000. I found the first $100K pyramid quite a bit tougher than the second. Along with "pencil" and "mini" for "Types of Skirts", I would have said "pleated". My sister had a good clue as well: "a kilt".

The contestant could only think of one clue for "Things in a Glove Compartment", but he rattled off several for "Kinky Things".  Hmmm... ;) 

I thought Alexandra was out of it after her "Mom/Mother" issue (which shouldn't have been an issue in the first place), but she ended up winning the round. You just never know with Pyramid.

I found myself yelling at the TV during her $100K try: "Because I'm dirty and I don't want to shower!" ("Why you Take a Bath"). And "Things You Carve"? Too easy for the top I'd say. "A Thanksgiving turkey; a marble statue". But again you never know.

One more thing: I didn't hear Michael reveal what the things in either Mystery 7 category tonight had in common.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:46:06 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 11:51:25 PM »
Still looking for a female contestant to win $100,000. Lol.