Author Topic: 7945K - 05/19/17 Recap Thread (Dream Car Week - Day 5)  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
7945K - 05/19/17 Recap Thread (Dream Car Week - Day 5)
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
PUNCH A BUNCH* - W (6:00.81)
DOUBLE PRICES - W (2:40.62)
CLOCK GAME - L (4:22.88)
THAT'S TOO MUCH! - L (3:49.78)
MOST EXPENSIVE - W (3:00.98)
STACK THE DECK - L (4:45.99)

You read that correctly. Punch-a-Bunch for a car.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: 7945K - 05/19/17 Recap Thread (Dream Car Week - Day 5)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
If anyone cares, that 200K dream car in TTM boosted the cars offered over the 1M mark. Because I didn't do yesterday's counting on the showcase, I still need to wait to find an "exact" value.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
Punch-A-Bunch for a car was awesome, though it felt like they set it up as nicely as possible. I had a hunch she'd get something good from hitting two corner holes based on how the prizes were set up, just felt like they were angling for a typical contestant to have a shot at the car.

Clock Game was a real shame. Terrible luck there, it felt like the contestant knew what she was doing and just misheard Drew in the excitement of the moment. She was going fast and in the right price range, then it all went wrong. Too bad.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
I'm really curious what was in the other two corners for Punch-a-Bunch. Would be interesting to know if $25,000 was in one.

Laughed when the entire audience groaned when she picked the first spot Stack the Deck.  :oldlol:
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
So Punch can only get won on specials, apparently. :P
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
Good show to end the Week.
Punch-A-Bunch had its biggest winner in its game's history.
Wonder if she would gave up $10,000 to go for it?
That's Too Much offered the Most Expensive Car ever in it's History and the 2nd Most Expensive Car ever offered ( Daytime )

So Punch can only get won on specials, apparently. :P

Last time the Top Prize was won on Punch-A-Bunch ( Daytime )  , it was a Regular Show, lol.

Offline pricegator

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
That's Too Much and Stack the Deck on the same show...how cruel of them

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
That's Too Much and Stack the Deck on the same show...how cruel of them

In their defense, they already had 2 dream cars won for their first two days, and gave short of 400K of cars already.

(I still don't have totals, but those will come soon)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Punch a Bunch was won during the primetime episodes last season Tino, that's what Wayoshi was referencing.

Pretty interesting twist to play Punch a Bunch for a car. I thought they were going to do one car slip instead of the one $25,000 and either keep the rest the same or do two $25,000 slips and adjust the other slips but since the emphasis was on the car it makes sense they did two car slips to replace two of the $100 slips. Would $25,000 have still been considered a win, or only partial since it wasn't the highest prize for this playing?

Just an unfortunate Clock Game playing. It's not that it was played poorly, it was bad luck more than anything. I would've thought they would've made a car the bonus prize, or maybe offered one for getting both prizes in a certain amount of time.

Not sure of what to make of how That's Too Much was set-up. They had a huge difference between the correct choice and the one before it, but I wonder how many contestants would've been willing to go up that high. Stack the Deck in the same half as That's Too Much was a surprise, I thought we'd be getting another 1-prize game for the Mustang.

This Dream Car Week worked better than past ones. The alterations to some of the games were gimmicky but an interesting changeup. I wonder if next season would they do Plinko for a car the same way they did it on the Plinko anniversary special. They could do 1/2 Off for a car also, either just play it for a car instead of cash or they could have it so one box has the $10,000 and another has a car, possibly making it so the contestant has to get all three SP pairs correct so they play for the car or the cash with the final two boxes.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
Punch a Bunch was won during the primetime episodes last season Tino, that's what Wayoshi was referencing.

I Know , that's why I added Daytime to the Comment.
It was for other people that might get confused by the comment.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
I'm really curious what was in the other two corners for Punch-a-Bunch. Would be interesting to know if $25,000 was in one.

I'm guessing the corners were $5000x2 and carx2. Spread the big money in less likely places, since it looks like they wanted to give away the car more than anything else. Do that and you have good odds of a win or a at least $5000 being drawn while the bigger cash prizes aren't as likely.

Just my guess, could easily be wrong.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
I feel like I enjoyed this year's Dream Car Week more than previous ones because I had no clue what was coming.
Monday- All car day. Best episode I have seen in a while.
Tuesday-Balance Game for a car? Pathfinder? $10K win on the wheel? Pretty good.
Wednesday- Didn't expect Pocket, but ok. We still had 2 cars won that day
Thursday-Pass the Mighty Buck!
Friday-Punch for a car? Heck yeah! Enough for me to forget that TTM and Stack were played in the same half!

Friday Car Totals:
Won:$58645
Offered:$318239

Total this Week:
Won: $441,139
Offered:$1,162,804 +$1,055,250 of cars on the wheel = $2,218,054

Surprised they didn't advertise over $2 Million of cars this week.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:13:54 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Surprised they didn't advertise over $2 Million of cars this week.

Including the extremely theoretical 30 cars available in the Showcase Showdown would have been a really deceptive way to boost the numbers. The promo may have not understood the difference between "offer" and "give away," but it would have been especially lame if they had tried to advertise over two million dollars' worth of cars.

Not sure of what to make of how That's Too Much was set-up. They had a huge difference between the correct choice and the one before it, but I wonder how many contestants would've been willing to go up that high.

As was the case the last time they played That's Too Much for a dream car, when taken as a percentage of the car's price, the jumps were actually smaller than what you'd get if you played the game for an ordinary car (3% jumps rather than the average 5% jumps). Of course, when the car's price is six figures, no normal person has a clue what the actual retail price would be anyway, so it becomes no more of a pricing exercise than Range Game.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
As was the case the last time they played That's Too Much for a dream car, when taken as a percentage of the car's price, the jumps were actually smaller than what you'd get if you played the game for an ordinary car (3% jumps rather than the average 5% jumps). Of course, when the car's price is six figures, no normal person has a clue what the actual retail price would be anyway, so it becomes no more of a pricing exercise than Range Game.

Thanks for the insight, Scott. And I see I'm not the only one who realizes that winning Range Game is much more a matter of luck than actual pricing as it stands today. I joked about the name of the game earlier this week.   

No 10 Chances this week for a dream car. Slight :boo:. Maybe next year (or earlier). :)

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 10:54:43 PM »
No 10 Chances this week for a dream car. Slight :boo:. Maybe next year (or earlier). :)
... Why did I pick 10C on my non-existant FPG submission?

Including the extremely theoretical 30 cars available in the Showcase Showdown would have been a really deceptive way to boost the numbers. The promo may have not understood the difference between "offer" and "give away," but it would have been especially lame if they had tried to advertise over two million dollars' worth of cars.

In total $3,957,982.15 was up for grabs:

$2,342,982.15  Regular Cash/Prizes
   150,000.00  $5,000 Perfect Bid Bonus (x30)
 1,380,000.00  $46,000 Big Wheel Bonus (x30)
    85,000.00  Pricing Game Bonus Cash
-------------
$3,957,982.15

Total Amount Won This Week: $707,655
A promo for Big Money Week said over 4 million was up for grabs, and IIRC, Drew said it a couple of times. That is why I thought that they would have done "We are giving away over $2M of cars" rather than "We are offering over $1M of cars".