Author Topic: Why does the FAQ still use the term, Barker's Beauties?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Why does the FAQ still use the term, Barker's Beauties?
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
This one has been bugging me for awhile, and I didn't want to respond and be snarky and mean about it, so I waited before i drafter this post....

Why is this term still being used in the FAQ section?

1. Barker hasn't been host for 10 years now.
2. Drew uses the term "Price is right models"
3. When the term was used, it was strictly for the female models, we've now had two male models
4. (and most importantly)- it's a rather sexist and objectifying term for women. Since the show got away from the term, I see the models more individually than as a collective group.

I for one, think we need to stop using this phrase...what do you think?

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
Re: Why does the FAQ still use the term, Barker's Beauties?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »
I agree. And I'll add that continuing to use the term otherwise makes it painfully obvious that certain individuals here can't fully let go of the past.

If you're referring to the Barker era, the term "Barker's Beauties" should apply. Otherwise, the term "models" should be used.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
I have no problem with "Barker's Beauties" for references up until 2007 during Barker's tenure as host. After that point, just the generic term "models" should be used.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
If the one person who has literally poured hours upon hours of his time into maintaining the FAQ for all these many years wants to use a particular terminology for the sake of tradition, then that's his prerogative.

Given that the show itself has no direct affiliation with this site, political correctness isn't something that always has to be strictly followed here, and it's quite probable Marc and John feel the same way.  If you disagree, that's totally fine, and you are more than welcome to use whichever terminology you prefer.  However, the FAQ is Steve's baby, and it's his to maintain in whichever way he sees fit.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
Why is this term still being used in the FAQ section?

Because that's their name.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
Because that's their name.
Not since 2007.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
Not since 2007.

Drew not saying it does not make it not be the name.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »
Drew not saying it does not make it not be the name.
Bob not being there does not make it be the name.

I expect you won't accept that, and that's your prerogative.  But just because you say so, doesn't mean it is so.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Before this gets too crazy I'll just ask a few questions because I honestly don't know the answers and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either so I'd like to see what someone who actually does know has to say about it. 

Was it ever an official name to begin with as opposed to something Bob came up with and just became the accepted term?

If the answer to the above is yes, then is the term "Barker's Beauties" is still considered an official name by the staff, production company, and/or the network?

Do we have 100% concrete evidence to support the answers to either of the previous questions?

Opinion time:  If it's not their official title, then I personally wouldn't use that term anymore if I were in charge of the FAQ.  If it is, then keep would keep it.  However, since I'm not in charge of that and Steve is, I would not take the least bit of issue in keeping it for the sake of tradition should it in fact not be an official term anymore.

The actual retail price is...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
Bob not being there does not make it be the name.

...okay, I'm not sure what you meant to say here, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't it.  That statement actually supports my position, not yours.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
...okay, I'm not sure what you meant to say here, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't it.  That statement actually supports my position, not yours.

I'm pretty sure you did know what I mean. 

Bob is not there anymore.  No one named Barker is hosting the show.  Conclusion:  There are no more "Barker's Beauties."

I have no problem referring to those models that worked in Bob's era that way, because they were known on the air that way, particularly in an FAQ about the history of the show.  But the models are not referred to by that name anymore.  They haven't been in 10 years.  There are models listed as Barker's Beauties in the FAQ who never worked with Bob.  They are not Barker's Beauties, no matter how you try to wordsmith around it. 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
There are models listed as Barker's Beauties in the FAQ who never worked with Bob.  They are not Barker's Beauties, no matter how you try to wordsmith around it.

Are you implying that they aren't members of the same group as those who did work with Bob?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
Are you implying that they aren't members of the same group as those who did work with Bob?
I'm stating it outright. 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
I'm stating it outright.

Well, I thought I was going to have a chance to out-wordsmith you here (Do not mock my wordsmithery.  I thrive on wordsmithery.)...but honestly, this response is just plain stupid.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 01:40:44 AM »
If the one person who has literally poured hours upon hours of his time into maintaining the FAQ for all these many years wants to use a particular terminology for the sake of tradition, then that's his prerogative.

Not if it's supposed to be a factual reference.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.