Author Topic: Wacky/Oddball prizes offered over the years  (Read 13789 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Wacky/Oddball prizes offered over the years
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:44:38 PM »
We've all seen our share of wacky/strange prizes over the years, or prizes that are just too esoteric for their own good. What are some you remember? I think that coffee kiosk offered 6 or 7 years back takes the cake for me, at least in the esoteric department. In terms of strange, seeing that $26K Kohler bathroom offered last season. I get bedrooms/dining room/game rooms, but that might have been the first time I'd ever seen a bathroom offered. What other eccentric prizes do you remember?
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: Wacky/Oddball prizes offered over the years
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
I love and still miss the $14,995 Man Wall. Given my sports habits and sports writing, that would be great to have the ability to watch a mix of the Mets, Yankees, Patriots and NASCAR all at once.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
Back in the 80s, this three-wheeled one-seat car was the grand prize in Walk of Fame:
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,9104.msg130260.html#msg130260
And to think those would be common things by the year 2000, as they predicted back then, but what happened to that?

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
Years ago , when they use to offer that Outdoor Play set that was so big , it was filmed outdoors to show it.
Also , during a Wedding Shower Show in 2013 , when they offered a trip for 20 people ( plus the Couple that was playing ) to Aruba worth over $47K.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »
I was just watching an episode I think from July 2008 with a replica gas pump that was around $2,500 in Most Expensive. That is pretty oddball to me, but to each their own I guess.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
365 pairs of shoes and the $18k (or $22k) wine cellar.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
One that always struck me were patio heaters. That'd really come in handy in an apartment 😜

R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
I was just watching an episode I think from July 2008 with a replica gas pump that was around $2,500 in Most Expensive. That is pretty oddball to me, but to each their own I guess.

Ah yes, those Petroleum Artifacts gas pumps. Those don't seem as strange to me. They make good decorative pieces.

Also-anyone remember those RagtimeWest.com automated guitars and calliopes? The automated piano made sense, but the guitars were a bit much IMO.

One of the newer ones in the oddball department is these outdoor wood-fired pizza ovens
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:52:53 PM by silverice878 »

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
365 pairs of shoes and the $18k (or $22k) wine cellar.

Greco specials.....shudders

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
Years ago , when they use to offer that Outdoor Play set that was so big , it was filmed outdoors to show it.

Don't think I ever remember that one.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
To me the amphibious vehicles and hovercrafts they used to offer are pretty wacky/oddball. Some would make good use for them, but for most they wouldn't be that useable. There used to be personal airplanes offered also. There was also a giant bubblegum machine they offered in a Showcase a few seasons ago that didn't include the gumballs.

One of the newer ones in the oddball department is these outdoor wood-fired pizza ovens
To me they're not oddball. Personal pizza makers like that are somewhat trendy.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
The $599 sitttingprettykitty.com cat climbing tree!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
I suppose we could also file the popcorn cart into this as well? :P

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
The $599 sitttingprettykitty.com cat climbing tree!
Awe, I always thought that was cute. I forget the name of the brand but sometime in the later Barker years they offered overly expensive weird looking furniture that was really oddball. I remember one piece they offered was a sofa that was made up of different circular shaped cushions and it was like $4,000.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
I know I was in the minority, but I thought that big-ass coffee kiosk with supply of coffee makers and coffee was cool. :P