Author Topic: What do you hate most when it happens?  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What do you hate most when it happens?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Hasn't that been the norm for the last few years?
It has, sadly.  I'm all for contestants being genuinely excited.  At the same time, there really is no reason to go over the stop and embarrass yourself on TV. 

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
It has, sadly.  I'm all for contestants being genuinely excited.  At the same time, there really is no reason to go over the stop and embarrass yourself on TV.

One thing about the show years ago -- if a contestant was excited, it was genuine and made for great tv. If they were shocked, or surprised upon winning, it looked and felt genuine and not forced. Seems totally different these days. It's just cringeworthy.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
Under what requirement are contestants asked to scream off the top of their lungs? If the contestants want to scream, let them
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
Under what requirement are contestants asked to scream off the top of their lungs? If the contestants want to scream, let them

Good point. It seems that there may be some encouraging by the producers to get contestants to act this way. Something's sure changed. Also, of course, the reshooting of reactions, which never took place until a few years ago.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
I hate it when contestants act like complete fools. There's definitely a difference between being genuinely excited and being plain obnoxious.

Sometimes I feel when a contestant in the row shouts "One dollar, Drew!" they're not bidding $1 for strategy, but to try and get a reaction from Drew.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:28:44 PM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
I hate it when contestants act like complete fools. There's definitely a difference between being genuinely excited and being plain obnoxious.

Sometimes I feel when a contestant in the row shouts "One dollar, Drew!" they're not bidding $1 for strategy, but to try and get a reaction from Drew.

I think someone who was even more eager for something like that (and/or was just trying to be funny) was this guy from the April 18 episode who made these unusual bids:

(IUFB #4)
(IUFB #5) (he gets one-upped this time, and Drew talks in a "demonic" voice when announcing the price)
(IUFB #6) (he actually wins this one)

Offline heenancurtis

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:56 AM »
I hate when contestants playing five price tags always say false when most answers are true

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:24 PM »
I hate when the audience and contestant get excited when the first letter revealed in Spelling Bee is a "C" or an "A".  Those are the two worst and most frequent cards on the board.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 12:41:14 AM »
I hate when contestants playing five price tags always say false when most answers are true

It's the producers using reverse psychology on contestants.  Generally from what I've seen in recent playings of Five Price Tags, there are three "trues" and one "false", though this is obviously not a written in stone trick like the Ten Chances "zero rule."

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
It's the producers using reverse psychology on contestants.  Generally from what I've seen in recent playings of Five Price Tags, there are three "trues" and one "false", though this is obviously not a written in stone trick like the Ten Chances "zero rule."

I wonder if they've ever had all four products be true.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:20 PM »
Sickeningly, yes. And why I have almost zero interest in the current show.
Same here.  If the current show were being produced and directed properly, there would be no need for over-the-top contestant shenanigans.  They'd just let the editing convey the enthusiasm.  Like THIShttps://youtu.be/A1w5WgPitdw?t=1591

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
Isn't Jeopardy the only game show now where you don't see contestants being over-the-top and overly excited? It's not like Price is the only show with that type of contestant behavior.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
Pretty much. I even remember Wheel of Fortune having contestants who were not as hyper, but memorable in another way. Some had a funny story, others were great puzzle solvers.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing contestants showing excitement on game shows, but it seems like something changed around the time Deal or no Deal premiered. Every contestant seemed extremely hyper. Other shows, even Millionaire now, seem to go with the really bubbly contestants instead of ones we saw early in the Regis Philbin days.

Just my two cents.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
Other shows, even Millionaire now, seem to go with the really bubbly contestants instead of ones we saw early in the Regis Philbin days.
I think it's worth pointing out that, in the Regis Philbin days, they didn't screen contestants the way most other shows do. If you could pass the phone game, you got on the show, simple as that. I think there were a few random episodes where they held tryouts to determine contestants (one the show had started its decline around 2001 or so), but those seemed to be the exception rather than the rule.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »
I wonder if they've ever had all four products be true.

I just saw an episode on YouTube from waaaaaaay back in 1975 in which all four products were true. The contestant ended up with only one choice and lost.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won