Author Topic: Updated "Three Strikes"  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: Updated "Three Strikes"
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 3 Strikes the last 70s game to get a makeover?

As for the set itself, I liked the nostalgia of the last set, but on the other hand, this one is decent as well. It's a nice shade of green. I'm glad that they kept the same font for the title, which a nice throwback touch.

Race Game
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 3 Strikes the last 70s game to get a makeover?

As for the set itself, I liked the nostalgia of the last set, but on the other hand, this one is decent as well. It's a nice shade of green. I'm glad that they kept the same font for the title, which a nice throwback touch.

Cliff Hangers.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
This upgrade is fantastic! Unlike Clock Game, this game retains elements of its original set and is not too gaudy or flashy. Of all the Mike-era set redesigns, this is probably my favorite.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
I consider Card Game to be the best redesign personally, followed by Bullseye and Most Expensive. 3 Strikes would be a close fourth though.

As for the issue of Drew not being able to see what number was pulled on the baseballs, perhaps they could add a monitor next to the contestant that shows the number after it's pulled?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »
As for the issue of Drew not being able to see what number was pulled on the baseballs, perhaps they could add a monitor next to the contestant that shows the number after it's pulled?

How are the producers going to be able to see the ball before Drew, who's standing right next to it, does?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
The only thing I'm not crazy about in the redesign is the massive amount of just a flat green. It could have really used some kind of accents or something to break up all that solid dark green.

It's the same thing they did with 10 Chances: the lattice board they took down at least gave the game some texture. Now it's just a large green and blue monstrosity that needs a little accenting somewhere.

I like the new 'Three Strikes' topper a lot and I don't at all mind the different typeface for the numbers. The spinning bag to sort the balls is a nice touch and the baseball bats holding it up is a really nice touch.

I'm a little disappointed they've gone back to having three strikes in the bag, though. Maybe reducing it down to one worked too well for their budget.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
I found the color a bit dark, but I suppose I'll get used to it. I do miss the old number style.
I miss it as well. Seeing the “3” in the old style above the displays gave me hope they would keep it, but apparently not. Too bad. :-(

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »
I'm a little disappointed they've gone back to having three strikes in the bag, though. Maybe reducing it down to one worked too well for their budget.
It went back to being three strikes in the bag in season 38.

How are the producers going to be able to see the ball before Drew, who's standing right next to it, does?
I should've added that it would require the control room to be able to see the ball as it's pulled, but unless they were to put a hidden camera in the bag that would allow for them to see which ball was pulled I guess it's not possible.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:35:44 PM by JayC »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »
I hope they make the strike balls red instead of white. It would be really nice to be able to immediately recognize whether a number or strike was pulled, even if you couldn't necessarily see which number immediately. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's why the white strike chips were short lived.

I kinda' miss the old kooky font for the numbers, but the game actually looks pretty darn nice. Just hope they decide to make the strike balls red :).

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »
Drew seemed to be having trouble seeing what was drawn several times.

I haven't seen the new version of the game, but is the number only printed on one side of the ball?  Can't they print it all around the ball, like they do with the ping-pong balls for lotto?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 02:06:00 AM »
Why not just hand Drew the ball so he can see it?  All he'd have to do is instruct them to hand him the ball once they pull it out of the bag er... ball hopper.

The actual retail price is...

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
I hope they make the strike balls red instead of white. It would be really nice to be able to immediately recognize whether a number or strike was pulled, even if you couldn't necessarily see which number immediately. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's why the white strike chips were short lived.

I kinda' miss the old kooky font for the numbers, but the game actually looks pretty darn nice. Just hope they decide to make the strike balls red :).
That would be a good solution. It would make it easy to tell a strike was pulled since no matter what some of the red will be visible.

Why not just hand Drew the ball so he can see it?  All he'd have to do is instruct them to hand him the ball once they pull it out of the bag er... ball hopper.
That would add on a few seconds for every time a ball is pulled and handed to him, and it's already a long game.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
The new design reminds me a lot of Fenway Park.

Thus, I don't like it. :lol:

In all fairness, while it looks nice, the dark green is a bit too dark, and the fact that its flat green makes it a bit dull. At least they didn't go overboard with digital graphics, though, but they should have probably changed the font of the logo to match the new numbers and the rest of the baseball motif. It kinda stands out now.

It's been that way since the start of season 38. If you ask me, of all the changes they've made to the rules of several of the games since Drew took over, it's the one they've actually done right. The game is far more exciting with all three strikes in the bag again.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »
Finally got around to watching this.

I like the baseballs versus chips change.   The Strikes need to be red balls.     
I like the new hopper.   Spinning that is better than the host having to bend over.

It seemed difficult for the contestant to pull the ball out of the hopper.   I'd like for them to try to make that less tight of a squeeze.

As for the "scoreboard"    I thought it looked like a cross between the big green monster of Fenway and the manual scoreboard at Wrigley.
Nothing of that really bothered me.

I do wish they would have made the ball discard hole where Drew didn't have to walk over to it.   Maybe just a chute closer to the bag versus the scoreboard where it has always been.    I just think the game would speed up a few seconds if the host didn't have to walk a few steps to discard the "X" or correct numbers.

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.