Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368799 times)

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
If they would bring back it's optional, how many chances would they give the contestant?

And *what* would those options be?  Technology definitely plays into this game; today’s options would be things like heated seats, back seat TV screens, satellite radio, 1-yr OnStar subscription, etc.  And of course the winning range would have to be increased to adjust for both technology and inflation, at least to $500, perhaps to $1000.  Fascinating to ponder... 🧐

JBK

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
And I'd bet dollars to donuts that someone's name was Les Moonves.

Wouldn't it have been on GSN's side, aka an oversight? That was how I was interpreted it.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
What’s really making me cry is to see all the “old schoolers” who are posting here in this thread.  For how long we have this gift I do not know, but I’m gonna cherish every moment.

I can’t agree with this more. I never thought it would happen, and that itself brings back countless memories of people I’ve missed tremendously and never thought we’d see again. Extremely welcome, and thanks for coming back everyone. It means a lot from all of us.  🥲

And yeah, this is pretty much incredible appointment viewing. Wow. It’s nobody’s doing on show, but I miss when we had time as these shows demonstrate. Sure, the games and prizes were as advertised, fabulous and a dream. But...people were people. We get to see more than the skin of the onion. We gets to see its many layers and what makes people tick and beyond. That is the true magic of Price to me, always has been, its people. It’s also why this site took off, yeah? The community and shared experiences overlapped into a common domain.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
iIf they would bring back it's optional, how many chances would they give the contestant?

They’re all packaged nowadays, for the most part.  So sadly, we’re stuck with Triple Play.

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »
This is awesome! I love this! I'd never thought we'd see these again, and man, this is nice! Being able to see the old style, prices, sets, and even some retired games (I cheered when I saw Penny Ante today!) is a fantastic feeling!

Yes, I hope in the future we can get some 70s episodes, but I am more than happy with what we have now! And, I'll still be watching the current episodes each night on CBS All Access!

And, shout outs to all these old-timer members coming back! :)
1,668 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »
I’m about a day late to the party here, but what a treat, man.  What an absolute treat this is!

My fiancé and I are watching right now.  She grew up on game shows like I did, so it’s really neat to experience this with her.  My favorite line from her: “he’s so young!” (talking about Bob) lol.  We grew up a good decade and some change after this round of episodes aired, but even still, I feel like I’ve hopped into a time machine of pure nostalgia.  I won’t be able to turn it off once they get to episodes that aired during my childhood...I can’t hardly turn it off now as it is!

I know, I know... a plethora of old episodes exist on YouTube.  But how many of those are master copies, remastered to look as good as they were originally broadcast on Zenith color television sets back in the day?  Very, very few.  Oh, I could nitpick about the frame rate being effectively cut in half — but unlike the vast majority of YT uploads I’ve watched, frame rate really isn’t bothering me here.  Hell, I’m watching this stream on a 50” 4K set with a HECK of a lot of upscaling going on, and it still looks crisp. 

A few thoughts occurred to me while reading through this thread... 

The folks at Fremantle and behind the scenes with the show really didn’t have a whole lot going on this summer production-wise.  What if one of their projects was converting as many of these episodes to digital as possible?  Maybe we’ll get more than just a handful dumped every now and then.

Also, at what point did CBS begin airing shows digitally as opposed to tape?  If it was some point in the later years of the Barker era, then those episodes would conceivably be ready to go now, provided they still exist on a hard drive or whatever digital storage means was used.  Maybe we’ll see some of the more recent episodes coming in the near future.

Finally, Viacom has a tremendous amount of content from virtually all genres of both television and film airing on Pluto TV.  Regarding music rights, they probably hold all the rights they’ll ever need by virtue of their expansive content library.

Thoughts are swelling in my head over this, but I’ll leave them be for now.  I just can’t get over how appreciative I am of CBS/Viacom/Fremantle for adding this channel to Pluto TV.  I’ve felt for a few years now we might see something like this, especially given the popularity of YouTube uploads.  To finally be here is all kinds of awesome.  I can’t wait to see what they air next!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:58:57 PM by Mr. Weatherman »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:06 PM »
Watching one of the episodes tonight, and I've noticed that Bob has called him "John" more than a few times.  I never realized Johnny Olson ever went by just, "John".

Is it any coincidence that I was watching Match Game on Roku Live recently, and Bob was one of the panelists on one episode, and Holly was a panelist on a different episode?  (Probably not a coincidence)

I'm going to echo FPGWillyT:  the video quality is absolutely incredible, considering it's not HD.  I've become so accustomed to the lousy low-res YouTube videos, I never appreciated how good the show could look in regular old "normal" quality.

And without letting this become an "old vs new", "Bob vs Drew" discussion, I'm truly amazed at how the show has managed to remain relatively unchanged after so many years. Yes, the sets are newer, the show is more "modern", there's a new host, and so on, but the bones are still very much the same.  The fact that, after close to 50 years, the basic structure of the show has remained unchanged is quite impressive.

And on an unrelated note:  I've been around here for more than a few years, and feel that I know pretty much all the regulars here, even though I don't talk much.  When in the world did we get a new moderator named "Mr. Weatherman"??
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
When in the world did we get a new moderator named "Mr. Weatherman"??
Presumably when he changed his handle from "PayingTheRent".

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »
Just realizing the September 16th show in the calendar has Danger Price slotted 2nd in the episode now reairing, but it should be the 1st one. Clock Game was 2nd on this episode.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
It's been way too long since the last post, since I have only seen a couple of the specials in the last couple of years.  I have weaned off daytime due to work, as in the last few years, I had to check the results to see if I would want to watch it.  At least 60% of the time, there was no need, as I took it off if the episode has a DOB, skunked episodes, or just rather blah episodes.

I finally have another use for Pluto TV, other than MST3K and Fail Army.  I will check this channel from time to time, as this is a good idea.  Kind of like a catch-up of sorts for me, especially between 1982 and 1993, when I had most days in school (except for holidays, school breaks, and the rare sick day).  I probably will wane a bit after the 1993 shows, as between taping while having classes in college and being able to watch as scheduled on off days.

Just looking at the episode I am looking now (the one where Bob announced his Emmy), it looks much calmer and civilized back in 1982.  More like the fine wine and filet mignon era, unlike now that it is the pizza and beer era. Just get called, run or walk to your spot, and stop...not scream and hop around like you had sugar and Red Bull together, and make a spectacle of yourself.  We can also see the transformation from casual and occasional sport jackets, to the make-your-own t-shirts in later years. It is also going to be fun seeing the more antiquated prizes that were won at the time compared to now, and a lot of the prize cues.  Nice to see the contestant not appearing on stage prize set is included.

The picture and sound does look good on both Roku and the app on my tablet.  And, I do hope they as many of the earlier episodes as they can (that can be shown).

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
They’re all packaged nowadays, for the most part.  So sadly, we’re stuck with Triple Play.

Or called "Convenience Package 2A" which means about as much as "a 13-inch laptop computer".

You wanted old-timers, here you go.

:garf:
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Presumably when he changed his handle from "PayingTheRent".
And on an unrelated note:  I've been around here for more than a few years, and feel that I know pretty much all the regulars here, even though I don't talk much.  When in the world did we get a new moderator named "Mr. Weatherman"??

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for you meddling kids!

Really and truly, I pretty much always hated my username.  I was 19, thought I was being ‘punny,’ despite strongly detesting the game Pay the Rent.  It was well past time for a change.

Weather is my main jam, so this username fits me better as I approach 27. :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »
Or called "Convenience Package 2A" which means about as much as "a 13-inch laptop computer".

You wanted old-timers, here you go.

:garf:

My point exactly my old FPG-playing friend.  It was one thing to account for P/FP when playing a game like $G or A#.  Was merely making a point of why “It’s Optional” is most likely not feasible.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2020, 10:04:23 PM »
I forgot...the post-Showcase celebration...back then, it was the contestant, Bob, and the Beauties, along with one or two that came with.  Now, it's a mob coming out.  :D

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2020, 10:05:10 PM »
I forgot...the post-Showcase celebration...back then, it was the contestant, Bob, and the Beauties, along with one or two that came with.  Now, it's a mob coming out.  :D

Well.......was.