Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368714 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:00 PM »
What might happen is that Pluto airs everything as normal, starting on Monday.  But on Friday, they start their rerun schedule at 6:00 EST.  In other words, they air the first six shows for the week on Friday, then the last 24 on Saturday.  Then re-air the first 24 shows for the week on Sunday, and then wrap everything up on Monday from midnight to 6 AM before starting a new week of shows

That's actually pretty smart. I could see that...although I am wondering here, did you mean 6PM or AM Friday? If AM...then you'd still only have 24 shows vs. 30. Otherwise that's pretty solid.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 06:10:55 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »
That's actually pretty smart. I could see that...although I am wondering here, did you mean 6PM or AM Friday? If AM...then you'd still only have 24 shows vs. 30. Otherwise that's pretty solid.

6 PM for Friday.  Then the reruns ending 6 AM on Monday.  I didn't mention that if Pluto went with 6 new episodes daily, they would only rerun them twice on Mondays & Fridays (3 runs total) and then three times on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursday (4 runs total)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
I finally got a chance to sit down with the channel for a few hours this afternoon. By happenstance, the "backgammon table" episode came up.

The only hole in my conspiracy theory here is...why would the rangefinder not moving necessitate a prize change? Unless the price got revealed for some reason, they could just replay for the original prize once they got the rangefinder moving again.

I wouldn't be surprised if, while they were pressing buttons and/or unplugging and plugging Range Game in to try to get it to work, the light behind the actual price accidentally turned on. And obviously, if they accidentally revealed the answer, they'd have to replace the prize. (Barker didn't yet have the power to declare "You automatically win!")

I agree that Bob's comments during Range Game imply that something malfunctioned the first time around. My computer froze near the end of the fourth game and I didn't get it restarted until the grocery descriptions in the fifth game, so I missed the backgammon table and Bob's comments there, but based on what you said, my money is on an accidental reveal necessitating a prize swap.

(Another bit of a hint: Later in the episode, while Bob was chatting with a contestant, he made an offhand comment along the lines of "Nothing's been going easy around here" and got a knowing laugh from Johnny.)

What was the price of the backgammon table? The living room was $2,200, so I wonder whether the table was a similar price so they wouldn't have to change the numbers on the scale itself (I didn't think to look at the board before the living room was revealed). It looked a little weird to have a living room in act one and a dining room in act three, but Bonus Game's dining room was more than $2,900.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »
^The backgammon table packaage on 4623D had an ARP of $2,947, so they would have had to change the range. I don't know if that's enough to hurt your theory though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:22:31 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2020, 12:23:42 AM »
After watching this episode over again (now three times with the weekend rerun) there's definitely something screwy with Range Game. Having the rangefinder be all screwy the last few playings helps the theory as well. The "accidentally revealed price" theory gets my vote on the most likely, although only someone who was there would know for sure.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2020, 07:01:31 AM »
So much for the 6am reset 😢

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
That sucks.

I guess time will tell if a new batch of episodes starts at 6 PM.  I wasn't able to check to see what aired during Sunday Night Football, and I don't know if I'll be able to tune into anything until around 4:00 today.  I'm not sure what's currently airing on Pluto, but I guess they started over and planned on airing the 24 episodes one more time.  It will be concerning if there's nothing new after today

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2020, 08:08:21 AM »
This comment thread I found on their official YouTube channel should help clarify the schedule a bit.  All answers are from the channel itself:

Q: I have a question I noticed you are repeating some episodes when are we going to get some more episodes thank you and keep up the great work

A: there are six new episodes premiering each day on the PlutoTV channel. There are repeats on the weekends. We had to think about the rollout plan since PlutoTV is more like a linear channel and not video on demand. The aim is to roll out the fresh episodes at consistent pace and not just dump them all at once so they get lost or missed.

Q: How much will you be repeating on weekends? Just some or all?

A: Just some. Think of it like a "best of" the week. There are 30 new episodes over the course of the five-day week. So we pick from those to program the weekend. So if you miss some on the weekdays, the weekends are a good time to catch up!

Q: Am I to assume it'd be the same cycle on weekends? Ie: 6 episodes repeated 4 times? Also...are there plans to air the Season 11 premiere week at any point? I saw someone suggest it could be saved for around New Year's. Is there any truth to that? If not and you don't plan to air it....why was it skipped over?

A: The programming is still 6 episode blocks run 4 times a day, similar to how they ran throughout the week. But the episodes are a mix of those blocks from the previous 5 weekdays. We will have to look into the Season 11 premiere episode and see if / where that is in the programming schedule.

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »
That sucks.

I guess time will tell if a new batch of episodes starts at 6 PM.  I wasn't able to check to see what aired during Sunday Night Football, and I don't know if I'll be able to tune into anything until around 4:00 today.  I'm not sure what's currently airing on Pluto, but I guess they started over and planned on airing the 24 episodes one more time.  It will be concerning if there's nothing new after today

I bet they are going Tuesday-Friday new like I speculated on before. Which would make the last tweet fairly obsolete as to their replies.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Actually no they just started the new batch of episodes beginning with 4625D at noon. So if they do the 6-hour schedule they should reach 4635D before resetting back to 4625D.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:16:56 PM by mellongraig »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »
Actually no they just started the new batch of episodes beginning with 4625D at noon. So if they do the 6-hour schedule they should reach 4635D before resetting back to 4625D.

Interesting they began it at noon.....wonder why.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
Interesting they began it at noon.....wonder why.

My guess is that they don't want to lose viewers of the current show to allow fresh new episodes to start at noon Eastern Time.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2020, 12:48:33 PM »
My guess is that they don't want to lose viewers of the current show to allow fresh new episodes to start at noon Eastern Time.

So would that mean they might do 3 batches only then from here? That'd be interesting if true.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »

That makes sense for the most part.  I don't know for sure what they're doing on the West Coast, but I'd imagine they would start at noon Eastern & Pacific.  Otherwise a 12 noon / 9 AM PST start might cause a conflict with the second of six new episodes (as in new batch of Season 11).

So would that mean they might do 3 batches only then from here? That'd be interesting if true.

It should still be 4.  Two runs today, then twice tomorrow from Midnight to Noon

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
It should still be 4.  Two runs today, then twice tomorrow from Midnight to Noon

Oh yeah, duh......I suppose I shoulda known that lol. Thanks for correcting me.  :-)