Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368789 times)

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1545 on: April 29, 2023, 11:36:29 PM »
I like it when you can see folks' hair blowing in the HVAC breeze.

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #1546 on: May 14, 2023, 01:40:42 PM »
Sharing this if you want an idea of what might be airing during the Barker Era bigger winners marathon, happening June 1st.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1547 on: May 15, 2023, 08:05:22 PM »
I don´t know where else to put this, but I found the theme music from the Street-corner Mime showcases that Holly would star in from circa 1982-1983. I always thought it sounded a little familiar, and it turns out it comes from the Odd Couple film and TV series. Here is the exact version used on TPiR...

And a peppier orchestral version:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:12:51 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1548 on: May 26, 2023, 01:58:07 AM »
Sharing this if you want an idea of what might be airing during the Barker Era bigger winners marathon, happening June 1st.

The schedule for it is now up.

From snowpeck over at Discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783063090852921344/1110996412243656795/image.png
"You realize... We are in the presence of a miracle!" - Bob Barker

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1549 on: May 26, 2023, 09:12:37 AM »
What do the yellow episodes mean? Are any of them new to Pluto?

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1550 on: June 06, 2023, 08:34:57 AM »
I didn't know where to post this, but this thread seemed like an ok place.

It was 16 years ago (June 6, 2007) that Bob Barker taped his final show. It aired nine days later on June 15, 2007.

Also, in six more days (June 12, 2023) Bob will be six months away from the big 100. Assuming he makes it, I wonder if the show will do anything special? I think I'd rather have CBS do something instead. The downside is that they won't be able to tape anything in Studio 33. They could chat with people like Roger Dobkowitz, Rich Fields (maybe?), Kathy "Fingers" Greco, almost any of the models (except Dian, Holly, Janice, and Kathleen), and just about anyone that worked in 33 while Bob was there. I'd love to hear from Doug Davidson too, as he is the only surviving host of the syndicated nighttime shows, not including Bob.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1551 on: June 06, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
Right now, my guess of how Bob will be honored will be not much more than a mention from Drew & maybe George.  Plus a mention or shoutout from Rachel, Adam & others that are still on the show when Barker was there.  I think they could feature a word from Roger, Kathy, Stan, and others, but I don't think they need to be present on the day the 12.12.23 show is taped.  Probably just a pre-taped birthday wish.

Even though Drew will say something, I'd like to see CBS do something too.  I think they will regardless of whether he makes it.  Might be something that evening given the fact that many of the shows will be on their winter break (though with the writer's strike, I'm not too sure of that if it were to end before that point).  With a CBS special, that's when you'd get all of the people paying tribute to Bob.  If I had to guess now, it's not going to be more than a word from Drew, and maybe even a showcase paying tribute to Barker
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1552 on: June 06, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
I'd be very shocked if the Barker Era streaming channel didn't do something for the occasion, ditto BUZZR for non-TPIR material they have with Bob in it (Match Game, Tattletales, etc.)

EDIT: something just occurred to me... was Bob ever a Mystery Guest on What's My Line? If he was, that'd be another thing they could pull out of the archives.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #1553 on: June 06, 2023, 02:48:07 PM »
Bob Barker is up there with Betty White in terms of notoriety, despite not being as active throughout his 90s as she was.  If you’re 20 or older, you probably know who Bob Barker is.  If you’re 30 or older, you almost certainly know who he is and probably have fond memories watching him.  For these reasons, I have no doubt there will be a fitting tribute of some sort to commemorate his 100th birthday.

Looking ahead, December 12th (Bob’s birthday) falls on a Tuesday this year.  As of now, CBS is planning to air all three FBI series on Tuesday nights.  If the writer’s strike is soon resolved and the network can fast-track enough episodes into production, then I would expect first-run FBI to air December 12th. 

However… if the strike continues for several more weeks, I imagine the fall TV schedule will be jeopardized considerably.  This may already be the case now, even if the strike were to end today — I’m not sure.  If so, there may not be any new FBI episodes to air on December 12th, thus opening the window for CBS to potentially dedicate as much as the entire night to a ‘Bob’s 100th Birthday Celebration’ — maybe with a two-hour PiR @ Nite similar to the 50th anniversary special full of clips, followed by some sort of one-hour CBS tribute special. 

The network has proven they like putting PiR in primetime for a variety of occasions, and this would give them an easy, low-budget two or three hours to fill at a time they may desperately need programming — should they decide such a tribute will bring in higher ratings than FBI reruns (or whatever else CBS might put in the Tuesday night slot).  There are a number of other ways CBS could handle a primetime tribute, but if they need programming (and they probably will), this is an easy way to find some.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1554 on: June 06, 2023, 05:39:54 PM »
Nothing is guaranteed with birthday celebrations. Betty White passed away within weeks of turning 100, so she’s a prime example of that.

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1555 on: June 15, 2023, 07:02:24 AM »
Looks like the channel is gone from the Pluto website at the moment. Same goes to the On-Demand episodes on there.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1556 on: June 15, 2023, 11:23:32 AM »
Looks like the channel is gone from the Pluto website at the moment. Same goes to the On-Demand episodes on there.

I’m seeing it on the website and app.

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1557 on: June 15, 2023, 07:49:09 PM »
I’m seeing it on the website and app.

It's back now. I think that was a glitch on my end.

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1558 on: June 19, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »
Apparently, the Pluto TV feed just had an interim reset point change. They reverted from May 1984 to late February 1983 this morning.

I believe this is the reason.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1559 on: June 20, 2023, 09:51:14 PM »
On show #5802D there's an error in Money Game where the front and the back of the car are reversed from where they should belong to. Even though Bob rectified it during the gameplay, I think the Standards and Practices thought it serious enough for compensation.

At the end of the show Cheryl was given a cash prize of $3,500 - which is about half of the price of the car she was playing for in Money Game ($6,995), along with what she won, per Johnny's voiceover during the closing credits.

Sorry to be nearly three months late on this, but I just watched the episode in question, and I'm fairly sure that this was unrelated to the car graphic mix-up. According to Johnny's VO, the contestant who was actually awarded the 5th IUFB + $3500 was Jeannie, who did not make it on stage. The specific verbiage used was "an inadvertent pricing discrepancy," which to me implies that the show had the wrong ARP for the 5th IUFB--and thus Jeannie would've won it (and played Money Game) had it been correct.