Author Topic: 2022 MLB season: Postseason Time  (Read 10139 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2022 MLB Postseason
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »
No point in doing a prediction for the entire postseason, even though there apparently isn't any reseeding.  Anyway, my picks:

San Diego, St. Louis, Toronto, and Cleveland all advance.  Everyone sweeps except St. Louis

Edited to update the Subject title again (which does update, but not the thread title itself)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2022 MLB season: Pujols hits 700 home runs
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 05:09:31 PM »
To hear sports talk in New York City, they're already virtually  packing for Los Angeles. Then again, a week before the season ended, Dick's Sporting Goods stores up there were about to put out T-shirts reading "The East Is Ours."
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Re: 2022 MLB Postseason
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 05:38:39 PM »
The Philadelphia Phillies pulled off a comeback against the St. Louis Cardinals to win the first game of the NL East Wild Card 6-3, and what a ninth inning it was too.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2022 MLB season: Pujols hits 700 home runs
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 02:11:11 AM »
Cleveland, Seattle and San Diego took their respective game 1s as well.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2022 MLB season: Postseason Time
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 05:41:56 PM »
A walkoff HR, courtesy of Gonzalez sends Cleveland to the ALDS at the Yankees.

39 Strikeouts and 14/5 innings without a score from either team.  Both are MLB postseason records

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 08:22:28 PM »
Toronto squanders an 8-1 lead and lets Seattle advance to the ALDS.

Online mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2022, 08:26:50 PM »
Man, I thought Toronto was going to win Game 2 especially when they had an 8-1 lead in the 5th... but injuries late in the game resulted in one of the biggest collapses in postseason history (blowing a 7 run lead), and to do it at home hurts even more with the fans cheering you on. Final score was 10-9 But I wish Seattle the best of luck in the ALDS.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2022, 08:47:59 PM »
It's heartbreaking to see a big lead like that slip away.  Now they've got the winter to figure out how to make the team stronger ahead of next year
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Online mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2022, 09:16:22 PM »
I do have to wonder if tonight was Buck Martinez's last game to call for the Jays as a broadcaster? Given his contract runs out in December, and him dealing with health and family, I don't know if he'll be back next season on Sportsnet.

Give credit to Sportsnet for producing their own feed and broadcast crew for the Wild Card series... that should happen all the time when the Jays make the playoffs, just like how the Raptors make the playoffs it gets broadcast on TSN and Sportsnet.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
Well, I picked one game to go the distance.  Just not the right one, but the one I'm happy for.  Sorta wanna see the Mets regain whatever made them good before their collapse (not something I'd say about 30-35 years ago).  Heck of a run from Pujols.  I would've been okay to see him exit outright with another title.  Which would've been pretty doubtful.  Not going to lose sleep over St. Louis.

Man, that Blue Jays/Mariners game was brutal (for the former).  While New York survives, the American League playoffs and its League Division Series are completely set.  Man, 8-1.  Even though Seattle had a game to give, totally brutal.  Hats off to the Mariners though!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2022, 02:26:33 AM »
I'm a Phillies fan who went to both games in St. Louis and all I can say is...GO PHILS!! Their two starters, Wheeler & Nola, combined for 0 runs, 6 hits, and 2 walks in 13 innings pitched against an incredibly potent Cardinals offense. Then there was the 6 run 9th inning in game 1 (fueled, quite honestly, by some luck and Cardinals miscues) and the bullpen hung on in game 2 despite the Cardinals having one man on in the 7th and two on in both the 8th and 9th. Phew.

And in a very classy move, after the game ended, Phillies owner John Middleton came out of the dugout to sign things for Phillies fans while the celebration was happening in the clubhouse. The results haven't always been there, but his desire to win and connect with the fans can't be overstated.

Phils vs Braves next. I'll be watching this one on TV but if Wheeler & Nola can pitch like that again, they'll only need to find one more win to win that series. Go Phillies!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2022, 09:03:32 AM »
Mustrove and Bassitt are the starters for tonight’s winner take all.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2022, 10:13:29 PM »
And the NLDS is now set with the Padres topping the Mets in a deciding third game behind 7 strong innings from Musgrove and decent run support in the form of a final 6-0 result.

Everything starts on Tuesday, October 11 (on FOX, FS1, and TBS)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2022, 02:57:26 AM »
Mets manager Buck Showalter held things up insisting the umpires check Musgrove for foreign substances. None were found. Listening to the WFAN stream should interesting.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2022, 08:10:08 AM »
Mets manager Buck Showalter held things up insisting the umpires check Musgrove for foreign substances. None were found. Listening to the WFAN stream should interesting.

There should be some kind of penalty if the pitcher turns out to be clean, like ejecting whoever requested the check. That only slows things down.