Author Topic: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?  (Read 15524 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2023, 02:40:50 PM »
Boring people used to get on the show all the time.  And Bob made them interesting.

Look. I'm 31 (32 in 16 days). I can't get myself worked up excited like these people can. Even Jeopardy would turn me down for being utterly boring on television. if they want excited contestants, then you know what, let them be excited. It's not affecting the show.

As for editing, the show is down to 38 minutes of show. Unless you want to start cutting the 6th game out of the show period, you'll have to edit parts out. It happens.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2023, 03:04:19 PM »
I've personally accepted I'm never gonna be on the show because of my utter lack of personality and lack of connections.

Whoa, are we the same person?

As for editing, the show is down to 38 minutes of show. Unless you want to start cutting the 6th game out of the show period, you'll have to edit parts out. It happens.

That’s by far my biggest issue with the show nowadays. The show feels rushed because it has to be rushed as a result of 22 minutes of commercials. I get the feeling that a lot of hardcore Price fans would have a higher opinion of Drew Carey if the show was 42 minutes without commercials. He would have more time to interact with the contestants.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 03:07:30 PM by ooboh »

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
at this rate, we might enter a time where there's more commercial time than actual show

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2023, 03:31:49 PM »
Why TPiR has not 6 commercial breaks like prime time edition and other daytime tv show?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
at this rate, we might enter a time where there's more commercial time than actual show

I think we’ve maxed out on commercials.  38 minutes has been the running time for a long time now — over a decade, I think?  Perhaps longer?  And that’s spread out over an hour.  Half hour shows literally have no wiggle room without it being painfully obvious.  We’ve simply run out of room for more ads — a good thing for those of us who don’t want shows to be cut any shorter, but also a big negative for television in general, as there’s no more space for ads paired with a decreasing audience to watch the existing ads.  Eventually the cracks in the old model will turn into catastrophic failures.  It’s only a matter of time.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
Why TPiR has not 6 commercial breaks like prime time edition and other daytime tv show?
The daytime show has more commercial time requirements than prime time.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2023, 11:59:13 PM »

For real.  Though, and IMO, we might be in a world where broadcast television is done away with (in favor of streaming) before more commercial time plays out
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2023, 11:39:04 PM »
Once the show got popular, that put a quick halt to just walking in off the street and getting called, no?

I didn't mean literally. If you wanted to go, and you planned ahead, you could be in the audience and become a potential contestant. Aside from the prizes, that's the big source of excitement. People on Wheel of Fortune already know they're going to play Wheel of Fortune.

Online Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2023, 12:30:55 AM »
People on Wheel of Fortune already know they're going to play Wheel of Fortune.
People on Price is Right don't know they're going to play Price is Right until they're playing it. Until the cue card with my name on it popped up, I had no guarantee I was being called down. They still interview you in line, they still pick people out of the studio audience without them knowing. You're not auditioning to be on the show, you're auditioning to be **in the audience**.

They also like to keep that nervous energy in you for as long as possible. Local contestants might not get an invitation to a taping until the week of, if not closer. The only reason I was given a three week notice to show up at the studio is because I quite literally had to book an entire vacation in that time and get there. The contestant coordinator seemed a bit taken aback when I flat out said I would pay my own way out just to see the show, no hesitation, whenever they wanted me there.

I'd much rather watch the show with 50 audience members who are excited about the show and whipped up into a frenzy actively participating over 300 or so audience members, half of which are only there to see a television taping and have no cares about the show. How many old people fell asleep during a taping in those Barker days? The Pluto channel shows at least three.  I've seen every single episode in rotation on the Barker era channel and the amount of times the audience is completely dead is entirely too many. Especially towards those "forgettable" end of the season budget mode episodes.

The show is exactly the same as it was. I challenge you to go back and watch the Barker era channel and see just how many things you point out as "flaws" in the current show appear back then. It's a lot more than you think, I guarantee it.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2023, 12:24:13 PM »
Case in point: look at today’s episode.

Crowd is fuller. Every pod’s got 3 or 4 people in it, with few exceptions. Everybody’s amped to be there. Look at the pan shot to George. See how many people are cheering and how much energy the crowd brings. Listen to what they’re shouting in the pricing games.

Look at the range of contestants that get called down. Check out the variety in ages and personalities at the Showcase Showdown.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2023, 06:01:48 AM »
I assume it's safe to say if Bob and Roger were still in charge, full studio audiences would have already returned?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2023, 07:55:37 AM »
Let's see... Bob is 99.  It's pretty unlikely he'd be there now no matter how many people are in the audience.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2023, 09:54:34 AM »
I assume it's safe to say if Bob and Roger were still in charge, full studio audiences would have already returned?

No, not at all.

The current showrunners are spending thousands of dollars per episode on COVID compliance every episode. They have to pay for 200+ COVID tests per tape date for every audience member & crew member. I am sure they would rather that money be used in the budget in other ways. It definitely isn’t being done out of convenience.

Roger (or anyone else) can’t magically wave a wand and tell TVC employees “we don’t WANT to pay thousands of dollars for COVID testing, so we won’t, hope you’re fine with that” or tell the unions that provide key crew members “yeah, your contracts says you’re entitled to X working conditions as part of COVID compliance, but we don’t want to do those.”

If the union that provides cameramen & grips & production workers says “we require everybody that potentially could come in contact with our members at our workspaces to have a negative COVID test”, your options are 1) tell the union to buzz off & fire all of your workers and try to find new ones—not a great option and a great way to make enemies in a town where everyone knows everyone, and the production quality is sure to take a massive drop; 2) tell CBS that they need to massively increase their budget so they can conduct six times as many COVID tests every episode, and potentially 1200+ on a single taping day, and they have to pay for six times as many medical personnel & testing equipment to process all these in a timely matter on-site, or 3) wait for the unions to change their requirements.

Sure, Roger (or anyone else) might have priorities or things he would *like* to see happen, and he might try to negotiate for them, but there’s no guarantee he gets them.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
No, not at all.

The current showrunners are spending thousands of dollars per episode on COVID compliance every episode. They have to pay for 200+ COVID tests per tape date for every audience member & crew member. I am sure they would rather that money be used in the budget in other ways. It definitely isn’t being done out of convenience.

Roger (or anyone else) can’t magically wave a wand and tell TVC employees “we don’t WANT to pay thousands of dollars for COVID testing, so we won’t, hope you’re fine with that” or tell the unions that provide key crew members “yeah, your contracts says you’re entitled to X working conditions as part of COVID compliance, but we don’t want to do those.”

If the union that provides cameramen & grips & production workers says “we require everybody that potentially could come in contact with our members at our workspaces to have a negative COVID test”, your options are 1) tell the union to buzz off & fire all of your workers and try to find new ones—not a great option and a great way to make enemies in a town where everyone knows everyone, and the production quality is sure to take a massive drop; 2) tell CBS that they need to massively increase their budget so they can conduct six times as many COVID tests every episode, and potentially 1200+ on a single taping day, and they have to pay for six times as many medical personnel & testing equipment to process all these in a timely matter on-site, or 3) wait for the unions to change their requirements.

Sure, Roger (or anyone else) might have priorities or things he would *like* to see happen, and he might try to negotiate for them, but there’s no guarantee he gets them.

I trust your knowledge/interpretation of the situation. My question is, do the same crews not staff Maher's and Corden's respective shows, which play to full capacity in the same space?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2023, 11:41:30 PM »
Maybe. But there’s also a huge difference in the way those shows use their audience.

Full disclosure I don’t know that specific scenario with the unions is true for certain, I just started from the assumption that “COVID testing is a need, not a want” and then worked backwards.