Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Price Moving Out of Television City  (Read 45399 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
CONFIRMED: Price Moving Out of Television City
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:14:51 PM »
Multiple members attending tapings lately have reported rumors swirling around that Price will have to move from Television City soon. Randy West says the five year grace period after the sale of the building is rapidly approaching (and the new owner doesn't care to keep any of the old stuff, it looks like). This is something to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0suvmzJcg7vhVF6NQ9BS1QDfTL6N6iC1aVcPkjApVtY62UJAUdoJEo5JPWDF6Nw2el&id=1380727306&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6&_r

Changed thread title since these aren't rumors anymore. It's happening.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:44:50 AM by therealcu2010 »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Price Moving Out of Television City?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:20:34 PM »
The Paramount lot is relatively close, has plenty of stages, I could see them dedicating an entire stage to The Price Is Right and nothing else.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 12:34:27 AM »
I think it would move to the Radford Studio Center before the Paramount lot. I could be wrong though.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 07:35:19 AM »
While I'd lean toward a move to Paramount, I could see them moving to either place.  What I don't see is the show going back to TVC even if the option were there in the future (as mentioned elsewhere as a possibility).

End of an era, but something I have to admit is okay (while being saddened too).  I'd guess an average viewer or attendee wouldn't care
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 01:56:38 PM »
I presume that would also mean the end of the Bob Barker Studio as well. A sad day.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »
Looking back now, it's actually kind of fortuitous that Covid forced them to adopt the "pods" for the audience section that they have now--I don't think many other TV studios (if any) have a live-theatre-style sunken audience pit like 33 does. So even if they do end up moving studios, the look of the show as it is now would probably stay more or less the same.

I presume that would also mean the end of the Bob Barker Studio as well. A sad day.

I mean, there's nothing that says they couldn't also rename whichever facility they end up at as the Bob Barker Studio...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:53:21 PM by SamJ93 »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
Very saddening news, though not shocking. End of an era.

I mean, there's nothing that says they couldn't also rename whichever facility they end up at as the Bob Barker Studio...

While that would be a kind symbolic gesture, it wouldn’t be the same studio that Bob did 6,000+ shows in.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Hockeyman

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 09:30:33 PM »
I feel like the show will lose a of its originality and historic moments, as no stage can give you the same nostalgia and excitement as this one.  Even if they build the same stage as before, it will never have the same excitement as this one.

Hopefully the set looks the exact same as before, or else the show will lose a lot of its long time viewers, and it will lose of its excitement
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:32:53 PM by Hockeyman »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:07 PM »
I feel like the show will lose a of its originality and historic moments, as no stage can give you the same nostalgia and excitement as this one.  Even if they build the same stage as before, it will never have the same excitement as this one.

Hopefully the set looks the exact same as before, or else the show will lose a lot of its long time viewers, and it will lose of its excitement

False to all of this.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 01:29:00 AM »
I hate it, but I get it.  My hate is more-so for the fact I’ll never get to see Studio 33 if this truly goes down.  However, it will still be the same show at the end of the day that I’ll enjoy just the same as always.  I’ll still make my pilgrimage to (insert future studio here) whenever the stars align.  I’m surprised the show lasted this long at TVC post-CBS sale of the facility, to be honest.   

Given the complexities involved in the creation of the set as we know it, I imagine every opportunity will be taken to make the show look exceptionally similar, if not practically identical, to the way it appears now — at least to the untrained eye.  Big Doors, the turntable, etc. can’t be easily recreated, so I’m sure what we have now will simply be dismantled and reassembled.  They’ll probably want as little fanfare around this move as possible.  I’ll even go out on a limb and say the audience pit will probably be reconstructed in the new studio — albeit with production-friendly modifications that weren’t thought of or needed 50+ years ago.  And if there was ever a good reason to finally ditch the pods in favor of regular, ‘normal’ seating, this move provides the perfect transition.  If filling 300+ seats is a concern post-Covid, they can simply scale down the the size of the audience pit to maybe 100-200 seats.  After all, it’s a new studio — a fresh start.  They can do whatever the hell they want!

Until I see a leaked photo proving otherwise in the coming months, I don’t see any reason to get worked up over this.  51 years is a remarkable time for a production to remain in the same studio — never mind for a production to be on the air at all!

In some ways, it’s kind of exciting to see such an historic change take place just for how big of a deal it is (to me as a fan, anyway).  I’ll try my best to look forward to it unless/until I’m given a reason not to.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 11:56:46 PM »
there's nothing that says they couldn't also rename whichever facility they end up at as the Bob Barker Studio...

While that would be a kind symbolic gesture, it wouldn’t be the same studio that Bob did 6,000+ shows in.

It's kind of like, the current facility where the New York Yankees play their home games is called Yankee Stadium, but it's not the "Yankee Stadium" of legend, the one where legends from Ruth to Mantle played.

On the other hand, in the case of TPIR moving to a new studio, I think the only way I'd object to it being named after Bob Barker would be if the show was announced as coming "from the famous Bob Barker studio," specifically the use of the word "famous" in the introduction.  Studio 33 at CBS is the famous Bob Barker studio.  Studio ___ at _________ facility isn't, and I'd hope they wouldn't pretend it is.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 07:48:40 AM »
It's kind of like, the current facility where the New York Yankees play their home games is called Yankee Stadium, but it's not the "Yankee Stadium" of legend, the one where legends from Ruth to Mantle played.

Or the current stadium where the Chicago Bears of the NFL play home games may be called Soldier Field, but it's not the same one that showcased legends like Jim McMahon and Walter Payton and William "The Refrigerator" Perry, IIRC.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 12:24:23 PM »
Sure, but those stadiums weren't named after a specific person who did a specific thing.

If the thing that makes it the Bob Barker Studio is because the plaque next to the entrance says it is, then fine. But it wasn't put there because they wanted to remind Bill Maher where he stood on the totem pole. It was because Bob did 5,000 shows from that stage.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 12:56:58 PM »
Regardless what happens, it truly is remarkable the show has remained in its present location for all these years. All the other long-airing game shows have moved more than once. The only other show I can think of that approaches this sort of record would be The Young and the Restless, also at TVC, if you count the two as comparable.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:03:03 PM by publisher »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 01:04:04 PM »

Maybe they could call it/say, "From The Bob Barker Stage at Paramount Studios (or at Radford)"

It's so early as it relates to it, and I don't know how much I'm going to be saddened (if at all) if they have to omit the Bob Barker Studio thing, but I imagine, if possible, they could recognize him.  It they don't it's not the end of the world, especially with the minimal at best backlash it'll receive.

I think I'd make the bet that the show will look close to, if not exactly like it does now.  I could be totally wrong, but I don't know if there would be a big difference unless TPTB wanted to change things (or had to).  Family Feud has taped in at least three different states, and they managed to make things identical.

I'm thinking too much into this; in the aftermath of their move, I don't think it'll be a big deal overall.  What's sad is if you've visited the area & end up going to a show somewhere else, but IMO that's where it ends
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck