Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 1386 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2024 MLB Season
« on: December 09, 2023, 03:30:05 PM »
I apologize for getting the thread going super early.  I'm not sure if I could've bumped a past thread, but I guess not since those are for the 2023 season.  Plus, I don't know if this deserved its own thread, but it does relate to the upcoming season in 2024.

IOW, Ohtani is staying in LA, but with the NL team from that city

TBH, I actually saw TEN figures or $10 Billion for Shohei.  That may be a ton, but I guess the Dodgers could afford it.  Elsewhere, I said to crown Los Angeles.  While people argued the same thing with the Angels, the issue there is that they didn't have a ton toward a title, whereas the Dodgers have enough to win the World Series without Ohtani
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2024 MLB Season
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 05:18:31 PM »
My brother calls $700 million for ten years "stupid money" in that nobody's worth that much. Chump change compared to what Travis Kelce's squeeze made this year in contrast but still, for that kind of cheddar the Dodgers better keep him healthy, especially if he does double duty again (starting pitcher, DH).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 09:59:40 PM »
Word now is that the Dodgers and Ohtani have agreed to defer $680 million of that money ($68 million a year) until the end of his contract, after which Ohtani gets the deferred money. This helps the Dodgers stay under the luxury tax threshold.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 03:56:30 AM »
Dodgers shore up their rotation with the signing of Yoshinobu Yamamoto, top prospect FA pitcher. 12 years, $325 million. In Japan he had a 1.72 ERA and a 4.56 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 07:54:09 AM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 11:01:11 PM »
Here is the schedule and slated start times for Opening Day 2024.

All 30 teams will be in action on that day, including reigning champion Texas, who hosts the 2016 Champions in the evening EST on ESPN.

On a personal note, I was looking forward to Ohtani and LA, especially after the news regarding Gerrit Cole.  At least most people are probably aware of the big story surrounding him.  He did speak this afternoon FYI.

As for the Fall Classic favorites, Dodgers are around 3 to 1.  I think over 3 to 1 to win the title.  Followed by Atlanta, Houston, and the New York Yankees at 4.5 to 1, 7 to 1, and 9 to 1, respectively.  The defending champions & Baltimore both have a 14/1 chance

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 11:26:26 PM »
The big stink right now is with Ohtani's interpreter and his alleged stealing of Ohtani's  money to pay off gambling debts. The interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, who has since been fired, claims Ohtani gave him the money. Ohtani denies this, so now an investigation is ongoing.

Insofar as postseason goes, you shouldn't trust me to speak your weight as I stink at predictions, but I will say (given their preseason, finishing 23-6) that Baltimore could truly be a dark horse for the World Series.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 06:47:12 PM »
Toronto opens its 2024 campaign with a 8-2 victory over Tampa Bay
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 02:50:05 AM »
Arizona, defending NL champs, wasted zero time with Colorado as the D-backs plate 14 runs in the third inning en route to a 16-1 win. It was the highest scoring season opener since 1900.

The two rainouts--Atlanta @ Philadelphia and Milwaukee @ Mets--will be made up today.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 11:25:56 AM »
While not as impressive as the Diamondbacks, the defending AL champions & reigning MLB champs picked up where they left off...winning the game 4-3.  Texas & Chicago will be back in action tonight.

As for the rainouts, it happens, but it appears that teams that could benefit from an earlier Opening Day within a season opt not too.  Instead, teams without a dome or year-round decent weather are starting things in March.  Whatever, but winter just ended

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 12:10:22 PM »
Atlanta goes 2-1 against Philadelphia (where Ronald Acuna is the most hated man in town), and curiously none of the starting pitchers (except Aaron Nola) figured in a decision.
Max Fried didn't get out of the first inning in Saturday's game and currently holds a 45.00 ERA. Some see this as a chink in the Atlanta pitching armor while the team sees it as a mere hiccup.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 08:28:18 AM »
The first no-hitter of the season is chalked up as Houston's Ronel Blanco tosses it in the Astros' 10-0 beatdown of Toronto. Blanco allowed just two walks and struck out seven.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:49:11 AM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 11:57:03 AM »
The Oakland A's will leave the city after this season and play in Sacramento until their new stadium in Las Vegas is done in '27.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 04:02:38 AM »
Spencer Strider, Atlanta pitcher considered to be a Cy Young frontrunner this year, may now be toast. He left Friday's game vs. Arizona with elbow soreness; an MRI showed ligament damage. Strider had Tommy John surgery in 2019 when he was at Clemson, and it is believed this will require it again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:14:44 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 11:50:15 PM »
On a related note to the above, it appears that the MLBPA is blaming the pitch clock as the reason for all of the injuries.  I don't know if I can agree there; I can see that as a reason, but I think it's too soon to tell.  MLB isn't buying it

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 03:18:52 AM »
They're sure not. They cite there were more pitcher injuries before the pitch clock was initiated. Shane Bieber of the Guardians is done for the year as he is having TJ surgery.
--Michel de Montaigne