Author Topic: Respecting Bob  (Read 19876 times)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Respecting Bob
« on: March 08, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
I know I'm probably overreacting, but I didn't think much of a T-shirt a contestant was wearing on Friday that started with "Bob Who?"  That's like saying his 35 years of hosting the show--most likely longer than she's been alive--didn't mean anything. Why not something like "Bob, we'll never forget you, but now we've got Drew." That way you're celebrating Drew as host and also showing respect for the man who had a lot to do with making TPIR what it is now.

As I said, I'm probably overreacting. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
Re: Respecting Bob
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. It was very disrespectful towards Bob. I've seen a few other shirts like this in the audience (and on a couple contestants) since Drew took over and I simply don't like it, but I like how Drew doesn't acknowledge those shirts or if there's something else on it too he ignores the part about "Bob who".
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
I'm amazed that people with these shirts are even being picked as contestants.

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
I'm amazed that people with these shirts are even being picked as contestants.

Well, if the rumors about everyone not being too fond of Bob are true...then it makes pretty good sense.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »
Well, people who dislike Bob or don't think much of his style of hosting or whatever else about him should certainly be considered as contestants, but that doesn't mean they have to appear on camera wearing such a low-class message on their shirts. I don't know whether she meant it to come across the way it did or not, but I see many people on the board have found it to be offensive or disrespectful, so I know I'm not alone in thinking that. Hag, I thought your idea for what she could have said was excellent.  It conveys the most important part of the message without coming across as, frankly, being a complete jerk.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:25:36 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline pentellit

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Wait a minute.  Now people have to show respect for a person they have no respect for?
Quote from: price_authority
Bob Barker seems to have little regard for testifying truthfully under oath.
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
I really have no desire to sit through another round of this.
      Then don't.
*Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION. (TY p_a ;))

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
Wait a minute.  Now people have to show respect for a person they have no respect for?

Well, I would certainly suggest showing respect to someone when you are going to a place where they are well known and respected.  As much as you might not like George Bush, for example, walking into the White House with a "I hate Bush" shirt will get you shown the door.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »

No, I don't think anyone said they have to come in and bow down or anything like that. Just don't mention him if you don't like him. What does it say about a person who would go out of his or her way to draw major attention to the fact that he/she is completely ignorant of the contributions Bob made over the last 35 years? There's a difference in not liking Barker and having no class. (I don't know the woman at all, and I don't know for sure what was written on her shirt is what she really meant to say. I would certainly hope she just chose her words poorly.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:48:28 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »
Just throwing my 2 cents in...

I don't know where all this anti-Barker sentiment came from.  Before October 15, 2007, I rarely heard anything anti-Barker on this website or anywhere else.  Now, it has almost become unavoidable. 

People are certainly entitled to thier opinions -- after all, this is a message board.  However, the whole disrespect, low-class approach is not the way to do it.  Some members justified their opinions that the last several seasons of Price have been lackluster compared to this season.  I do agree that this season is more friendly and more fun to watch than the past few seasons.  But, the whole anti-Barker crowd really gets me.  Hell, without the man we wouldn't even be discussing these issues today.  You don't have to like Barker as a person, but if you like watching Price, you have to have some respect for a man who sustained the empire!

I just can't believe that this time last year, these comments were few and far between.  Today, something new like this appears all too often.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:47 PM »
Amen to that!

Offline KimmiKat

• In the Audience
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
I still prefer Bob over Carey anyday.
Sometimes my train of thought often pulls from the station without me.

Offline pentellit

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
he/she is completely ignorant of the contributions Bob made over the last 35 years
It doesn't mean they're ignorant of Barker's contributions, it just means they don't like him!
Quote from: price_authority
Bob Barker seems to have little regard for testifying truthfully under oath.
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
I really have no desire to sit through another round of this.
      Then don't.
*Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION. (TY p_a ;))

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »
It doesn't mean they're ignorant of Barker's contributions, it just means they don't like him!

It's very rude to go to TPiR wearing a shirt that writes Bob off as if he was a guest host a couple of times. If you don't like Bob, TPiR is NOT the place to go to voice that.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
Right, but my point is, show just a little bit of class, dignity, and forethought if you're planning to be on national television.

Offline supergoten

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »
Well, I would certainly suggest showing respect to someone when you are going to a place where they are well known and respected.  As much as you might not like George Bush, for example, walking into the White House with a "I hate Bush" shirt will get you shown the door.

I very much agree... you don't have to like him, but please just show some respect. I think it's strange that many people's attitudes have changed so much recently. Just a few months ago, everyone was complaining about Bob retiring and thinking that the show would be terrible. Now everyone's praising Drew (nothing wrong with that) but badmouthing Bob... ok, you don't have to like him as a host, but insults like that are just stupid, IMO.

Personally I like both in their own different ways....