Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/02/2008  (Read 37566 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/02/2008
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
The Price is Right - June 2, 2008
Production #4361K - Taped May 13, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Amber

Models of the Day: Amber Lancaster, Tamiko Nash and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Niteline

1   Elliptical Trainer (R)
ZACHARIAH 3000 MARY 2200 JOSEPH *1250 KATIE 1 ($2000)

Joseph plays 1 RIGHT PRICE

Aico Cortina Sofa (R)$2199$2199WIN!
Kawaskai KX100 Motorcycle (A)$3349

2   VocoPro Sonic Station (T)
+Zachariah 550 +Mary 1 ONALEE 675 +Katie *750 ($1000)

Katie, a student at Northern Arizona, plays BONKERS for a Beachcomber Hot Tub (A&R)($7213)

3 5 4 7 TIme
1.H L H L:21
2.H H L H:06
3.H L H L:00LOSS

Another looker. Not a Bonkers player.

3   Davis Vanrtage Pro 2 Weather Station (A)
+Zachariah 800 +Mary 1200 Onalaee 1 CARMEL *750 ($760)

Carmel plays MORE OR LESS

Largo Heritage Dining Group$750MORE$1,195*
Lobster Elite Tennis Ball Machine 2,000LESS1,049*
Vermont Signature 5-Burner Gas Grill 3,000LESS1,399*
Chevy Cobalt LS (Std., Prot)(A)18,980LESS16,404WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,000Katie75 stay.75
7,548Joseph15 + 50.65
20,807Carmel80 + 00.80Through to Showcase Round

4   Capel Prism Area Rug (R)
+Zachariah 950 +Mary 1200 Onalee *1201 JENAY 1050 ($1748)

Onalee plays PUSHOVER for a (Panasonic) 50" Plasma HDTV (A&T)

Setup:3 4 9 8 1 9 9 6 0
Pick:3[4 9 8 1]
Price:$3498   LOSS

Easiest setup one could possibly get.

5   Capressa Impressa Coffee Center (A&T)
+Zachariah 1100 +Mary 1 KENNETH *850 Jenay 700 ($1000)

Kenneth, who goes to Radford, plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a Mercury Milan I4 (Std., 2.3l, Lighting, Stereo)(R)($20,135)

$14,699 $16,490 $18,421 $19,460 $21,962
WIN!

So we come to the final One-Bid and we have two leftovers in Zachariah and Mary. One of them will surely get the wrath of Mimi at the "First Four" Breakfast Club, but one could escape. Mary stands the best chance as she has the last bid. Will someone escape?

6   Old Town Charles River Canoe (A&T)
+Zachariah 1202 +Mary *1225 TRINA 1200 Jenay 1201 ($1447)

Zachariah heads off to the membership desk while Mary escapes! She plays for an Ashley Carlisle Bedroom Group and a Bemco Posture Fairfax Sleep Set (R)($3699)

"Then" is March 1997

(2) Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix1.55THENTHEN
(1) V8 Vegetable Cocktail3.15NOWNOW*
(3) Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away13.99NOWNOWWIN!
(4) Kraft Miracle Whip (32 oz)
(5) Cajun Injector
(6) Gold Bond Cream

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,748Onalee90 stay.90
5,146Mary15 + 851.00*$1000*   Bonus 35   Through to Showcase Round
21,135Kenneth40 + 25.65

SHOWCASE ROUND
Carmel has the honor.

SC1-Carmel Trip to Kaua'i (6n @ Marriott)
Trip to Berlin (6n)
Big 5 11d Kenyan Photo Safari (A&R)
BID$28,500
PRICE29,287
DIFF–787
TOTAL$50,094
SC2-Mary Giant USA Flag (R)
Yamaha Venture Light Snowmobile (A)
Chevy Equinox LS (Std., V6, AT, OnStar, AirBag)(T)
BID$23,000
PRICE32,087
DIFF–9,087
TOTAL$  6,146

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $86,671

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:13:50 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/02/2008
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
That was a highly enjoyable show today.  Every contestant who got up on stage was above-average enjoyable.  Even Katie, despite not really playing Bonkers that well.

Which isn't to say there wasn't a most enjoyable one.  That'd be Mary.  Great reactions, and great banter with Drew.  People always used to want Bob.  Now they're wanting Drew, too!

Speaking of Mary being likable, it seemed Jenay and Zachariah also really wanted Mary to make it up on stage for the final game.  Either that or they didn't really understand the $1-upping strategy very well.

Carmel... always nice to see Katrina victims on the show.  Or I like it, anyway.  I'm impressed she was able to get the wheel all the way around!  And impressed with her showcase bid:  I thought for sure she was over!  Good fooling me, Carmel.

Nice of Kenneth to win That's Too Much, if for no other reason than to not hear everyone here complaining about it being too hard.  Also nice of Kenneth to give a respectable shout.  Those are harder to come by, since Drew doesn't try to get 'em to shout it like Bob did.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
My 6th Trip to TPIR Trip report Part 2 – Airs 6/2/08

Without any sort of idea of the reasons for what me and my family was subjected to from the previous day’s taping, after the taping was over I didn’t have a clue where to start looking for answers - Should I ask CBS guest relations? Perhaps try to contact someone from CBS Daytime Television? Or even higher than that my mom suggested we write a letter to the FCC but I knew that would be way too drastic and it was unlikely they’d do anything. 

In the mean time, I did what I could and consulted as many people as I could – including several members on this board, the front row crew from the previous day’s taping which I had made fast friends with in the camp out the previous night, the guy that runs the bagel shop across the street, and the staff at the Farmer’s Daughter hotel where we stayed at (An aside: Tedd doesn’t do his normal 10 PM TPIR lecture anymore, and there was an incident when he talked down to my mom and I like we couldn’t understand English – I thought this was derogatory and disrespectful and to say the least I will not be staying there again if I can expect to be treated like that).  The consensus opinion was that everyone else was just as clueless as to why this happened as I was, and that it was probably wrong simply because I was not given any sort of reason why.  I had also asked everyone whether I should attend the next day’s taping knowing that it would be likely I would get the same treatment – and it appeared the majority opinion was to just show up, don’t do anything too crazy (i.e. try to be #1 in line again) and see how they respond to that, although some people including my mom thought I shouldn’t go again because I should be getting the same treatment.  An important point that someone brought up was that I was not actually barred from going to the show as of that point in time, and at the very least if they wanted to bar me from going that they would’ve done so already.  With that, I went to bed after getting a grand total of zero sleep the night before with this issue still hanging over my head and my mom and aunt still demanding an answer as to why.

For today’s taping, I had priority tickets from Hollywood Tickets, meaning that I would not need to show up to the studio until 9 AM.  Still unsure whether I should attend, I took the opportunity to jump into Daytime Chat an hour before that time and get some feedback from the members that were there – everyone I talked to was just as dissatisfied with what happened as I was, but I should still just go to the show and try to enjoy it.  Despite my mom’s theory that the production staff doesn’t want me to come back and since they can’t ban me from going without a reason, they could give me this treatment and eventually I’ll get tired and not come back and that would yield the same result as banning me, I chose to show up to see the show – and at the very least try to enjoy it.  However, I also didn’t know what time I had to show up to get to the taping of Dancing With the Stars on the other side of CBS TVC – the primary reason my family and I made the trip.  Knowing that we may have had to show up to that studio right around the time the first taping ended, and since Dancing With the Stars requires semi-formal attire, I showed up to the TPIR taping dressed in a suit.  While I knew I was kind of over dressed for TPIR, I knew that there was a possibility that I’d have to bail on the TPIR taping just to show up to Dancing With the Stars in time. 

Arrival at CBS Television City: As I arrived on the CBS lot about 20 minutes early,  I took the opportunity to meet some people – including the first few people in line who had been in line for 12 hours.  I had also met a few people that have been to tapings before and I had talked about possibly strategy for the interviews – and what I was told was almost verbatim from Tedd’s old night-before TPIR lectures at the Farmer’s Daughter hotel.  I had also met some people (Including Kenneth) from the Radford University – which is somewhere in the neck of the woods where I live.  I’ll admit I was a bit jealous that their entire group was on their way to Australia the next day.

Roger Tells the Show’s Side of the Story: Karen Winchell, the head of Guest Relations pulled me out of the line and just outside of the overhang of the audience holding area so I could talk to Roger Dobkowitz himself.  I had many unanswered questions for him based on how I had been treated the last 3 times I’ve been to the show, but I was quite worried I would get some sort of warning for what happened the day before considering what I thought the budget situation was. 

The first thing I questioned Roger about what was the reason for what happened yesterday and why my mom and aunt were also marked like I was.  I had also mentioned that I was told that if I was alone that I’d be in the back. Roger told me was that my presence there put their production staff in a bind because they didn’t expect me to show up to that day’s taping (Like I was supposed to call them in advance and tell them when I’m going to attend tapings?).  While he did admit the way they handled the situation was wrong, I don’t think he formally apologized for what happened, because he pushed that aside to get to his point. 

Roger explained that helping people I met in line was the important issue at hand.  I had told him that I guessed this was an issue with the budget - since I wasn’t sure how their budget situation was (I thought it was bad), but he assured me that this was irrelevant to what he had to say.  The important thing was that the people I meet in line that get help from me could provide an unfair advantage for them on the show.  The figure they could come up with was that I could potentially meet around 50-100 people in line before the show and that since they believed that I am someone that knows a lot about the prices that any contestants out of that 50-100 people are at an advantage over the other contestants in the 200-250 others that don’t know me.  While I hadn’t thought of that point of view, it kind of made sense, but I didn’t understand how they expect to run an audience participation show if they don’t want someone to participate – to which he responded that they believe they think I know “a lot” about prices and reiterated the point about unfair advantage for contestants who know who I am.

Another issue that they had was that any of the contestants in the 50-100 people I meet will all look to me – and it looks bad on camera if all of those contestants look specifically to me, and he pointed out an example from the previous day’s taping (the 5/29/08 show) when Michael looked directly at me after each one-bid.  He explained how it “takes away from the spirit of the show” that it’s the entire crowd that helps – and not just one person.  I had asked him why are we running an audience participation show if they don’t want me to participate – and again he pointed back to the same reason of unfair advantage for contestants I meet in line.  He mentioned that people on TV would wonder why is everyone looking at that one person for advice? While he didn’t specifically give me a reason for that, I had thought about it later and recognized that could be a pause for concern – as someone on TV may think I’m a ringer planted there by CBS that knows all the prices.

Roger then told me that because of these reasons, they would have to subject me to certain terms and conditions if I wanted to continue to attend tapings.  He told me that because of these two reasons that if I wanted to continue to attend tapings that I would have to refrain from talking to people in line even outside of the studio (because I could talk to audience members I meet about prices in the line).  The pages outside would watch to see if I was talking to anyone in line to check and make sure of that.  In addition, I would also have to sit in the back so I couldn’t be seen on camera too.  If I did not comply with these terms and conditions, I would be asked to leave the lot and not be allowed back.

Roger used an analogy to compare what these terms and conditions were –  he compared it to catching a card counter in Las Vegas – if they are caught, they have to either comply (which they likely won’t) or they will get banned from coming back.  Immediately, I wonder whether this would affect any possible contestant eligibility I have left – which I ask him next.  He doesn’t give me a direct answer – he said that “No, you’re not ineligible because you are classified as eligible based on our eligibility guidelines – you don’t know anyone on the production staff, any sponsors of the show, nor do you work for a CBS affiliate.”  Unfortunately, he didn’t give me a straight answer so I interpreted this as “You’re still eligible but we’re not likely going to pick you because of these reasons we just told you,”  since he neglected to mention the reasons for the terms and conditions. This was quite disheartening, and I walked back to my place in line kind of dejected as I reluctantly agreed to Roger’s conditions just so I don’t get banned from seeing the show again.

The entire conversation between me and Roger was seen in plain view by the audience holding area – and I had been asked by several people I’d already met about what happened.  I was basically forced to respond with “They told me I can’t talk to anyone in line or else I’ll get kicked out.” However, I did something else to make sure the people around me knew what was going on – I had called several of my contacts on my cell phone who I had gotten advice from about what happened and I knew that everyone around me overheard it. 

Waiting in line with no one to talk to: I was very fidgety during the next few hours in line – I was really bored since I couldn’t meet anyone in line, and four hours is a long time to kill when you’ve got nothing to do except sit on benches and stare at the parking lot.  I had contemplated walking out about 3 times because I really felt unhappy with this turn of events, but I knew that walking out would be the same as not complying with the terms and conditions and I’ll end up barred anyway.

By the time Stan’s interview came around, I was not in the right frame of mind to be happy and energetic like I should be during the interview and also thinking that they’ll never pick me because of the terms and conditions that Roger outlined earlier.  If Stan wasn’t going to pick me – he certainly didn’t act like he wouldn’t during my interview.  Stan commented on my suit and I mentioned I wanted to look good on TV, but when he asked about if my mom enjoyed the show yesterday, that really struck a nerve and I passed it off by saying “yes” just because I knew it wouldn’t be appropriate to bring up a can of worms in front of the rest of the audience. 

After going through security, I was seated at the beginning of the 3rd bench, and #1 in line asked me how I did in the interview – to which I again gave my response of “I can’t talk to anyone or they’ll kick me out.”  The entire wait on the benches was really straining and boring, and it was frustrating not to talk to anyone in line – especially when you know a lot about the show and want to correct what people think they know about the show – i.e. someone in line thought that they pick everyone in military uniforms, someone thought that they still played Plinko for $25,000 and that the Showcase Showdown is the last act of the show.  Thankfully, as #201, I didn’t have to wait more than 45 minutes to go in the studio and Charles, the head page, allowed me to go take my seat first, since I knew where I was going to be sitting.

I knew I was going to be sitting in the back by the sound mixer, but I had no idea they would tape off a seat with my name on it like they usually do for VIP’s (There’s an example in the Golden Gallery here).  As we are filing in, I notice that were seated around me in line were looking for where I was sitting – and they all waved apologetically at where I was placed.  At least I knew they got the message and found out what happened to me. 

It’s Showtime: I don’t remember too much of what happened because I was more scared of making any sudden movements that could be interpreted as a signal, but I guess I didn’t realize at the time that nobody would be looking for me anyway – except for maybe the Radford group.

1 Right Price: The audience was split on what they thought the right prize was – and I thought he would’ve lost, but I guess I didn’t notice it was Aico.

Bonkers: I knew Katie was already at a disadvantage wearing flip-flops, but unfortunately she didn’t realize that 30 seconds really isn’t that long that looking at the audience won’t really help you.

More or Less: This clearly was set up for a win – with two prizes with prices marked $1000-2000 away from the ARP.  Drew talked to her during the break and found out that Carmel was a victim from Hurricane Katrina – so we were all happy for her that she won the car.

Push Over: There were probably a couple of choices for the price - $3498 and $4981.

That’s Too Much!: I was glad that Kenneth won the car since this isn’t a car they offer much on the show.  Most of their group wanted him to go one more after $21,962 though.  At this point I couldn’t believe the lineup timed way too short – with no GP or SP game this lineup had to have at least 5-6 minutes left, I would’ve thought they could play something like Shell Game last.

Now…or Then: But instead they pick a not-so-exciting game.  I really liked Drew’s joke of I used to be “Young and Restless, Bold and Beautiful” but nobody got it I guess.  Another really easy setup that you could tell which one was now or then based on the packaging only.

SCSD2: In my previous 5 trips to TPIR, I have seen at least 1 big wheel winner each time – the streak continues!

Showcases: Almost everyone in the audience thought Carmel was way over on her showcase, but I knew the African Safari was way more than anyone thought.  I thought she had a DSW-quality bid and I was going to fall out of my chair laughing if they got a DSW on an all-trip showcase and I didn’t even help.  My bids in studio were 31000/32400 – a double overbid! The $50,094 graphic was added in post-production because I know I didn’t see it on the monitors after the showcase.  May I also mention that Rich does run pretty fast when he has to get to door #1 to greet the winner at the ending after saying the outro.

I left this taping even more bitter than the day before – the entire experience of this taping was tainted by the terms and conditions that I can’t say that I enjoyed the taping at all.  While I understood from their point of view why they didn’t want me to participate, I still think that was wrong that they want to silence me completely when I’m even on the CBS lot.  Maybe my mom was right that they don’t want me back in studio and they’ll give me the shaft whenever I go back because I didn’t take the hint.  Fortunately, thanks to our favorite former page Chuck - Dancing With the Stars an hour after the taping made my folks happy and compensated for the way we were treated at TPIR – I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed it had I not seen Usher, one of my favorite artists.  After that, it was time to head home and forget about what it’s like seeing the magic of television in person for at least a while. 

On the plane going home, my mom had talked with me about what she thought about TPIR (lets just say there were some choice expletives that can’t be repeated on this family friendly website) as well as was what the production staff was trying to get me to do – that is not come back to any more tapings and not pick me as a contestant.  Since my primary objective in going to tapings is to eventually live the dream and “Come on Down,” and knowing that my chances could seriously be in danger thanks to the events of this week, I’m not so sure I would ever want to go back to a TPIR taping, but doing that would just satisfy what the production staff wanted.  I thought there was no way they’d ever ban an eligible contestant from going back to the studio, but I was very close at one point during this trip – and that’s not how I want to go see TPIR – silenced the entire wait time.  It sucks that the only thing I did wrong was watch the show every day and pay attention to prizes they offer on the show.

Many people ask me why I go back for so many tapings even though I haven’t been a contestant yet.  While trying to be a contestant on a game show is priority #1, as it has been a dream of mine since I first saw a taping of Jeopardy! in Washington, DC when I was 10 years old, I know that meeting people in line from all over the world from different backgrounds in a microcosm of America that is The Price is Right Audience is worth its weight in gold – and if I can’t meet anyone, I don’t see how that can be enjoyable experience anymore.  Maybe I’ll go back in the future, or maybe not, but based on the events of this week, I think living the dream at TPIR of being a contestant could likely be dead for me, but the dream of being a contestant on a game show still lives, and I hope and pray that one day I’ll finally to fulfill the dream.

- Voltaire Ronquillo
(Voltron291)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:18:25 PM by Voltron291 »

Offline LovesSurvivorAndTPIR

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:42 PM »
The setup of Now...or Then was really easy today. It was so obvious that the V8/Cake Mix/Freeze-Away trio would win it easily. I'm happy that Carmel won her showcase. That was an amazing showcase. I'm jealous.
Av Changes: 1) Zuiikin English!; 2) Chicken gets voted out of Survivor China; 3) Boo-Boo, the greatest contestant of The Price is Right's first season; 4) Quite possibly the cutest fall in Survivor history; 5) Parvati, the winner of Survivor: Fans vs. Faves; 6) Kathreya, the Thai Cookie Monster

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
THAT'S TOO HARD being won completely made my day. Excellent bid on an all-trip SC as well!

A-
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline LovesSurvivorAndTPIR

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
Whoa, I just read your story, Voltron, and I completely sympathize for you. It's very shocking and not what I would expect from TPIR.
Av Changes: 1) Zuiikin English!; 2) Chicken gets voted out of Survivor China; 3) Boo-Boo, the greatest contestant of The Price is Right's first season; 4) Quite possibly the cutest fall in Survivor history; 5) Parvati, the winner of Survivor: Fans vs. Faves; 6) Kathreya, the Thai Cookie Monster

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:30:01 PM »
Talk about easy setups, More or Less was setup incredibly easy today. In fact i'd surmise that today's setup was the easiest in the brief history of the game.

I know Bonkers has been played 2nd several times before but for some reason i'm always surprised to see it played in that slot.

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
Is it just me, or does playing More or Less third ruin suspense?  I'd bet most people, when they see the game revealed, aren't expecting the car as the big prize at the end, but since it was played third and no car game was played yet, it was kinda obvious that there'd be a car given away.

And thanks for sharing your story with us, Voltron; I can see why they did what they did, and I hope that things are a bit more enjoyable when or if you go back.
So long!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
Mary was definitely a lot of fun... I think she had very very dirty Drew thoughts on her mind. :lol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
Is it just me, or does playing More or Less third ruin suspense?  Since it was played third and no car game was played yet, it was kinda obvious that there'd be a car given away.

Any Number and Ten Chances would also ruin suspense.  However, once the Giant Price Tag (or is it the Race Game curtain?) raises and you see the podiums used, then you know it's More or Less, regardless of what slot it is in, so technically the suspense isn't ruined whether it's in 3rd and you're expecting a car or in 1st(!) and don't know whether a car game will be played or not.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
More or Less was really set up for a win today. However, unlike previous times, it was actually WON!

Did anyone else notice that it was set up exactly the same as Bonkers? H L L L and M L L L? :biggrin:

Bonkers, however, was rather pathetic. She looked, she dawdled, she lost.

It's a strange day when both MoL and TTM are won, but Pushover with a pretty easy setup is lost. Now, if it had been Coming or Going with a prize that ended in -5, I wouldn't have been surprised in the least. :oldlol:
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »
However, once the Giant Price Tag (or is it the Race Game curtain?) raises and you see the podiums used, then you know it's More or Less, regardless of what slot it is in, so technically the suspense isn't ruined whether it's in 3rd and you're expecting a car or in 1st(!) and don't know whether a car game will be played or not.

I wasn't talking about myself (I know MoL is a car game), I'm talking about the average Joe Plunko.  You're forgiven. :)
So long!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
One Right Price - That was quite the interesting sofa. i wasnt sure on this one because that bike looked like it could be 2199

Bonkers - do not look to the audience, u will loose time and run out of chances

More or Less - easy setup. Carmel really deserved the win too

Push Over - 3498 stood out to me

Thats Too Much - That was nice to see it won

Now or Then - im glad mary got up on stage she was such a colourful contestant

Showcases - Carmel had an awesome bid on that i nearly thought she might have had a dsw

grade: 8.5/10

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
Voltron, if your dream is to get called on down and you knew many shows ago you were making the show higher-ups unhappy there were many things you could have done to make peace. These things may also help you in the future...

*Quit discussing prices in line. Theres a million other things to talk about in the world. If they want you to keep a lid on it in line, then just meet people by having normal conversation. This also means not making a scene by telling everyone you are banned from discussing prices. We all know how good you are here, its ok if everyone in line dosnt know.

*Just sit in the back and enjoy the show for a while. If you still go back, show them you are willing to cooperate and that you understand their problems. If they see you are not helping out everyone during the show, i bet in time they'll let you move back closer. Plus if contestants don't know you know everything, they won't always look to you.

*Limit how many times you go...  right now you obviously have a poor chance at getting picked, but maybe if you take a break and come back to a few shows next season and follow the above suggestions, Stan will reward you for helping them out and being understanding.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »
Voltron--

I've read your story/posts from both Thursday and today and feel the need to comment about what you wrote so that other members who are reading what you wrote can put certain things into perspective.

I too, along with two other members of this board, was called out on my helping the audience at one point and was told by the producers of the show that if I and my friends came back to the next taping that we could NOT attempt to sit in the front row as we would be moved to the back of the studio and if we were spotted attempting to help anyone we would be asked to leave and not come back.  This person remarked that all contestants would just simply look to us for assistance and this would be unfair.  Personally this hurt me on many levels which I will keep to myself because they involve things immaterial to the question at hand.  I literally ran out of the studio that day almost in tears and certainly angered about the situation.  One of my friends commented that night that they were ready to head right back into line and sit in Seat #1.  I was FLABBERGASTED that he would even consider doing such a thing.  I WANTED to continue to be able to attend the show in the future, and I half-considered being asked what I was asked as a badge of honor because of the "perfect" show I had just for lack of a better word engineered on a day that two of the games were definitely "dob-stoppers", and almost earned someone a DSW with the showcase bid I fingered up.  For the last two days of that trip, I DID AS I WAS ASKED.  The first day my friends and I, well one of my friends anyway, sat way WAY in the back along the curtain wall on Rich's side.  The next day, I sat right by Rich, but still to the far curtain side, SAYING NOTHING.  At the end of that day, we were THANKED for doing as asked, were told the "budget" was back in line and all was well.  On future trips, the question was always made FIRST if "the budget" was in line and everything was OK and ONLY THEN would I go into "fingering" mode.

Now that I got that out, lemme offer this:

1.  You need to know that it probably didn't help your case that you made literal arrangements with the first 50-100 people in line to be the "go-to-guy".  I don't think I ever walked a line when I was there "selling" my TPiR bidding abilities.  I may have proffered advice to people who chose to meet me in line or were sitting next to me on the benches, but NEVER did I offer myself up as the go-to-guy.

2.  Yes TPiR is indeed an "audience participation" show and the show bases their whole format around that.  But I want you to imagine a first five of youself, myself, PriceFan985 and BRB_TheFireball there, maybe not everyday, but let's say for three shows every month.  The show would give away about 4 $500 one-bid bonuses each day, for sure 6 cars, and at least what two maybe three DSWs?  Having someone like us in the audience can be a HUGE liability to the show's financial bottom line as well as it's integrity, not to mention that what if someone who you "agreed" to help beats someone out of someone who didn't (didn't someone else already mention this?).  

3.  How completely simple would it have been on that first day you were asked NOT to help to do exactly that, fingers or no fingers?  I think you put the whole thing into perspective when you talked about in Thursday's post about how your Mom noticed the entire producer's table looking at you and then you "gave them a smirk back".  It seems to me you simply used your fingers to respond to them and that requests be damned, you were gonna play.

We talked about taking some time off and letting things cool down before you did anything drastic and I'm afraid that the advice I offered was apparently ignored.  All I can read in both posts is "P" and vinegar towards the show and the Producers themselves.  I agree completely that the timing of what happened was crappy, no doubt about it.  But I also wonder if it would have made any real difference in how you feel if it had happened had you gone by yourself?  You do understand that nothing would have changed and you still would have been moved to the back that first day anyway, right?  If you TEULY are there to see life-changing events as I go to see, then does it matter whether or not you are a partial orchestrator in said events?

j.m.o.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:35:09 PM by FPGWillyT »