Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/26/2008  (Read 18630 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/26/2008
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
Untitled
Production #4394K - Taped June 10, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Stephanie

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Stephanie Schlund and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Mon Cheri

1   Juliana Greenhouse (B)
RILEY 895 MESHIA 700 MONICA 1100 REBECCA *1101 ($1657)

Rebecca, a student at Iowa, plays BARGAIN BAR

Denver (6n @ Magnolia)(P)$5138$6638$1500
Charleston (6n @ Mills House)(B)PICK$5358$6358$1000LOSS

2   La-Z-Boy Morgan Recliner (P)
+Riley *500 +Meshia 800 +Monica 850 RAYMOND 700 ($549)

Riley from Edmonton, AB plays LET EM ROLL for a Chevy Cobalt (Std)(S)($15,810)

Gold Bond Body Powder$7.20
Phillips Caplets (24)LOWER5.49*
Nabisco Chips Ahoy! Cookies (bag)LOWER3.49*

1.4 Cars & $1000Banks 4
2.$1500
3.$1000LOSS

3   Fitnexx X Series Training Bike (S)
MICHAEL *599 +Meshia 1000 +Monica 1150 Raymond 998 ($799)

Michael plays BALANCE GAME '06 for a Sonoma Symphony Spa (P)

[ 650 ][2000][4000] [3000] 
[$6650]WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,549Raymond75 stay.75
1,657Rebecca40 + 20.60
7,549Michael50 + 45.95Through to Showcase Round

4   Corrtable Tockey Table (B)
JOY 550 +Meshia 1200 +Monica 650 Raymond *675 ($899)

Raymond from Syracuse, NY plays SECRET X for an Ashley Spectra Bedroom Group and a Comfortaire GS700 Sleep Set (S)($3798)

F
X
(eGear) Portable Lantern 23/50 $ 23 $ 50 *
MP3 Player Shower Dock 30/42 42 30 *
WIPEOUT

5   "An Upright Piano" which mysteriously looks like a Glass-Front Fridge/Freezer (P)
Joy 799 +Meshia *1301 +Monica 900 MAJOR 1300 ($1699)

Meshia plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a Fridge/Frezer that looks like a Yamaha Upright Piano (B&S)

Setup:4 8 4 9 5
Pick:$ 4 8 9 5
Price:$ 4 8 9 5   WIN!

BACK TO THE "ONE-BID": Yes, Rich announced the fifth Item as an upright piano. He got his script mixed up. They left it in. Good move. Not only did we see Rich, we saw him wishing he were under a rock somewhere. (It's happened to the best of us)

Now, Monica is the last person standing from the initial lot. If things don't go well now she's off to see Mimi over at the "First Four" Breakfast Club, and if that's not enough to make you crawl under something, what else is?

6   Largo Biscayne Dining Group (S)
Joy 999 RENA 501 +Monica *900 Major 800 ($995)

Monica from Victorville, CA escapes! She plays ONE AWAY for a Mercury Milan I4 (Std., 2.3l, Sync, Mirror, Lighting, Stereo)(P)

Setup1st Try
2 0 2 6 33 7 4
3 1 3 7 42 0 4 8 5
4 2 4 8 53 1
EXACTA!

SHOWDOWN #2
$899Raymond45 +  45.90Through to Showcase Round
6,594Meshia15 +  20.35
21,480Monica45 +100OV

ROBAIR MACKEY SEMI-MEMORIAL STAG SHOWCASE ROUND
Michael has the honor.

SC1-Raymond THE FIRST BANK OF PRICE
Hamilton Beach Eclectrics Small Appliances (B)
wanamakermusic.com 19" LCD HDTV/DVD Combo (P)
2 Kawasaki STX15F Jet Skis (S)
BID$14,800
PRICE20,401
DIFF–5,601
TOTAL$21,300
SC2-Michael THINGS THAT BREAK
Noritake Alere Crystal Stemware (B)
Trip to Honolulu (NWA Vacations; 4n)
Chrysler Sebring LX Conv., (Std., 2.4l, AT, Comm)(P)
BID$24,500
PRICE31,479
DIFF–6,979

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $60,229

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline william79

• In the Audience
    • William's World
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/26/2008
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
In my book, the piano/freezer mixup is the funniest TPIR moment this season...When was the last time Secret 'X' ended with a wipeout?

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
Bargain Bar: I don't know if I would have gotten it right either, especially with the extreme variance in distance between the two cities.

Let 'Em Roll: That was plain unlucky. Perhaps the unluckiest playing I've ever seen of that.

Balance Game: I probably would have done 5000, but he guessed better, turned out alright.

Secret X: Ouch. That's all I gotta say.

Piano v.s. Refrigerator bit: One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time on this show. And it even got Rich some screen time.

Squeeze Play: Seemed pretty easy to me.

One Away: If only it were the MDS, but the goddess that was the sound effects lady might not allow it with all that lack of worship.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
This show was quite enjoyable to me.

I think moreso because of the variety of games -- One Away ending the show is so rare anymore these days - but a 5 horn One Away win is about one of the best ways to end the show.  It's nice to see the 1P game in the 5th slot rather than 4th, just because it's different.  Keeps the viewer actually guessing what's coming next.

I'm very glad they left Rich's error in; it really made for a good moment.

With all the negative comments on the direction of the show here at times, I hope everyone appreciated the Balance Game segment.  Seeing the accompanying audience member put into the shot multiple times was a throw back to the old days.  It certainly made me enjoy the segment much more seeing the husband and wife "team" thoroughly enjoying their experience.

The digital online ticket plug was distorted beyond recognition on my big screen TV.  Did this happen to anyone else?   I could not read it at all.

When was the last time Secret 'X' ended with a wipeout?

February 6th, 2006.
John

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
Wow, Barker's Bargain Bar for two trips!  That setup was just evil, both bargain prices were close to each other and since Charleston is farther from Los Angeles than Denver is, it seemed to make sense to pick the former. 

Let 'em Roll's GP portion was actually kind of difficult, IMO.  The Phillips caplets were the hardest ones to figure out since the price could have been higher or lower than $7.20, to the average viewer.  It's a darn shame that Riley only got $1,000 in the end, after rolling four cars on the first try.

Were the scales in Balance Game a bit rusty or something?  They seemed to move slower than they usually do when they are moved by the Union 33 guy.

Secret X just wasn't going to be won today, IMO.  That lantern did not look pretty expensive and the shower docks are usually expensive.  When was the last time the host revealed where the secret X was after a wipeout?  The only instance I can think of was on the game's debut in 1977,  but there probably has been at least one other instance in the last 30 years.

I laughed at how Rich started to read the wrong copy for the refrigerator.  It kind of reminds me of Rod's "a barbecue and a new car!" slip-up from years back.  I loved how we saw Rich for the second time this season, the first time since December 25, 2007's show, and how he thought that would be edited out, but it wasn't and made for a great moment.  All of us in chat got a kick out of that and I said "there's the rogue piano!" when Drew showed Meshia what she had a chance to win.

It seems like forever since we saw Drew did "alakazam" for Squeeze Play, but it was great to see him use it and have a win result from it.

As Frank will tell us, after Lucky $even, One Away is the most deserving game to be played last.  Not only was it played last, but we got our first exacta in the Drew Carey era.  That is a great way to end the show.

I really got a kick at how Rich mentioned the second person visiting the First Bank of Price was a game show fan.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Bargain Bar: That was HARD!!!!!  I actually picked Denver, but it was a total guess.  I felt bad for Rebecca losing this----it could have gone either way.

Let Em Roll: UGH, I hate it when people get 4 cars on the first roll and still lose.  I was really pulling for Riley to win, but it just wasn't meant to be.  At least he still gets $1,000---better than nothing.

Balance Game: I thought alike like Michael.

Secret X: I have to agree with goldroadfanatic...I think Roger was pulling for a loss here.....the SPs were tricky!  Tough loss for Raymond.  The lantern looked cheap, but it wasnt.  The shower dock looked right with $43.  I have to admit, I would've wiped out too.

IUFB 5: Rich flubbing up the prize copy.....PRICELESS!  Hey Rich, this kind of mistake happens, don't worry!

Squeeze Play: I lost this---I took out the 8.  I'm glad Meshia won this one.

One Away: $20485 was my guess as well.

Showcases: I'm glad Raymond won his showcase to make up for the Secret X wipeout.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:44:57 PM by Richie »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Now now Rich...goofs are what make the show interesting, no way it was going to be edited out... XD

LeR was just painful, but X definitely should have been won - SPs ending in 0 are common in that game, and the X was in the middle where someone who only got 1/2 SPs would go for. OA, on the other hand, I knew it right away, the audience was like "...maybe?" and all of that. Yay. :P

B+
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
Barker's Bargain Bar: I thought the game started in 1980. Somebody's wrong.
Anyways, I just did not think Denver would be more than Charleston. Sucks that almost $13,000 worth of trips were lost.

Let 'em Roll: Ending up with $1,000 was not the worst way to lose the game, but still felt like a big bust.

One Bid 3: 998 after a 1000 bid? Okay.

Balance Game: I wanted to use the $2,000 and $3,000 bags. Maybe that could work for a sauna, but not for this spa.

One Bid 4: It sounded like Joy couldn't understand what was going on. I thought she heard "coffee" for the Tockey. Made me laugh a little. But she quickly got back to the swing of things.

Secret X: A little bit of irony: After the game, the local news did a promo about a teenage drinking report, showing a kid wearing a Syracuse shirt. It quickly made me think about Raymond saying that Syracuse was a party area. I'm betting that a) the kid was not Raymond nor a Syracuse student and b) none of this had anything to do with his performance in this game. I don't think I would've gotten two more Xs myself.

One Bid 5: All I can say that, like some of us, can easily recall Rod's "BBQ and car" mix-up. I did. I like how people in show business can talk about an error, saying this would be edited when it probably won't. The CC made an corrected edit of said moment.

Squeeze Play: Once again, I wanted to leave the 9 alone. My first instinct was to take the 4 out.

One Bid 6: I hoped Monica would bid 1302 with the last bid advantage on the previous One Bid. Just a little luck on this one, I guess.

One Away: Oh, how I get on my knees on pleadings like this one. I went a little wilder than Monica on this Exacta.

So far this episode alone was the best one this week for me.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »
Let me start by saying today's show was possibly my favorite show of the season.  A large part of it had to do with Rich's prize copy blunder.  With the noticeable edits the show has been doing this season, it would not have surprised me to see this part edited.  But, the inclusion of this mistake reminds me of the show I grew up with, which included these harmless mistakes.  We got to see the announcer on camera, Drew was in a great mood today, and I did enjoy the directing during Balance Game as John mentioned.  The show was a lot more casual than we've seen lately.  The wipeout in Secret X was countered with the exacta in One Away, and Drew's handling of the "sound effects" lady was a lot more relaxed and enjoyable as opposed to the "strict Drew" I have seen with this game.

I know it has been said before, but the interaction between Drew and Rich keeps getting better and more casual.  In his last seasons, Bob didn't really "recognize" the announcer as Drew does.  I can only hope it will be a matter of time before Rich gets a consistent camera shot before a calldown.  It would only be fitting for the level of banter between the two.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:48:11 PM »
Pretty fun show all around today if I do say so myself.

Bargain Bar: Evil with a capital E. I still can't believe Denver was the bigger bargain than Charleston.

Let 'Em Roll: Riley deserved much better than $1000. Probably the most depressing loss i've seen in this game.

I don't know why it is but I find wipeouts in Secret X to be hillarious.

IUFB#5: Classic stuff here. This was probably THE funniest moment we've seen on Price in several years. I loved how they got Rich's reaction on camera. Good stuff.

One Away: What a win to close out the pricing game portion of the show. One Away "exactas" are always exciting but even much moreso when OA is played last.

Excellent show today.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »
You know it's been a bad past couple of days when we can't even get a Let 'em Roll win with only one car needed in two rolls...

...or when we surprisingly can't even get one SP correct in Secret X...

...or when Rich screws up a prize description. That upright piano sure can hold a lot of food. :lol:

One Away made up for all that, though. It's always nice to see an exacta in that game.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Riley
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
I hate my local CBS station. Generally, they interrupt for things that could wait for the noon news,  and they spend too much time simply repeating what they've already said. But today, they actually did all of the weather updates during the commercials, with just a couple of exceptions. Now I can't yell at them anymore!  :-)

Missed Bargain Bar due to the weather, but that was the only game, so here I go....

How is it we can have someone get 1 or 2 cars on the first roll, and end up winning, but have 4 cars on the first roll, and no car won? Sheesh.

Er, I went with $2,000 and $3,000. Could I use the multiplying excuse?  ;-)

My local station cut out SCSD #1, but it doesn't look like anything happened anyway.

I was surprised Drew revealed where the X was today. I figured he'd just skip over it. I figured that shower thingy-thing was $30. Tough break.

I actually missed hearing Rich say "A new upright piano", so I thought it had been edited out. Glad to see it wasn't. A funny moment there, and glad Drew was able to play on it.

To me, $4895 was the only one that looked right in Squeeze Play.

I would have said $22,485 in One Away. That segment was pretty funny, with Drew getting all shook up about her not saying "O mighty sounds effect lady".

Just a random question: The only commercial break that my local station did not interrupt was the one between game 4 and 5. Is it likely that this is because it's for a local station break, or just because they didn't have any weather?

Offline res0xn12

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
Where was the One Away exacta when the guy needed it for the million ?

I think the Let'Em Roll Loss today should be classified as a Painful Loss, because he had 4 cars in the first roll and 2 additional rolls left.

A wipe-out of Secret X.  Who was expecting THAT today (not I).

Two trips so close on BBB (I smell Roger).

I laughed at Rich's boo-boo today.  I wonder how long it would be before it's on YouTube.... (This also reminds me of the "bar-b-que and new car" incident.)

Otherwise ... 3/5 today.

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
Real good show. Rich's screw up was hilarious. Interesting games.

The BBB setup was tricky, so as Secret X, and Balance Game and Squeeze Play are games which I think are usually tough. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised we came away with 3 wins today.

Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »
I laughed at Rich's boo-boo today.  I wonder how long it would be before it's on YouTube....

It already is on Youtube.  :lol:
Signatures are overrated.