Author Topic: More News  (Read 79451 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: More News
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »
We're only a few weeks into the season, and it's already been established that the opening was going to be changed at the first taping until Drew got wind of it and had it nixed.

The fact that it's been repeated a few times here without any sort of sourcing at all does not make it an "established" fact.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »
I can confirm that there was indeed a new opening for TPIR.  A friend of mine visited TPIR last week and told me that I was apart of that new opening.

Names changed to protect the innocent - CGJ
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:24:27 AM by ClockGameJohn »

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2008, 02:27:30 AM »
Jaimal, do you mean that it's actually being used in tapings now?

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2008, 02:46:48 AM »
Then, as now, big meetings happened, and some of them were to deal with "talent" (or lack thereof; see also, Davidson, Douglas).

Speaking of the Davidson version of Price - I never again want to see him hosting T.P.I.R.

C'mon, I can't be the only one who liked Davidson's hosting!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »
Before this spirals out of control any more than it already has, allow me to elaborate on jimlange's post:

I believe there are two topics being discussed and confused as one.  Yes, there was a new opening planned for Season 37.  I heard from those who were in the studio that the first taping of the season was rehearsed with the new opening.  Before the audience was let in, the opening was changed back to what we've known for 36+ years.  The only proof I can provide is just my word.

Now, as for a video opening, I've been informed by several audience members (many of whom shared the same confusion) that just prior to Rich's warmup, a highlight reel is now shown on the in studio monitors.  The light border is used on this video, so if you're not paying attention, you might think that the show is actually starting.  One audience member e-mailed to tell me he began clapping and waving when the video came on because he saw the light border and figured it was showtime!

Hopefully this clears things up.  :)

Oh, and we still don't know anything about the substance of this 'reported' meeting coming up, so please keep the speculation controlled.
John

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2008, 07:30:25 AM »
Army you're fortunate to have even been there in person once.  I've NEVER been there, and my single biggest regret will always be that I didn't get there while Bob was still hosting. 

Sadly it's the same way with me.

I'm not Drew's biggest fan, but it would be a HUGE mistake to get rid of him now. Give the guy a chance.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline AdStrommy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2008, 08:48:37 AM »
This community has a very short memory. Less than a month ago, we all had our panties in a bunch because someone threw something out there about changes coming. We all bit our nails and started dressing in all black because (insert dramatic voice here) the Price Is Right as we know it is dead. We anxiously waited by our computers for news the day tapings resumed for any news....to find that....it's all the same thing we're familiar with. This is like the Rainbow Connection..."somebody thought of that and someone believed it and look what it's done so far." Let's keep this in mind and wait for official word before we go berserk again.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »
Did they really?  We're only a few weeks into the season, and it's already been established that the opening was going to be changed at the first taping until Drew got wind of it and had it nixed.

Somewhere along the way, I missed something, Steve:  I've read several times about the new opening that was planned.  I've not read that Drew himself nixed it.  Does Drew seriously have enough authority as "just" the host to nix an opening that was produced and paid for and literally ready to go with just a couple of minutes' notice?  If he had such a problem with the idea, wouldn't he have nixed it at a rehearsal?  Wouldn't he have spoken up sooner?  Would he have really been allowed to throw a taping into a potential tailspin by re-revamping the start of the show just moments away from the start?

Or is it possible that someone is just assigning credit to Drew?

One other point for the general population:  the remarks that suggest Drew is some kind of champion for the long-time fans seem a bit ironic to me:  if Drew didn't really know much about the show before he got the job, and even had to be TALKED INTO taking the job, how has Drew suddenly become an "expert" on the way things have always been done and what the real long-term fans really want? 

It appears to me that Drew is suddenly being sainted as some kind of LF&T advocate and it just feels a bit premature.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pete1974

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:12 AM »
C'mon, I can't be the only one who liked Davidson's hosting!

You're not,

I liked him too, he reminded me of Ray Combs at times.  I just attributed and of his screw-ups to the fact that he was new. 

Who knows how much better he might've gotten if that stupid "bleepin-bloopin" O.J. TRIAL hadn't messed up the TV landscape for the syndicated market that year.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
I wouldn't chalk it up to his necessarily being an expert in all the legacy elements of the show, but it's no stretch of the imagination to think he might just be trying to preserve the status quo.  I know for a fact he trolls our boards here, and that he's not the only one on the staff (I can't name names per their request, but one staffer I spoke to quoted one of GoldenBulldog's recent posts word for word when I spoke to them day before yesterday, and before that Roger quoted some of my own posts as well).  Seeing how many of us are championing all things classic, it's not hard to imagine that Drew would try to be the voice of the viewers.  After all, at one point wasn't it said that Drew seemed to act like he was "along for the ride" right there with the contestants, instead of being totally in charge like Bob always was?
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
Somewhere along the way, I missed something, Steve:  I've read several times about the new opening that was planned.  I've not read that Drew himself nixed it.  Does Drew seriously have enough authority as "just" the host to nix an opening that was produced and paid for and literally ready to go with just a couple of minutes' notice?  If he had such a problem with the idea, wouldn't he have nixed it at a rehearsal?  Wouldn't he have spoken up sooner?  Would he have really been allowed to throw a taping into a potential tailspin by re-revamping the start of the show just moments away from the start?

Or is it possible that someone is just assigning credit to Drew?

I'm gonna add to this, by talking about the purple wheel. Throughout this thread, people have said that Drew vetoed the purple wheel.

However, since the beginning of the tapings of S37, all I heard about the wheel was "Drew mentionned on the air that the wheel looks horrible and that it will be changed". Did anyone confirmed that Drew actually went to Fremantle and tell them "Your wheel looks like ****, better change it back to black!" (or something along those lines...) ?

Or (no offense to anyone) is it just possible that we collectively bury our heads in the sand and will not admit that maybe, just maybe, Syd or Fremantle realised they made a mistake and cancelled those two changes (wheel and intro)?

Offline rangegame74

• Outside in Line
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
This community has a very short memory. Less than a month ago, we all had our panties in a bunch because someone threw something out there about changes coming. We all bit our nails and started dressing in all black because (insert dramatic voice here) the Price Is Right as we know it is dead. We anxiously waited by our computers for news the day tapings resumed for any news....to find that....it's all the same thing we're familiar with. This is like the Rainbow Connection..."somebody thought of that and someone believed it and look what it's done so far." Let's keep this in mind and wait for official word before we go berserk again.

True, but the point of this thread is that the changes we have all dreaded since Bob left may still be in the future. They may have just started out season 37 the "old" way until they could figure out the changes. Or change may not happen. Only time will tell...

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »
Have any of these changes happened NO, So relax and enjoy the show and be thankful that PRICE still exists.

I have news for everyone: THE PRICE IS RIGHT will be canceled someday!!!
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
Who knows how much better he might've gotten if that stupid "bleepin-bloopin" O.J. TRIAL hadn't messed up the TV landscape for the syndicated market that year.

I'm no tv expert, but did the OJ trial really affect the New Price is Right that much? I can't remember even one episode being preempted in my area. I understand that some people did like the show, and that's completely fine, but I think it is also fair to say that the overwhelming reason the show went off the air as quickly as it did is that viewers just didn't like it.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
You know it is quite funny when that audience member began clapping and waving when the video came on thinking it was showtime there.  :oldlol: