Author Topic: More News  (Read 79455 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: More News
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
My points exactly.

What I'm saying is while we don't have evidence to say for sure Drew Carey is or has been fired, and we won't likely know until tomorrow, we don't have any evidence to say he's safe either. As the sudden way Bob's retirement was announced shows, it is wholly possible for huge news to be made with absolutely no let-on.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »
...it is wholly possible for huge news to be made with absolutely no let-on.

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here, but...

If you accept that Bob's retirement was voluntary, that's different than if he was "urged" to retire.  That kind of change comes from the host himself, and as we've said, that was a change that everyone had had in the back of their minds for a while, and according to the staff had been quietly prepping for for several years.

Then again they DID yank TNPiR'94 midseason, so who knows what might happen.  Mid-season changes are rare though, and they're rare for a reason--they're bad for business and they run the risk of confusing viewers, which is the quickest way to lose them.

Well...second quickest.  Right after ticking them off.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline rob01234

• In the Audience
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
ok so lets just say drew IS fired mid season.  would it be effective immediately (i.e. finish out this week tapings and then ur done) or would he finish the season and then leave?
Never Forget: Superball!!!

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »
ok so lets just say drew IS fired mid season.  would it be effective immediately (i.e. finish out this week tapings and then ur done) or would he finish the season and then leave?

That would depend on the terms of the contract release he negotiates.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline rob01234

• In the Audience
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:22 PM »
ok then so lets say they negotiate that he is to leave mid season. who r they gonna find in such short notice to replace him?
Never Forget: Superball!!!

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:24 PM »
ok then so lets say they negotiate that he is to leave mid season. who r they gonna find in such short notice to replace him?

Presumably in that circumstance one of two things would happen:

1.  They'd show reruns for the remainder of the season.
2.  They'd borrow someone from elsewhere in Studio 33, more than likely (much as it pains me to say this) Davidson from across the hall since he already has experience with some of the games courtesy of TNPiR'94.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »
New Math?  ;^)

That was so unneccesary.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »

Either Todd Newton, with whom they can use a limited rotation of games he knows, or they can just wing it with John O'Hurley.

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »
Then again they DID yank TNPiR'94 midseason, so who knows what might happen.  Mid-season changes are rare though, and they're rare for a reason--they're bad for business and they run the risk of confusing viewers, which is the quickest way to lose them.

Well...second quickest.  Right after ticking them off.

Syndication has such a different udnerlying sctucture that you can't draw comparisons between what one syndication company did based on their business model and what could--in these rather wildly speculative scenarios--happen to the show now. 

It is true mid-season big changes are less common, though there can be cases where the start of a new year provides a logical cover for them (let me be clear, I don't believe some radical change is happening in January, just pointing out how such things can happen).    To an average viewer--and that's who matters, not us--it's not likely that the reception to a major change is going to be impacted by whether it happens in September, January or the Ides of March.  No one is going to be saying, gee, if they'd just done that back in September (or waited until next September), I'd have been cool with change X, but they did it in February so now I'm mad as heck and not going to watch ever again." 

Offline djryan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »
I'd think we'd be seeing heavy duty gossip going on in the mainstream if he were on the chopping block. Three is none, so quit worrying.

That don't mean anything.  Besides, I don't think the entertainment media would 'gossip' about someone's career ending like that...
COME ON DOWN!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »

I am not saying that I believe much of the banter going on here.  But how do you think Drew would react in the press if he were to be removed?  My feeling if that he would not go too quietly, and that this residual effect would be too much for these new powers to handle.  Simply put, I think there is little chance of Drew going anywhere.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
That don't mean anything.  Besides, I don't think the entertainment media would 'gossip' about someone's career ending like that...
You're right.  The entertainment media never speculates on bad things happening to celebrities, or turmoil on hit shows...

Offline TheKid965

• In the Audience
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2008, 11:47:48 PM »
Besides, I don't think the entertainment media would 'gossip' about someone's career ending like that...

Please tell me you're joking when you say this. 

Offline TheKid965

• In the Audience
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »
That was so unneccesary.

Perhaps.  No offense intended; I just couldn't resist.

No hard feelings, I hope?