Author Topic: Anyone have a video of...  (Read 3929 times)

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
Anyone have a video of...
« on: August 29, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
...one of the mid-show bumpers from the old days, "Some of the prizes on TPiR..." as seen before the first SCSDN?  I've scoured YouTube but I can't find one.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline rangegame74

• Outside in Line
Re: Anyone have a video of...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »
How old are you talking?
90s, 80s, 70s?

Are you talking about the "contestants not appearing on stage will receive" and/or "some members of out studio audience not appearing on stage will receive"

If so, temptation1979ga1, has plenty of SCSDs that show this. He has pretty much every moment of the show from the 90s and 00s.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
"Some members of our studio audience" would do it; I'm trying to get a look at the one from before the first SCSDNs.  "Contestants not appearing on stage" has historically been before SCSDN#2--or has it?

Preferably something from the early '90s.  I've seen a bunch of Tempty's vids through our Video Vault here but I haven't come across one yet.  I'll take another look though, thanks for the tip!

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
I think temptation's showcase showdown blunder should have what you are looking for I hope.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
Yup, that's it!  Thanks!

Just one question...hearing Rod's description, I have to ask:

What's a pecahn?

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »
It's a nut, isn't it?

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 02:16:12 AM »
The "Contestants not appearing on stage will receive..." plug is right before the 2nd SCSD of the day.  To the best of my knowledge, it's been there since the move to hour-long shows in the 70s.

If I'm reading it right, the original poster is asking about a separate "Some members of our studio audience will receive..." plug.  I believe this was a relatively short-lived plug that was played right before the 1st SCSD (not the mid-show bumper) for a while in the early 90s.

Temptation's Showcase Showdown Blunder clip in the Video Vault section features one of these plugs.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
I believe this was a relatively short-lived plug that was played right before the 1st SCSD (not the mid-show bumper) for a while in the early 90s.

As far as I can remember, that was used right up through the end of Season 27, when those plugs were discontinued.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
As far as I can remember, that was used right up through the end of Season 27, when those plugs were discontinued.

How come? Were those prizes given away in the same fashion as today's giveaways of the Box game and $100 are done?

Offline rangegame74

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
The "Contestants not appearing on stage will receive..." plug is right before the 2nd SCSD of the day.  To the best of my knowledge, it's been there since the move to hour-long shows in the 70s.

If I'm reading it right, the original poster is asking about a separate "Some members of our studio audience will receive..." plug.  I believe this was a relatively short-lived plug that was played right before the 1st SCSD (not the mid-show bumper) for a while in the early 90s.

Temptation's Showcase Showdown Blunder clip in the Video Vault section features one of these plugs.

Yes, in fact the format used today resembles the old 70s one more.

Check Part 7:
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=7924.0

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
Yes, in fact the format used today resembles the old 70s one more.

Check Part 7:
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=7924.0

Negative.  Never removed from the show, and not what Brandon was asking about.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »
...one of the mid-show bumpers from the old days, "Some of the prizes on TPiR..." as seen before the first SCSDN?  I've scoured YouTube but I can't find one.

On re-read, it sounds like you're talking about a slightly different plug than I thought.  This sounds like a plug for something like a Spiegel or Service Merchandise catalog.  Similarly done before SCSD #1 (not the mid-show bumper).

I think I've seen a clip of one like this for Service Merchandise, but I couldn't tell you where.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).