Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008  (Read 40119 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
As for the wheel moving on to 70...like it or not, there is precedent for how to handle it going on long after everyone thought it had finished moving, and that precedent supports what was done today.  (Not that I think anyone actually noticed it -- but fortunately, the precedent supports what the outcome is when no one notices.)

But the problem is the wheel didn't pass on to 70’ "long after everyone thought it had finished moving."  It came to a full stop on 70’.  Drew simply did not look to see how how slightly the pointer had passed the peg, which is unusual for him if you think about it considering not only how often he makes a big deal when the pointer stops against a peg near the dollar, but he made a deal out of the even bigger space Rodney had from the dollar on his first spin.

The Price is Right and Match Game are two completely different game shows.  Match Game works better when it's all played for a laugh.  And while The Price is Right is certainly not the stiff that Jeopardy! is, it's also not Match Game, and shouldn't be Match Game.

Frank is exactly right.  The Price Is Right is not Match Game and therefore should not be hosted in a manner that would be more appropriate to March Game, which is not what Drew was doing; and his entrance can hardly be compared to when Bob was not behind the doors in the "where is Susan?" incident.  There was a whole different context that made it funny for Bob to not be there.  Further, as far as we know, Bob only pulled that gag once.  Drew has been trying to come up with some sort of gag for every entrance now, and there's never any context to justify it or make it the least bit funny.

Nick said:
Uh, I've seen Pat Sajak do the same on "Wheel of Fortune" — celebrate excitedly with winning contestants. Why hold Drew to a different standard?  And while I'm thinking of it, pull out some of those old "Let's Make a Deal" tapes with Monty Hall. Did he dance around and act silly with exhuberant contestants? You betcha!

The way Drew Carey compared to any other game show host I've seen when it comes to celebrating with a contestant is Drew maintains absolutely no professionalism, behaving just as silly as the contestant, which does not look good (case in point:  jumping up and down with a contestant:  Drew does this constantly.  It really doesn't look good).  Pat Sajak, since he's being used as the comparison here, maintains more composure (but there's not much more I can really say on his part, as I actually think Pat has gotten worse as a game show host than what he used to be); and as far as Let's Make a Deal, it goes back to Match Game with the whole "different atmosphere" thing.  Even then, Monty maintained much more professionalism than Drew does when he celebrates over anything.  Showing a carefree spirit in celebrating with the contestant while still maintaining a level of professionalism is key.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2008, 09:37:57 AM »
Drew's entrance may have been off the goofy side, but I'll accept it.

Switcheroo: Beverly wasting a few seconds looking at the audience was just disturbing. I had a hunch that the lantern would be $50 and that was the only one I got.  :oops: Not-so-great playing.

MYM: Deborah hit it on the head. Very good.

Side: Another obvious choice thwarted by the goshdarn "Peanut Gallery".  :oldevil:

SCSD #1:"What belongs in Vegas, Stays in Vegas!!" :-P

OWP: It was really 50-50 between the sofa and the lawn mower and I rather not tell you which one I went with.  :roll:

Pass: $1K is better than nothing and Drew's reaction to it was just not needed to be expressed that way.

Pick #: $7500 was way to go, but Lauren went the wrong way.

Showcases: It's a relief not to hear those bloody recaps for once. I actually would've bidded $33K on the Chrysler showcase. :dsw: :dsw: :dsw: :dsw:

A 2.75-star show.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
This show was more tolerable than yesterday's, mainly because they didn't stick those corny lines before the descriptions of the IUFB's and the showcases actually had some theme that remained throughout them.  I also got a kick out of Drew's entrance and how he celebrated with Beverly and Lauren after the showcase showdowns.

I laughed at how Beverly kind of mauled Drew like a Samoan when she came on stage and when she saw the Mustang convertible.

Drew really needs to stop emphasizing the car in Switcheroo.  I know the car is the ideal prize to win, but knowing about the smaller prizes can really be invaluable in trying to win the car, since it eliminates the possibilities of the missing digit in that price.

I have no clue as to why Beverly was trying to play Switcheroo by just staring at the audience for a few seconds before actually placing the blocks.

There was some edit in the third bidding round, Drew didn't say "Susan, what do you bid?" when we could see his mouth moving.

It was pretty cool to see the two G-T asterisk clad backdrops placed next to each other to form the bed's backdrop.

Also, I find it interesting they lit up both the right price and the "sorry" lights in Side By Side instead of how they usually do it, lighting up the latter then the former.

The Vegas wheel reminds me of how the set of Emmons/Edwards version of Chain Reaction was such a scaled down and cheapened version of the Cullen-era one.  That wheel just looked so dinky, cheap, and the LED scoreboard was just awful.  The beeping just sounded off, also.

Is this the first time we have seen the telephone plug this season?

Well, Drew lets contestants Pass the Buck themselves again.  It's always great to see contestants get involved with some of the games.

I know that many won't agree with me here, but yay, Pick-a-Number!

I swear that I have that same kind of music score decoration that was above the jukebox in showcase #1 in my living room.

I loved how Drew and everyone else on stage sat in the dining room as the show faded to black.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
The way Drew Carey compared to any other game show host I've seen when it comes to celebrating with a contestant is Drew maintains absolutely no professionalism, behaving just as silly as the contestant, which does not look good (case in point:  jumping up and down with a contestant:  Drew does this constantly.  It really doesn't look good).  ...

I honestly think you're taking things too seriously here. So what if Drew acts silly, it's just a part of his personality. Not every host is going to be cut of the same cloth you know, some may be more of a free spirit, laid back type (Drew), and others might be more the serious type, it just depends on the person. Besides that, Price is more a party then it is a show anyway, so what's the big deal about it?

And besides if this type of stuff makes Drew less "professional" what does that say for Gene Rayburn? Was he not professional either when he would dance around?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:38:18 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Besides that, Price is more a party then it is a show anyway, so what's the big deal about it? 

I disagree. Yes Price has its humorous moments (and those moments are what makes the show great) but I would not go so far to say that it is a "party show." No if you want a "party show" look at "Let's Make a Deal" or "Match Game." Those were party shows.

As far as Drew goes, I don't mind him celebrating with contestants or his humor, but I do wish he'd show enthusiasm for the show all the time rather than in spots and do a better job handling/explaining the games.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
I disagree. Yes Price has its humorous moments (and those moments are what makes the show great) but I would not go so far to say that it is a "party show." No if you want a "party show" look at "Let's Make a Deal" or "Match Game." Those were party shows.

Point taken, those shows were not so much game based as humor and teasing based. Price of course is game/contestant driven, and anything that may come of said games and contestants makes it all the better. I was saying it's more a party, cause of the atmosphere of the studio, but I can see what you are saying.

As far as Drew goes, I don't mind him celebrating with contestants or his humor, but I do wish he'd show enthusiasm for the show all the time rather than in spots and do a better job handling/explaining the games.

I agree with this, he does seem to go through the motions sometimes. He needs to learn to speak more clearly (less mumbling) and bring the same energy from one segment to another. Bob did this well, and that is part of what made the show last as long as it has. If it's to last with Drew, he must learn to do as Bob did in that way.

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »

Ridiculous.  How could you say Price is "not a party show?"  This show has been a "party show" for a while now.  Heck, Bob used to even advertise it as a party when he did the ticket plug at times.  It sounds like you'd like the show to go back to a coat and tie atmosphere.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
The Price is Right is not even a "party show", it's just one big party. And that's how it's been for awhile.

Drew has been trying to come up with some sort of gag for every entrance now, and there's never any context to justify it or make it the least bit funny.

If he would do the same thing each time, I would have a problem with it. But the fact that he does something different every show, I'm fine it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:58:51 AM by Todd »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »
Everyone's points are well taken with Drew's current hosting style, but I have yet to see — for instance — him grope a contestant (a move that would probably get him fired); even Bob Barker did that once, and we all know Richard Dawson's track record on "Family Feud" during the 1970s and 1980s.

I'm tempted to start a thread — and I just might — on whom you would like to have seen host The Price is Right instead of Drew, given his current demeanor being roundly criticized by all.

Brian

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
Everyone's points are well taken with Drew's current hosting style, but I have yet to see — for instance — him grope a contestant (a move that would probably get him fired); even Bob Barker did that once, and we all know Richard Dawson's track record on "Family Feud" during the 1970s and 1980s.

What incident involving Bob are you referring to?

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
I'm tempted to start a thread — and I just might — on whom you would like to have seen host The Price is Right instead of Drew, given his current demeanor being roundly criticized by all.

Please no!  The only thing worse than that is the "Which game should get retired next" threads.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
It's been awhile since the clip has appeared on one of his flashback specials (I think it appeared on one of the 20th anniversary week shows from 1991); I think the clip said the show from which it was taken aired in 1973. But it was where Bob greeted a young woman on stage over by the Giant Price Tag, he interviewed her, and she wanted to get a kiss from him.

Bob more than obliged ... and the woman was thrilled! Though dignified, the female contestant reacted like she had won a big prize.

Brian

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
Kinda thought you were referring to that, just checking.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:41:00 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
Just finished watching this show.

Some thoughts:
Roo: Wow, two epic fails already this season. I couldn't decide if the car number was 2 or 3.
MYM: Easy. The right answer was really the only logical one.
SBS: I think it could've gone either way, but unfortunately, I think the audience cost her.
Vegas Wheel: Yuck. Awful. The numbers on the wheel were too big. The display on the right with their money amount I could barely see.
OWP: I would've had it. The other two just looked right.
Pass the Buck: At least she got something. But the buck on the ester-c one was screaming to go that way.
PAN: 7500 didn't seem that glaringly obvious to me, but I kinda had a feeling she'd lose.
Vegas Wheel again: Still bad.

Jukebox SC: Not sure how that is 19,000.
Car/San Fran: I knew that would break 30k.

I too am not sure why they had 3 quickies today. It's not like we had GR or 10C.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
Game #12 (#6,933)

Showcase #1
Dining Room - $8,711
Dance Lsssons - $1,320
Jukebox - $8,995

Showcase #2
TV - $776
Trip to San Francisco - $5,977
Chrysler 300 - $26,635

Total show prize value:  $126,076 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 7, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $116,759 (Sonia Vera, 2004)
Low:  $17,249 (Misty Atkinson, 2002)

Rachel Reynolds
October 7
Total dollars:  $42,401
($12,359 won, $30,042 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (3-5)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 9 shows
Total dollars:  $580,721