Author Topic: Giant green screen for trips  (Read 4872 times)

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
Giant green screen for trips
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
After seeing the way they present trips on the giant green screen, I have to ponder something: What were the producers thinking in getting rid of the old trip skins in favor of a giant green screen? If anyone knows, I'd sure like to know.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Giant green screen for trips
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
...What were the producers thinking...
I believe someone was at a taping when the skins were used, and Drew made a snide remark about them being "found at a garage sale".

I think we can 100% blame the skins on Drew.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
I think the green screens are OK so far.  Just so long as Colin Mochrie doesn't show up in front of one at some point trying to figure out what image is behind him. 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »
I think the green screens are OK so far.

So the fact that they can't frame the correctly or keep them from swaying while they're in use or just use them correctly in general doesn't bother you?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »
So the fact that they can't frame the correctly or keep them from swaying while they're in use or just use them correctly in general doesn't bother you?

I don't necessarily love it, but I have to say it's not as bad as I had envisioned beforehand.  I still much prefer the old trip skins.

Offline TalkingHeadsFan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:15:19 PM »
Does anybody think it's possible for PiR to use some sort of motion tracking technology with the green screens? Think back to the NBC Election Coverage how they put Ann Curry in a "virtual" room made completely out of green screens. The graphics and her virtual environment perspective changed depending on where the camera moved. This would allow them to zoom in and out on the green screens without the trippy effects. Would it also be too expensive?

P.S. NBC used a company call Pro Cyc (procyc.com) for the green screen room. You can check out the website or YouTube NBC's election coverage if you don't know what I'm talking about.

-Doug

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
Does anybody think it's possible for PiR to use some sort of motion tracking technology with the green screens? ...Would it also be too expensive?

I would say "yes."  There were plans to use a video wall, but a green screen was ultimately implemented for budgetary reasons.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »
I think we can 100% blame the skins on Drew.

Until we get such information confirmed, I don't think comments like this contribute to keeping facts straight.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:36:35 AM »
Until we get such information confirmed, I don't think comments like this contribute to keeping facts straight.

And to add onto that, he made those comments about small trip skins (such as those seen on Bargain Bar), which have not been replaced as of yet.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline TheHYPO

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:49 AM »
There is no reason the camera should be shaking on this or any other reveal as it did a few times last week. Even if it was a static trip painting, the camera still shouldn't be vibrating. I don't think it would be "too" expensive to do motion-capture photography to sync the image movement with the camera movement, but I would wager that for the benefit it would bring, it's not worth any cost. It's far cheaper to train the cameraperson NOT to shake the camera, or simply lock the camera down for greenscreen shots (which they should be in most games' prize reveals for trips - only showcases should occasionally have moving cameras during trip reveals, unless I'm forgetting some game with a dynamic camera prize shot...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »
only showcases should occasionally have moving cameras during trip reveals, unless I'm forgetting some game with a dynamic camera prize shot...

You'd be surprised...there used to be a ton of pans and zooms in trip reveals that they can't do anymore.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
The change I found most recognizable, at least compared to how Bart was directing last season: After the contestant reaction shot, Bart would cut to the trip skin with the model(s) waving/dancing/whatever, zooming the camera in on the model(s) and the skin and then fading to the air/hotel video.  With the green screen, that zoom is no more and we just get a wide shot of the screen with the model(s).

You'd be surprised...there used to be a ton of pans and zooms in trip reveals that they can't do anymore.

I feel the trip reveals are with the green screen are lacking for that very reason.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).