Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 242151 times)

Offline SamtheBravesFan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:25 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks something fishy happened on today's show?

No, you're probably not.  I'm more apt to believe Ted, to be honest.  That scenario is quite plausible (predictable prizes and a knowledgeable audience member giving the ultimate piece of advice) and within the rules of the game.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »
On a related note, "8.0" for Drew's hosting?  May I ask why Drew deserves such a high score in the hosting category for today?

Despite the fiasco at the end of the show, his hosting for the rest of the show was pretty good today in comparison to other days.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »
The more I watch the showcase reveal, the angrier and angrier I get at Drew.  Terry won the showcase fair and square - give the man his due.  If you can jump up and down like an ass at the most mundane of things, then why can't you show some emotion during arguably the most significant event in the show's history.

Then again, this is the man who screwed up Double Prices earlier in the season.  A trained monkey wouldn't have done that.  Him wheeling out the garbage can at the open was symbolic since he treats the show like garbage on a daily basis.

The show needs to be canceled or Drew needs to be fired immediately.  I can't take much more of this incompetent boob.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »
Bgamer, you really should read everyone else's posts in this thread.

On a related note, "8.0" for Drew's hosting?  May I ask why Drew deserves such a high score in the hosting category for today?

I'm sorry I didn't. It's a lot of pages to read and all I've seen was people blaming Drew for not being excited in the few pages before this. I'll be sure to do so though. Also I meant to put 7.0 instead of 8.0. Drew was decent but like I said, his entrance was terrible and I also didn't like how he went up to Sharon's face. I didn't factor in how he reacted to the showcase win since like I said before, I think something fishy happened (maybe I should have said that). I honestly don't think 1 point will matter in the overall (average) score though. It still should come out to 8.5 .

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
A tremendous day, a historic day on TPIR, but I'm disappointed in the lack of reaction from Drew in revealing the perfect bid. Even if he knew what was going to happen, he could at least act surprised or excited.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »
See I don't know...

If news comes out somehow about this episode to the same caliber as "21" than I honestly appreciate the way Drew acted. No one could say "Drew played it off". But yeah... don't know for sure if he still should have acted excited.

On the other hand though, aren't game shows these days kept an major eye on now ever since what happened with "21"? I know it was true in the case of 70's game shows since that was "the game show comeback" decade
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:02:08 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2008, 11:33:36 PM »
After reading more into the situation here, I guess I could understand it a little better.  Still, I think it was the most horrible, least exciting, and just downright flat-out bad hosting (or lack thereof) I've seen on the show.  I was absolutely clueless what was going on until they started flashing the DSW graphic and basically had to ask myself, "He just DSWed?"  Butwellifyoutalklikethisallthetimeeveryayonthejobpeoplearegoingtobeconfused.

Otherwise, besides that big anticlimatic situation at the end, the show was good.  Exciting contestants, exciting wins, gotta love the entire One Away segment, and getting models from the audience.  Are they trying to copy another show now? ;) 

Instead, I was left with a very bitter taste in my mouth.  Will I watch the trainwreck again tomorrow?  Absolutely. 

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »
From the CBS Price boards thread about today's show...

Go to the home of the aspies aka Golden Road dot net and read about Ted Slauson. He's the one who gave him the bid. Terry owes Ted a few bucks imho. There's a big pissing contest there about the whole thing, but the main part is this, Drew TOTALLY BLEW THE FUN OF IT! I mean, he was like "oh well big fn deal!", and I've seen at least 40 other people say the same today. I have always been one to tell people to stop the Drew bashing, but there was no excuse for what he did. He had a chance to make a big deal about it(and it was, though people would have said he was over the top of course), and his writing of the showcases might be it. I've watched the show since the age of 2 and am seriously considering not watching it anymore.

Wow...the guy is right on the nose about the show, but insults us at the same time. Frankly, I believe that some people think we're spies, or do too much research, or watch so much that we're liabilities to the show, or whatever...it's sad. People who watch each day and want to talk about it should be rewarded, instead of being called "spies" or being told that there's a "pissing contest" going on on our boards. I take loads of offense to this guy, whomever he is.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:04:35 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »
This is where I think the Drew bashing would have been inevitable. Like I said, if Drew did act excited and news came out that the contestant cheated somehow, people would be hating on Drew just like they are now since he would have played it off. But yeah this is going to be very interesting to see how this all turns out.

And I've been to many game show sites/forums and people do think the members here are crazy "spy-like" fans.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:04:55 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline drmusic_99

• In the Audience
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »
Okay, kids, I'm gonna be the person who disagrees with the majority opinion on this one.

First of all, Drew certainly did blow the ending. I'm sure his mind was frazzled by what was going on, but it's no excuse.

Secondly, Terry is not to be blamed.

HOWEVER...

All it will take is a few people like Ted to ruin the show. Seriously. What fun is watching a game show in which everyone wins?

When Mark Goodson created a show in which audience members helped the contestants, I'm sure he never dreamed there would be a day in which uberfans kept track of every single prize and its ARP, showed up in the audience repeatedly and shouted exact prices.

Ted, you expressed a desire to help Terry win. Well, they can't all win. If you get up on stage yourself with your encyclopedic knowledge of the prize catalogue, and win, fair enough. But your good intentions in helping other contestants really does have the potential to ruin the game. Especially if there are more like you, and I'm sure there are.

And I think the producers are aware of this now, and freaking out. Maybe they're overreacting by banishing G-R.net members to the boondocks. But I can't say as I blame them at this point.

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
Ted did nothing wrong and whoever helped him did nothing wrong.

I think it's a great concept to imply to the home audience that they should watch EVERYDAY so they can learn the prices of the prizes.  Because if they watch everyday and learn the prices, they too, can bid really good and win prizes, just like Ted did.

Ted (or his friend) was the best example of how watching everyday pays off!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:59:08 PM by Pushover72 »

Offline Otm Shank

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »
But your good intentions in helping other contestants really does have the potential to ruin the game.

And what if Ted accidentally carried a 1 and Terry overbid by $10 or $100. Bottom line is, Ted relied on advice (a trusted source, since he got 5 hundy in his One Bid) and benefited from it. Contestants have already leaned on "encyclopedic knowledge" of the show and admitted to it.

Offline PriceForever

« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »
I want to thank Drew for ruining the show with that horrible reveal.

Because you probably reacted on your personal feelings, you showed how unprofessional you are and how immature you are.

Drew has no business being a game show host...and I think this absolutely proves it!

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2008, 12:09:18 AM »
^ Would you still be upset at him if news came out somehow that the contestant cheated? Would you still have liked him to play it off instead of showing how he truly felt about it?\

But anyways this is just crazy right here. I honestly think this is enough to make the show get canceled.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:13:35 AM by Bgamer90 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:18 AM »
Okay, kids, I'm gonna be the person who disagrees with the majority opinion on this one. ...

(snip!)

... And I think the producers are aware of this now, and freaking out. Maybe they're overreacting by banishing G-R.net members to the boondocks. But I can't say as I blame them at this point.

You know what?  Ted did nothing wrong.

^ Would you still be upset at him if news came out somehow that the contestant cheated? Would you still have liked him to play it off instead of showing how he truly felt about it?\

You still haven't read the thread, have you?

MOD NOTE: Consecutive posts merged, and one humongous quote truncated. Two lines and no more, please! - JC
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:40:31 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.