Author Topic: I have to get this off of my chest...  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Ryanmo97

• Outside in Line
I have to get this off of my chest...
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
I don't care if I'm roasted for what I'm about to say but it has to be said....

I'm tired of hearing you all complain about Drew's hosting. I think Drew is doing a GREAT job hosting. I've thought for years that Drew would be a great host for TPiR and I'm glad that I was right.

I've re-watched yesterday's showcase three times and I think Drew handed the reveal very professionally. Sure he wasn't very enthusiastic when he gave the amount, but he held back a bit because I'm sure he wanted the focus to be on the contestant and not on him. When he faced the camera to do the wrap-up and goodbyes, he had a big smile on his face.

I think that everything that's happening now on TPiR is GREAT! Drew's brought new life to one of my favorite game shows. And I hope Drew is the host for many years to come!

Offline Michael

• In the Audience
Re: I have to get this off of my chest...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
I agree with you.  If he did everything the way Barker did, we'd be complaining about how he's copying him.  He's just doing what Combs did when he took over FF:  making the show his instead of being just like the previous host.  Newscasters, actors, other game show hosts/hostesses all do this when they succeed the previous person in said position.

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »
I agree. We're a rare breed around these parts, though.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »
Why shouldn't Drew be excited for a DSW?  Not necessarily jump up and down.  Drew seemed more excited in the One Away EXACTA than the Showcase EXACTA?

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:21 AM »

I've re-watched yesterday's showcase three times and I think Drew handed the reveal very professionally. Sure he wasn't very enthusiastic when he gave the amount, but he held back a bit because I'm sure he wanted the focus to be on the contestant and not on him. When he faced the camera to do the wrap-up and goodbyes, he had a big smile on his face.

Yeah right, then why was he so enthusiastic when David won the car in Any Number? Or why did he have a conniption when Tyler pulled off an improbable comeback in Lucky 7 a few weeks back. Drew handled the reveal yesterday poorly, he showed a lack of enthusiasm and a lack of caring. It certainly seemed he had the attitude of "let's get it over with."

I think that everything that's happening now on TPiR is GREAT! Drew's brought new life to one of my favorite game shows. And I hope Drew is the host for many years to come!

No he hasn't. He's sucked a lot of the life out of it with his bad comedy and lack of enthusiasm. The way things are going now he probably will not get the chance to host for many years to come.

Offline Drewfan2008

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »
I've re-watched yesterday's showcase three times and I think Drew handed the reveal very professionally. Sure he wasn't very enthusiastic when he gave the amount, but he held back a bit because I'm sure he wanted the focus to be on the contestant and not on him.

Your kidding, Right? Drew was not at all professional in his reveal. I agree that what happened shouldn't had happened and Terry should have played the game himself, but Drew still should have went out there and been excited. Even if he had to fake it, he should have been excited.

When he faced the camera to do the wrap-up and goodbyes, he had a big smile on his face.
That was a big smile? Looked more like a smirk to me.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
Drew is bad at reacting to something he already knows... during the pricing games when something comes up you get an honest reaction out of him (like in One Away for example) But when he gets told who wins the showcases ahead of time during the break he has trouble faking the excitement for the show. He's just not good at pretending i guess.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »

Sorry dude! You're entitled to your opinion! But when I read your post, I just get the feeling that you're trying to find a reason to think that Drew is the best.

Believe me, I would so like to be able to say that Drew is the best at what he does. I always liked Drew on every show or events he participated in. I really want him to be the TPIR host we want him to be. I didn't mind the bad showcases, the weird entrances, Rich getting pied, and the Fried Chicken thing. But what happened yesterday showed a total lack of professionalism.

I've been a baseball PA Announcer for 10 years. The team I announce for has seen a lot of great moments. 4 championships (two of them won at home), 1 incredible extra-inning win that pushed the final to the 7th game, 2 no hitters, 1 perfect game. When those games took place, I made sure to give my all when announcing, to get the crowd going, and wanting to come back the next game/year. Announcing it very matter of factly like Drew did yesterday was not an option, because this is a historic moment, one that you want everyone to remember. Drew certainly "epic-failed" at that! We're gonna remember this show more for Drew's lack of professionalism than for the exacta!

Drew is bad at reacting to something he already knows... during the pricing games when something comes up you get an honest reaction out of him (like in One Away for example) But when he gets told who wins the showcases ahead of time during the break he has trouble faking the excitement for the show. He's just not good at pretending i guess.

You know, I think this is the best explanation to what happened yesterday that I've seen so far!

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »

This.

Honestly I don't know why some are overlooking the fact that he knew about what had happened before reading the price.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
This.

Honestly I don't know why some are overlooking the fact that he knew about what had happened before reading the price.

We're not.  Frankly, "some" don't know why "others" can't see that we're not overlooking such a fact. 

We just expect him to be able to take that information and still make the outcome seem exciting.  Do you honestly believe that there weren't times Barker knew the outcome in advance, yet still managed to "milk the moment" to build it up?

It's what a host is supposed to do.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
We're not.  Frankly, "some" don't know why "others" can't see that we're not overlooking such a fact. 

We just expect him to be able to take that information and still make the outcome seem exciting.  Do you honestly believe that there weren't times Barker knew the outcome in advance, yet still managed to "milk the moment" to build it up?

It's what a host is supposed to do.

You see (like I said before).. I'm indifferent. I hate phony people and even though being phony sometimes is I guess part of being a host, I don't mind the way Drew acted since I knew something was up with the episode. I'm not putting all who are disappointed in Drew's reaction into account. I'm just saying that it seems some people aren't taking it into consideration when they say things like "He was excited this season with Taylor's famous Lucky $even win... why wasn't he excited here?".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:09:42 PM by Bgamer90 »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
I'm not overlooking it at all...I'm just wondering why that fact should be at all relevant.  I mean, regardless of whether or not he knows, we don't, and he needs to convey to all of us exactly what's going on. 

It's a pretty staggering disconnect if he acts like we're supposed to be knowing something which we clearly aren't.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »
I understand that... and now reading at the reactions of average viewers (on TMZ.com) I wish he would have acted more excited (though like I've said before, I was indifferent to whether or not he should have acted excited after seeing the show for the first time).

Offline supergoten

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
I think Drew would have been more excited if he was actually surprised about the results, but instead wasn't there a long break before they announced the results? I'm sure there were some talks about how this exacta happened, which probably took the fun out of it for him.

He could have been more excited even though he knew, like the Bob Barker reveals but I would rather have Drew be himself than try to imitate someone else. But I guess that's just me.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »
^Exactly how I feel.