Author Topic: Field of 64 Pricing Games- Week 1 - Season Premiere!  (Read 12617 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Field of 64 Pricing Games- Week 1 - Season Premiere!
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
Hi gang.  Welcome to this opening episode of the Field of 64 Pricing Games!  The brackets are set and ready to go, and I hope you'll check in every Sunday when I reveal two match-ups from the brackets.  The competition will continue through the spring, when one pricing game will be crowned your favorite.

For the first 4 weeks, we'll be traveling through the Barker Bracket.  

This week's first match-up features these two games (listed with their seeds)....

#1 THREE STRIKES

vs

#16 DOUBLE PRICES

And in the second match-up this week we have...

#8 DANGER PRICE

vs

#9 MASTER KEY

To vote on the games, please do the following...

1. Give a sentence or two comparing the two games. Which game do you prefer and why?

2. Then, give a score to the match-up using my 11-point must system. It works like this: give a final score to the "game", but the score must add up to 11. So, if you think one game is worlds better than the other, you can give a final score of 11-0. If you think the games are real close in preference, give a score of 6-5. Other possible scores are 10-1, 9-2, 8-3, and 7-4. At the end of the match-up, the game with the higher average score will advance.

3. If you don't adhere to the 11-point system, your vote will not count.

4.  Voting each week will end on Thursday at 5pm.  Winners will be announced later that night, or on Friday.

To get things going, I will give my votes first...

Well, the first game seems pretty easy.  Double Prices is a classic, and is a no-frills way to tests a contestant's knowledge of prices.  BUT 3 Strikes provides real drama, both with the large prize usually offered, and in the great gameplay.  3-Strikes wins 10-1.

The second game is much trickier.  Master Key could be one of the weaker car games on the show, but I like the small prize game.  I have always been a Danger Price fan, as it can be dramatic, though I enjoyed the old pirate motif better.  In the end, Danger Price wins 6-5.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Field of 64- Week 1 - Season Premiere!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »
Double Prices is a classic and allows more time-consuming games to be played.  3 Strikes, however, has a lot more suspense, offers expensive cars like Cadillacs and Lincolns, a cool set, and takes a long time to play.

In the end, 3 Strikes wins 10-1

Master Key is a great car game.  The SP portion is unique and the set is awesome with the keys and locks; it is mostly luck-based.  Danger Price is a classic and it has a great gameplay of picking the three prizes that do not have the danger price and you win.  It's set is way-cool with the huge octagonal set pieces.

This is tough but in the end, Danger Price wins 7-4.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games- Week 1 - Season Premiere!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
Double Prices v 3 Strikes-ah classic quickie vs. classic car game. Yes, DP is a necessary quickie, which allows for games such as 'Strikes to be played. . 3 Strikes-nothing like the suspense when it comes down to 1 number and 1 strike.This matchup is easy to decide.

3 Strikes wins 11-0.

Master Key v. Danger Price. Both are good games. I love the set with Master Key-the locks and everything. However, if the contestant wins both keys during the SP portion, they are not necessarily guaranteed the car-so MK is luck based in that way. Danger Price-ah, a true classic. Great 4 prizer, love the set with the octagon though I do miss the old stop sign set with the Skull and Crossbones, gameplay is simple-pick out the 3 prizes that are not the danger price and win.Simplicity at its best. This matchup is a tough call, but...

Danger Price wins it
8-3.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
Too bad for Double Prices; 3 Strikes has a cool huge prop, dramatic game play, and a huge prize. The utterly utilitarian Double Prices does not. 3 Strikes wins 9-2.

Master Key is not one of my favorite SP/C games and in a way it's a progenitor of Let 'em Roll and other pricing-light car games. But it does involve cool props that give it a cool back-end game. Danger Price has a nice set but a very boring game; the presentation is really all there is. So who wins when two games with cool props are matched up? The one with the more exciting gameplay...Master Key 7-4.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
Double Prices is a super-quickie that allows longer games to play. No fuss, no muss.

3 Strikes is one of the more suspenseful games on the show, and is played for high ticket cars. LOVE the huge set with the big green lights!

Poor Double Prices. Doesn't stand a chance.

3 Strikes 10-1

Danger Prices has, in my opinion, the best set upgrade ever done on the show! Love the octagon motif! It also has a simple premise (DO NOT pick the Danger Price), cool set, and a mean nasty horn if you lose!

Master Key does have a way cool set, but after the small prize portion it's pure luck. An even the small prize game is kinda weak.

Not as close as some people would think.

Danger Price 8-3
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »
Double Prices is a game that gives you a 50/50 chance of winning, but 3 Strikes is an unpredictable game, making it more enjoyable to watch.

3 Strikes wins 9-2

Danger Price offers a way cool set and a fun way to play for four prizes. Master Key is different. You may earn 2 keys but that doesnt mean you win the car. You could pick the worthless key and the one for the least expensive prize.

Danger Price wins 8-3

Offline timay789

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »
Definately have to give credit to Double Prices for being one of the "First Five" and for allowing games like 3 Strikes to be played. Three Strikes is just so cool, the monstrous size of the set and the high priced cars it is played for give it a no contest win over DP

Three Strikes 9-2

I like both Master Key and Danger Price. Master Key is the only game played both on the turntable and center stage currently and Danger Price has a great set and with a pretty simple concept. I do miss the skull with the eye patch though

Danger Price 6-5

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
Whle Double Prices is an old classic, it definately lacks in suspence. Fast game with no real excitement.. Three Strikes however, quite the opposite.  Can sometimes be long, which to me makes it more fun.. Three Strikes wins 10-1

Danger Price is ok I guess, pick three out of 4 incorrect prices to win, not much fun to me... Don't like the stopsign board too much either.. Master Key in comparison has key props and the locks which make it cool and if you win 2 keys you are guaranteed to win something, so Master Key wins it 9-2

Offline Forrest20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
Three Strikes vs. Double Prices

Double Prices is a classic, one of the original five.  Even though it is boring, its short and allows longer games like Strikes to be played.  On the other hand, Three Strikes is a great game, exciting, always played for an expensive car, and very impressive visually!  If not for the luck element of Three Strikes, it would be a clean sweep.  Even so, Strikes wins 10-1.

Danger Price vs. Master Key

Danger Price is a cool game, the impressive setup along with unique gameplay makes it one of my favorite four prize games.  Master Key is an ok game, Bob has had some of his funnier moments in this game over the years.  However, it is my least favorite of the SP/car games.  Not that its necessarily a bad game, but I just like all of the other SP/car games better.  Danger Price wins 8-3.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »
Some of you might argue with me, but Double Prices is the "Senior Pricing Game" of pricing games, with its roots dating back to 1972.  This game is an unbeatable classic.  Three Strikes on the other hand has the most suspense of 'em all.  This is a game played for not just ANY car, but a pretty doggone expensive car to boot!  However, there has just been too many wins in this game for the past several years.

This calls for a Major-League Upset Special:  Double Prices wins in a shocker 6-5

Danger Price is played for mostly "El Cheapo" type prizes, but the set is pretty snazzy.  Master Key takes the win because this game is pretty quirky, but all in all, fun to watch--expecially if it's played for a Lincoln on an MDS!

Final Score:  8-3 in favor of Master Key
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »

GoldenBulldog wrote:
Some of you might argue with me, but Double Prices is the "Senior Pricing Game" of pricing games, with its roots dating back to 1972.  This game is an unbeatable classic.  Three Strikes on the other hand has the most suspense of 'em all.  This is a game played for not just ANY car, but a pretty doggone expensive car to boot!  However, there has just been too many wins in this game for the past several years.

This calls for a Major-League Upset Special:  Double Prices wins in a shocker 6-5

Sigh. Ya know Bulldog, sometimes I wonder if you make these posts for the sole purpose of drawing attention to yourself. Even when you are clearly WRONG!

Here's 3 Strikes record from Season 31 to Season 34:

Season 31: 3-5
Season 32: 1-6
Season 33: 4-4
Season 34: 3-4

Total four year record: 11-19

Hmmm, looks to me that this game hasn't had a winning record in the last four seasons! What do you want, the game to be only won once or twice a year?! Next time, do some research before you make a statement like that!

If you want Double Prices to win, fine. But you should give a real reason why instead of a made-up one so you'll be different from everybody else!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 06:59:43 PM »
3K vs. DP:  Is there even a battle here?  Three strikes is a lot of fun to watch and often quite dramatic.  Double is necessary but boring.  3K 10-1.

MK vs. DP (the other one):  Master is one of my favorite games, though I don't like the fact that perfect pricing only gives a 70% chance of winning the car.  I like the concept of Danger, the cool octagonal shapes, and the simple use of colors; I just don't like it quite as much as Master Key.  Master 7-4.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 07:18:52 PM »
Double Prices has the claim of being played on the very first show, been played nearly everywhere on stage, has had probably the most set changes, and can practically be played for any prize.  3 Strikes, however, has been played for cars only, and it has been played center-stage only.  And the cars it plays for are some of the most expensive cars offered on the show.  I would much rather watch the rare 3 Strikes with all the suspense than a too common Double Prices quickie.  3 Strikes wins 10-1.

Danger Price is kind of cool; you get to play for four prizes.  Master Key, you get to play for three prizes (which includes a car!).  However, even if you play the SP portion correctly, you could still only wind up winning the least expensive prize.  This is tough, but I will say Danger Price wins 7-4.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 07:30:36 PM »
3 STRIKES VS. DOUBLE PRICES

BEGIN BATTLE

3 Strikes has the majestic game set.  Its gameplay of drawing chips to price the car with is extremely suspenseful, time consuming, and also fully luck-based (minus the cheating incident).  But its payoff is an expensive car, and when it gets down to the wire of a full count, that elevates it to a whole new level of euphoria or disappointment.  Double Prices... pick price, push button, win or loss.  The show must carry on with this game, so you can see something as grand as 3 Strikes get played.  

*3 Strikes wins 10-1*

MASTER KEY VS. DANGER PRICE

BEGIN BATTLE

This is going to be tough.  Master Key is also fairly luck-based in regards to picking keys to unlock the prizes, but you are guaranteed some sort of prize if you win the two SPs.  Also, its set is split into two parts, and the huge scale locks and keys are very fantastic.  Very snazzy.  Danger Price also benefits from having a very cool set, and its uses of red octagons is fitting and accomodating to the game's rules, which are simple to understand.  Perfect pricing here will guarantee you a win, unlike Master Key, where you may win up to the second prize and stop short of the car.  However, it's not fun when the contestant blows Danger Price by picking the... well, danger price on his/her first try.  

*Master Key wins 6-5*  Cars and keys are just more fun to me.

Offline chnlsrfr4

• 6/15/2004
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »
Three Strikes vs. Double Prices: Really no contest here. While I probably don't mind Double as much as most people do, Three Strikes has always been a favorite of mine. Anything where you can win a huge prize is always awesome.

Three Strikes 9-2

Danger Price vs. Master Key: This ones much tougher. I don't really love or hate either of these games. But Master Key has that random element that I tend not to like, so I'll give it to Danger.

Danger Price 6-5