Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/13/2012  (Read 15416 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 4/13/2012
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - 4/13/2012

Episode #5945K (Publisher's Clearing House Plinko Week, 5)
Aired: 4/13/2012; Tape Date 3/21/2012
Models: Rachel Reynolds, Amber Lancaster, Manuela Arbelaez
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: 14pc body set (Kai; ARP: $620) (Amber)

PATRICK REBECCA KATE KAITLYNN PATRICIA WINNER
$250 $1050 $699 $700 PATRICK

Patrick, from Maryland, is playing Squeeze Play for a trip to Hawaii. (RT coach LA to Honolulu, 6n Turtle Bay Resort, rental car, horseback island) (Manuela)

DISPLAY 8 0 9 4 1
CHOICE (removed) $ 8 0 4 1
ARP: $8,941 LOSS

Second IUFB: His-and-hers sunglasses (ARP: $765) (overhead platform)

PEARL Rebecca Kate Kaitlynn Patricia WINNER
$625 $675 $800 $850 REBECCA KATE

Rebecca Kate, originally from New York, is playing 5 Price Tags for a Kia Soul Plus. (2.0l engine, AT, CFM) (Amber)

ITEM DISPLAY GUESS ARP
Pizza Dome oven (Manuela) $110 FALSE $110
TRUE
Pouch (Burberry) (Amber) $95 FALSE $95
TRUE
220w hand mixer (Cuisinart) (Manuela) $79 FALSE $50
FALSE
Set of 6 CF bulbs (Amber) $63 FALSE $63
TRUE

Ouch. Rebecca Kate ended up with just one tag.

TAGS (Rachel)
(choice bold)
CORRECT?
$21,899 NO
$19,390 NO
LOSS
$22,652 NO
$18,145

WIN

$20,775

NO

Third IUFB: 5pc dining set (ARP: $1,496) (Manuela)

Pearl STEPHEN Kaitlynn Patricia WINNER
$825 $475 $999 $1000 PATRICIA

Patricia, mistress of the smeghead gambit, is playing Magic #.

Cookware set (Le Creuset) (Rachel)
ARP: $960
GUESS:
$1,771
*WIN*

The Kitchen of Doom (stainless steel; 30" gas range, 25.4 cu.ft. refrigerator, dishwasher) (Amber)
ARP: $3,810

Total ARP: *$4,770*

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Patrick $620 45 55 *$1,000!*
Rebecca Kate $815 75 75 OVER
Patricia $6,266 30 25 55

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Patrick $1,620 90 *SHOWCASE*

He pulled it around four times, and was so close... Drew pulled it across to 5 for the heck of it.

Fourth IUFB: Designer crap (Gucci; ARP: $2,320) (Rachel)

Pearl Stephen Kaitlynn FRANCES WINNER
$1800 $900 $1499 $1200 PEARL

Pearl is playing Line em Up for a Ford Focus S sedan. (2.0l engine, AT, TPM, RKE, PFP) (Rachel)

FIRST CAR DIGIT     1    
Paddleboard (Ocean Kayak) (Manuela)     9 8 5
Set of 4 prep bowls (KitchenAid)   1 9    
Grill (Fuego Element 01) (Amber)   6 4 9  
LAST CAR DIGIT     3    

Result: 1 Right

FIRST CAR DIGIT     1    
Paddleboard (Ocean Kayak) (Manuela)   9 8 5  
Set of 4 prep bowls (KitchenAid)     1 9  
Grill (Fuego Element 01) (Amber)   6 4 9  
LAST CAR DIGIT     3    

Result: 1 Right LOSS (ARP: $19,163)

Fifth IUFB: 5.1 home theatre system (ARP: $2,098) (Amber)

RYAN Stephen Kaitlynn Frances WINNER
$1150 $900 $1250 $1700 FRANCES

Frances, from Texas, is playing Coming or Going for a home gym (Inspire Smith Cage System) + 40" 3D LED-LCD HDTV (Samsung) (Manuela)

6 4 9 4
ARP: $6,494
*WIN*

Aw jeez, not this doop again. At least Kaitlynn has another shot at the final guess to avoid the mugshot machine.

Sixth IUFB: Pair of tablet computers (16GB each; ARP: $1,000) (Rachel and Amber)

Ryan Stephen Kaitlynn ROSEMARY WINNER
$1500 $950 $1501 $700 STEPHEN

Kaitlynn heads over to get her mugshot taken, while Stephen is playing Plinko! (Manuela and Amber)

ITEM DISPLAY DIGIT CHOSEN ARP CHIP VALUE
Grill set 62 6 $42 WRONG
Knife sharpener 16 1 $18 $0
Guitar T-shirt 34 4 $30 WRONG
Touch-free soap dispenser 54 4 $52 WRONG
FREE CHIP VALUE: $0
TOTAL WON: $18
LOSS

Since not all the PCH prize money was won, they will add $25,000 to the winner of the showcase today. Don't go over...

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Stephen $1,018 75 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Pearl $2,230 50 20 70
Frances $8,592 50 15 65

SHOWCASE ROUND
Patrick has the honor...

SC1 - STEPHEN YOU CALL THAT FAST? CAR
BID: $22,000 Computer (Dell; 18GB RAM, 2TB HDD) (Rachel)
Photo booth (Amber)
Volkswagen GT-i hatchback (2.0l TT engine, 6MT) (Manuela)
ARP: $33,343
DIFF: $11,343
*WIN* $59,361
SC2 - PATRICK WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE TRIPS
BID: $18,000 Cabo San Lucas (RT coach LA to Cabo, 6n jr. suite Pueblo Bonito Rosé Resort & Spa, swim with dolphins)
Borneo (RT coach LA to Borneo, 5n all-inclusive rainforest lodge)
Australia (RT coach LA to Sydney, 6n hotel, animal park trip)
ARP: $29,488
DIFF: $11,488
OUCH! $1,620

Show Results: 2 out of 6
Total Winnings: $78,884

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:05:51 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/13/2012
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
I know some will think this has happened already, but I think it is extremely feasible that we’ll look back at this week, and this one, #5945K, in particular, as the day/week The Price is Right jumped the shark.

I mean… what else can I say, the entire week was one of the worst ever in some aspects. The setups didn’t change at all – in fact, it seemed extra hard at times – including culminating in a moronic all-starts with Plinko. It’s not like 80k wasn’t going to be on the line today anyways, so why the hell did this happen? Additionally, there needed to be some control to stop him from putting the chip down while Rachel put the sticker on. They barely got a straight-on actual shot of the thing by the time it hit 0. It was just plainly dumb – you bother to fricking spoil the thing earlier on in the show (spoiling a game is coming when it’s last? What the HELL), so at least make the most important moment go fricking right!

And then they had the gall to try to “salvage” PCH bonuses by completely compromising the rules again… random PCH people + pity cash = NO ONE CARES.

Bottom line: this week was set up to be one of the worse weeks of the season anyways, nothing changed. You can’t insert high-stakes Plinko and expect the week to glorify, even if a couple more of those bonuses were won. This week is a clear example of how one game does not make the show, something I doubt Mike understands.

The SC management is starting to become more of a budget problem than the designer crap. What Mike should be doing is spraying some more cheapos – yes, 17xxx would still be acceptable you moron – and saving up to allow maybe 3-4 wins a week. All this sexed up crap the past couple weeks, today aside (had to avoid the DOB on a 25k bonus, har har har!!), tells me Mike is overvaluing the SCs and undervaluing the PGs when it comes to ratings.

The best hope, really, is that they realize what a dud this was and don’t try anything like it again. But I bet we get a version 2.0 next season anyways, because they’ll say “the luck must go better this time, and the ratings are getting worse!” … while screwing over the other 25 PGs.

If the ratings are really that bad, then they’re not going to improve until they learn to set everything up right down the middle (that would mean retiring Rent, of course), then ADJUST as the season goes on and tweak SCs, a couple PGs and stay on a budget. Don’t put prizes you’re hoping to get rejected on purpose for “free wins”, either. I don’t know if the lack of sponsored prizes makes this impossible, but any type of improvement – setting up for mid-40s% even – is the only way you’re going to establish an upward trend. Believe it or not, Mike, even the young demographic is not going to respond well to 35-40% seasons (or, god forbid, worse ones).
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
I know it's happened before, but I was a little surprised that two small prize games were played today. What I really don't understand though is why the decision was made to start the show with Drew revealing that Plinko would be played today for $80,000 and then keep George's standard $50,000 announcement just before gameplay. And then... Drew again brought up the $80,000 possibility even before the first small prize is shown.

Given what Drew had said at the show's beginning, I would have had George say "for a chance to win over $80,000!!" [with emphasis]. This apparent inconsistency at the end of a special week of shows bothered me. 

Apart from that, however, I liked the way Drew stood back at the end of the showcase round, read the differences between the bids and the actual retail prices, and pointed out the winner. Reminded me of what Bob used to do. :)

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
Lineup:
1. Squeeze Play L
2. 5 Price Tags L
3. Magic Number W
4. Line Em Up L
5. Coming or Going W
6. Plinko L
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
random PCH people + pity cash = NO ONE CARES.

...Tell that to the person who won their Showcase.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
The whole week was nothing more than a big fat gimmick, and mostly due to Mike buttering up Plinko with PCH. Seems to me he has a severe case of AFTTF (Adding Fuel To The Fire). While Monday was okay when someone won 20 grand, Mike must be very delusional into thinking that lightning would strike twice...............Or 4 times, when he keep adding 20,000 thousand more dollars on the center slot.

Today was nothing more than a downright disappointment for Stephen, when he fall victim to Plinko, winning zero, zilch, nada, $0...........Which makes this the second person this season to have a Plinko Stinko.  :'( I wasn't expecting that to happen, but I did expect that Stephen wouldn't get that $80,000 slot. At least he did a car showcase, although, it's a little bit of a pattern for those who win car showcases, since Manuela presented the car this week.............But I'm sure that's a coincidence. Or is it?

Even though Magic # and CoG was won, 5PT was a letdown for me.......A Kia Soul is practical and inexpensive, so it was obvious to me that the correct price was $18,145. Too bad the contestant wasn't aware of that.

Wayoshi was right when he said that Mike jumped the shark this week, and I hope he doesn't try to do this again next season. It was nothing more than a total waste for trying present Plinko all week and upping the ante. If he wants to get more ratings, he should've been a lot smarter about it, instead of trying to get everybody's hopes up, only to knock them down. Here's hoping that next week is a lot better than this suckfest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:27:24 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
So OK, Adam, thank you for playing FPG with us and giving us a mindbending crazy lineup. Here's to more of those. That's one positive thing that happened...

You know, I have to echo the assessments that this was a true "jump the shark" week. Plinko just really completely failed in execution today. So OK, they announce it at the top of the show, AND again after OB4, so they have people staying tuned in until the 6th game to see it, they hope. And then we get there and we have the hardest Plinko SP setup of the season, set up for 3 chips at most. Then, go figure, he gets 2 and it turns into a complete stinko, something which I doubt they wanted anyone to see. Plinko being an absolute $0 today was just totally symbolic of all the problems going on at the show - build up something huge, and then have it turn into completely nothing, and they think it's a good show. And then to make things even worse, we have the inconsistency problems others mentioned ($50,000, not waiting to drop the chip, and the worst idea of all - having a free $25,000 giveaway in the showcase in hopes that will make things better.) I'm sure Steven appreciates it, but I doubt the $25,000 in the showcase will make people forget the total stinko, something which should really never be happening ever and already has happened twice this season.

And it just seems like the show is trying so hard and going out of its way to serve so many different masters right now. Throw golden-road.net a couple bones with Bargain Game and a crazy Friday lineup. In the meantime, let's get so desperate for people to watch we have to play Plinko 5 days in a row, and when that's a bust, get so desperate for something positive to happen we tack a bonus onto the showcase. Throw in Daniel Goddard's random appearances, random guests, this was just a complete mess of a week. And a complete mess of a week which went 9-21 in the pricing games to boot (and somehow had only ONE center slot hit in five Plinko playings - that's just uncontrollable bad luck.) If they could just focus more on making the pricing games better viewing material, they wouldn't have to worry about focusing on all these things at once - they would be pleasing everyone and getting people to tune in in a much more natural way. Just keep it simple, stupid.

Timings:
Squeeze Play (3.5) - 3:13
5 Price Tags (5.5) - 5:20
Magic # (4.5) - 3:30
Line 'em Up (5.5) - 4:59
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 2:50
Plinko (5.5) - 4:37
Total (28): 24:29

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
And then they had the gall to try to “salvage” PCH bonuses by completely compromising the rules again… random PCH people + pity cash = SOME PEOPLE ON THIS WEBSITE DO NOT CARES.

Fixed that for you.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
No one could seriously be endorsing that desperation move to get the dumb PCH people back out. Anyone who is has really been suckered.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
I don't know what it is about contestants and the lights along the stage's edge lately.  Patrick is the second contestant this week alone to push a light bulb out of its socket while coming on stage.  Somehow, the light bulb didn't break again.

5 Price Tags on a Plinko day?!  Are you ****ing kidding me?! *tears up FPG list*

3 TRUE/1 FALSE aside, there was really no excuse for 5PT to be lost today.  It's a Kia.  Kia = cheap.  Even if you get only one pick, pick the lowest price available for a Kia.  Even though Rebecca Kaye lost by picking $19K, I'm glad she didn't listen to the audience.  Most of the audience members were calling $21K.

Yay!  Contestants are finally figuring out Magic #!  I still don't have hope for Cover Up, though.

I'll repeat what I said on Facebook this morning:  Plinko Clearing House Gimmick Week was "a ****ing waste of my time".  Hopefully, Mike has gotten the clue never to do anything like this again.

My showcase bids:
Car--$27,107
Tripcase--$25,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
While I gave this week a fair  shot, I was afraid it was going to stink.  And unfortunately, I was right.  The presentation was sloppy, and some setups were just evil.  While the shark hasn't been jumped yet, the motorboat is certainly being warmed up.  If a similar brain fart is produced next season with the same results, then consider the shark jumped.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
No one could seriously be endorsing that desperation move to get the dumb PCH people back out. Anyone who is has really been suckered.

So next time when you're on TPiR and it happens to be PCH (or some other gimmick week), we'll keep this in mind and make sure your Plinko game is impossible to get even one chip won (aside from the gimmie).

To me, a $25,000 bonus for winning the showcase – even if invented "on the fly" (I'm sure it wasn't; this was thought of beforehand and then announced when only it was needed) – is not "pity" cash or some
stupid excuse to get the PCH folks out there for their camera shot. And you also forget, there was $150 (or so) difference between the winning and losing showcase bids, so that's good ol' fashioned excitement.

I'd bet plenty of contestants DO accept "designer crap." Hey, who else wants to look stunning in that low-cut black dress Rachel is wearing? If I'm wrong, someone provide me reliable stats on rejection of this particular prize type. (I'd also bet that people rejected fashion-related prizes from years ago when they were regular prizes on TPiR and Let's Make a Deal ... "designer crap" or not.)

That said, I do think Plinko was played a bit too much this week. A good cross-promotion idea in theory, but too bad it didn't work out in practice. Maybe if there is a PCH Week 2.0 – just for you, Wayoshi – then we can tweak it and do better next time.

Brian

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Again, they are starting to tinker with the very format and general rules of the show/games. None of this bodes well.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Again, they are starting to tinker with the very format and general rules of the show/games. None of this bodes well.

How is giving away a cash bonus to the Showcase winner any different than adding the same amount to the value of the Showcase?

I'm pretty sure there aren't that many people who think "giving away more money" is somehow a sign that the show is on its deathbed.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
That ACM thing needs to get abominated as well. But this time, they screwed around with the rules to try to save a stunt, that's so much worse that they feel comfortable doing that to accommodate their terrible preconceptions.