Author Topic: Roger auctions the iPhone Drew gifted him  (Read 1404 times)

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
Roger auctions the iPhone Drew gifted him
« on: November 16, 2023, 07:30:04 AM »
When Drew took over hosting, he bought everyone on the staff iPhones shortly after the first one came out. Most of the staff were thrilled, except...

Quote from: Roger Dobkowitz
He [Drew Carey] came to our office at CBS on July 24, 2007 to be briefed by me on the workings of the show. He brought iPhones as a gift to all of us on the staff (11 of us in total). Everyone was quite ecstatic ... it had been released just 3 weeks earlier and it was a big thing in the news. I did not open mine, because I did not like cell phones and had no intention of using it. I put it away in a drawer and did not think about it until years later ... then I put it in our safe!"

He recently auctioned it at Bonham's, and got quite a nice amount for it. https://www.bonhams.com/auction/29359/lot/76/apple-iphone-1-sealed-in-original-box-with-fantastic-provenance-apple-iphone-1-8gb-smartphone-2007-sealed-in-original-box-since-its-production-144-x-88-x-68-mm-5-58-x-3-12-x-2-1116-inches/

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
Re: Roger auctions the iPhone Drew gifted him
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 07:34:26 AM »
Definitely a good amount! Impressive.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 09:08:08 PM »
Good for Roger. Original sealed iPhones do still fetch quite a bit of money, and this one has a cool story behind it. Maybe he can buy some margaritas with it. 
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline alansh42

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 09:43:17 PM »
He just wanted a phone with an eggcrate display.  :-D

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 04:46:08 PM »
I remember an interview with Drew from around the time he became host where he was expressing mild frustration over Roger and Bob being hard to get ahold of because neither of them had a cell phone or email.

I'm assuming this is still the case with Roger because he frequently goes on cruises and posts on Facebook that they will be "off the grid completely" during that time. I guess this means he generally has all communication devices (landline, computer) at his house.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »
I remember an interview with Drew from around the time he became host where he was expressing mild frustration over Roger and Bob being hard to get ahold of because neither of them had a cell phone or email.

I'm assuming this is still the case with Roger because he frequently goes on cruises and posts on Facebook that they will be "off the grid completely" during that time. I guess this means he generally has all communication devices (landline, computer) at his house.

I wouldn't assume that Roger doesn't have a cell phone. It may well be that he just sets more definite boundaries than most of us do when it comes to giving out his cell phone number.

Not everyone cares to be reachable at every single moment of their lives.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »
I had to do a double-take.  When first reading this, I thought “surely the first iPhone came out before 2007.”  But I looked it up and it did launch June 29, 2007.  (I guess I found it interesting that Bob never hosted an episode with an iPhone as a prize.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 11:42:31 AM by PimpinJC »
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 12:12:04 PM »

Even if you bring a cell phone and laptop onboard a cruise ship, you're still many miles away from the nearest cell tower and can't access the internet without racking up some major roaming fees or buying one of the cruise's expensive wifi plans.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »
I had to do a double-take.  When first reading this, I thought “surely the first iPhone came out before 2007.”  But I looked it up and it did launch June 29, 2007.  (I guess I found it interesting that Bob never hosted an episode with an iPhone as a prize.)

Maybe not. Were there any in the opening IUFB for the 2015 April Fools episode?
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »
The 2015 April Fools show started with an LG smartphone.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »
Ah. Right ballpark, wrong team.

Thank you.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 06:44:11 PM »

Bob retired before the release of the iPhone.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.