Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 04/04/2008  (Read 30861 times)

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 04/04/2008
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 02:52:11 AM »
1 word --- WOW

Got to wonder about that $1M game.  Seems like that they wanted to give it away with that setup.  Most loyal friends in true would have probably had a shot at winning Clock Game in a matter of secongs.  If I ever played it, 999 would be my first guess on the 2nd prize.  When she hit 899 on the first shot, I thought she had it in the bag.  Then she stumbled, and for just a second that suspense was there.  Just Amazing...

Then to follow that up with winning 3 jeeps.  She had an amazing day.

Plinko was the only downer, missing 3 SPs that were all set up faily easy.

Seeing a GR winner spin the wheel second, that was quite a sight.  I'd bet that is something we never see again.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »
Pretty darn awesome episode.  Best Spectacular so far this season, and probably counting past seasons, too... wonder why they waited to air this one.

After tonight, it's hard to dislike the whole Million Dollar pricing game thing.  I mean, the Range Game and Plinko setups were just ridiculous.  Half Off was easier, yet probably even less likely to be won, what with the whole gambling $25,000 aspect hardly anyone was likely to try.  And One Away, certainly the easiest, was also relatively bland compared to some of the others.  Tonight's idea was... well, I guess the second easiest.  Or third easiest, but more likely to be won than the Half Off thing, regardless.  It was the best idea of the bunch, though.

What can be said about Cynthia and Clock Game?  Well, lots, I guess.  She basically knew what she was doing, got a little lucky, and won $1 million!  The "luck" part, basically, that both prizes ended in 99.  But at the same time, she likely knew, possibly subconsciously, that 99 is the most common ending for Clock Game prizes, so I guess if you're going to go against basic strategy--admittedly kinda' necessary tonight--99 was the way to go.  Watching that was just simply amazing!

Speaking of Cynthia, I'm glad she won the showcase.  Not just because she was a great contestant--Mary was great too--but I mostly wanted to see whether she won $1,000,000 for winning Clock Game, or $1,005,000 for winning Clock Game.  Seems she indeed won $1,005,000!  That would've been bugging me for a while had she not won the showcase.

And for all those posting about how "easy" winning $1 million in Clock Game was... I don't buy it.  Definitely not easier than One Away for the $1 million.  Because while a lot of contestants pick up on little things like lots of prices ending in 99, there are even more contestants who are oblivious to such.  Not to mention, the contestant has to have enough forethought to make those 99 guesses, 'cause playing Clock Game by the book would be very unlikely to get the game won in just ten seconds.  I think, for a change, it was appropriately difficult, as opposed to the insane Plinko and Range Game setups, or the possibly too easy One Away thing.

I did wonder about a potential legal mess with Clock Game, though:  the clock moving one second when Cynthia guessed $899 right off the bat for the sofa.  That shouldn't have happened, right?  That could've been really bad if Cynthia wound up winning both prizes with the clock between the 19 and 20 second marks.  Glad that didn't happen, regardless.

And how did this playing compare with John's?  Well, they can't really fairly be compared.  John may not have won in under ten seconds, but he had no real reason to try to win in ten seconds.  He probably could have adjusted the perfect strategy a bit if he knew he'd win $1 million for doing it in under ten seconds.  Cynthia played a little less "perfectly," but played how she needed to do it to have a shot at winning in under ten seconds.

And on a related note to the $1 million pricing game, I hope at some point we're finally going to get to see one in the second half of the show.

Mary's Golden Road win... you know, her reaction to winning looked like just about the most painful winning reaction I've ever seen!  That would've killed me, but Mary seemed all right.

And I was going to comment about it being, in all likelihood, the first time in Price is Right history that a Golden Road wasn't the last spinner in the showcase showdown, but I've been beaten to the punch.  Darn.

Jennie (:)) and I were both equally fooled by the price of the Chrysler 300... I thought they were more expensive than that, too.  Looked like the luggage was probably supposed to be won.  Funny how Roger making the thousands digit tricky is exactly how she wound up winning!  Yay for backfiring evil plots!

As for Most Expensive... why does it usually seem like European trips are cheaper than trips to other continents?  I'd have won, but it was a perfectly understandable loss.

And Plinko... there was almost no way anyone was going to win the beverage shaker thing.  But thinking Stan's book was $40?  He must really be a huge fan of the book!  I mean, heck, I'd pay $40 for it, but still....

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »
For those interested, video now live on cbs.com/video. The others will fall in accordingly.

Offline Bully

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 04:58:59 AM »
good show!! the questions is who Gets the jeeps?
I LOVE the price is right!!

Offline Johnnya2k4

• Walking the Golden Road
    • The AllenBlog
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »
I was hoping for the clanging of the bells and the "WHOOP!! WHOOP!! WHOOOOOP!!" to sound after Cynthia won the $1 million in Grand Game, but that would be a bit too daytime.

But $3 million so far; the first winner already in the TPIR history books in general? If that is Emmy material, I don't know what is.

Jonathan Allen

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 07:38:26 AM »
Yes great show.  In the past  6 weeks Price has given away $1MM three times and the Million is yet to be won on that over-hyped Deal or No Deal

I like Clock for a million but the prices were too easy.  I knew the second prize would be $999 since they do that so often.  I would have made it more challenging but not impossible.  Much easier to win $1MM here than in Range or 1/2 Off. 

Also, given what was at stake.  I would have had a special digital clock that goes to the tenth of a second (remember Scrabble anyone??).  When you are playing for a million you can't rely on a motorized 35 1/2 year-old piece of plastic (although we all love the original set!!).  Once the clock went to 19.9 seconds we would know the $1MM chance would go away.

Thoughts?

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »
A rare post.

I have to tell you that last night's show was unbelievable.

4 winners in 6 games, if you don't add the $1,000 that Alexander in Plinko.

When "Clock Game" came up as the $1,000,00 game, I thought to myself, win both in 30 seconds, win an extra $5,000, BUT, win both prizes, in 10 seconds or less, win $1 Million.

What does Cynthia do, get the prize of the sofa, on the first shot, $899, and do it 4/10 of a second. Then Cynthia pulls off the most unbelievable feat ever, gets $999 on the 2nd prize, wins $1 Million, goes nuts, the confetti comes out, and I wish they do the whoop, whoop, whoop sound effect thing, but it didn't happen.

Then Cynthia wins the showcase showdown, in a spinoff with .45, no less.

Then Cynthia passes a boat, the exercise equipment, and a stereo system to Alexander, and Cynthia ends up with
3 Jeeps, a trip to Hawaii, an American Flag, and that cute trailer, bids $75,000, and wins everything.

$1,089,017, the biggest female winner in CBS history, and Drew Carey's 4th $1 Million winner, 3 on "The Price Is Right" and the other on "Power Of Ten", returning this summer.

Congratulations, Cynthia, you deserved it.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »
It's Drew's fifth million dollar winner, as he also presided over Pepsi's Play for a Billion a few years ago, where a million dollars was won.

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »
That Clock Game win was a thing of beauty. A good moment, and she deserved every bit of that one. Been waiting forever to see a contestant guess in 99s, rather than straight 100s, and it happened on the right night. A lot of us playing along had some awfully close bids on her showcase, too.

Fun little note here about the show. There's this piece of production music I've used online and off as a TPIR prize cue because it sounded "TPIR-worthy" to me. Lo and behold tonight, it got used! It was played for the pinball machine IUFB, and since it was penned by Michael Karp, it's no surprise why it was available. You can find it at 80stvthemes.com under Potpourri -> Misc: "People Are Talking"s theme from 1988.

-Jason

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »
All I can say about this show is WOW.  The 1st half could easily be described as the best 1st half ever for any episode of Price.  Heck, the whole show could be described as that (certainly the best MDS).

Golden Road-I've been waiting to see this on this batch of MDSs for awhile now.  The gold dots on the black floor looked awesome!  Someone finally reaches the end of the Golden Road this season, and they win, resulting in the first Golden Road win in the Drew era.

Clock Game-Wow, Million Dollar Clock!  When Cynthia got the sofa right on the first guess, I was in total shock!  And she only needed 5 guesses to get the trainer and the one million dollars!  One of the best, if not the best, Clock Game playing ever.  Contrary to what some people think, I believe this was difficult to achieve the million.  Most contestants are already under pressure trying to get both prizes in 30 seconds.  I can't even imagine the amount of pressure Cynthia underwent, trying to get both prizes in 10 seconds to win a million.  But somehow, she did it, and it was awesome!

SCSD #1-Pretty odd to see a Golden Road winner spinning 2nd.  I don't see that happening again for a long time.  And Cynthia moves on to the showcase for a chance at another million.

Any Number-I thought we were gonna have the first loss of the night here, but I knew as soon as Jennie got the 4th digit right in the price of the car, she was going to win.

Plinko-Wow, 2 cash games in one night!  Alexander, however, played the SP portion very poorly.

Most Expensive-At first, by the look of the shot, I thought this was going to be Triple Play!  Of course, with all the stuff that had happened so far, it would not have surprised me one bit.  Tonight's playing of Most Expensive was brought to you by the letter A.  Too bad James' playing wasn't an A.  Any one of those trips looked like they could have been the most expensive, though.

Showcases-At first, I thought Cynthia had won another million dollars, which would have been mind-boggling.  However, she did give a really good bid and won her showcase.  She wins 3 Jeeps and has got enough gas money for a few trips to the gas station. :-P
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline tdawgg3x

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
Cynthia is the "Angelina Jolie of game shows".  Not only did she win $1 million in the Clock Game, but also having the best week ever.  I thought it was impossible to guess the actual prices in less than 10 seconds.  NOT LIKE LAST NIGHT'S PERFORMANCE!  Minus the bells clanging and siren whooping, this is ultimately one of the BEST MDS since Drew's first night of the MDS.  I tip my hat off to Cynthia, director Bart, producer "The Dob" (sorry Dobby...), associate producer Adam "YOU CAN DO IT!" Sandler, and host Drew Carey for making TPiR my favorite game show of all time.  I dedicate this reply to the legendary Bob Barker...
"Help control the virus population, have your hard drives spayed or neutered."

-Nick Roche

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
Million Dollar Clock Game Win: Possibly the most exciting moment in TPiR history.

That's about all I gotta say! :D Still gives me chills!

Offline mmarlin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
Priceless: A contestant wins Golden Road for almost a 100k, and is still in 2nd place at the Wheel. I doubt we will ever be able to make that statement again(then again, it could happen with the next set of MDS specials I'm sure)

Clock Game: Yeah, why the heck did any time move on it at all, when she was Exacta? Could have ended up being a techinical "Million Dollar Win" if she took more time. They really need to watch that stuff.

Plinko: Meh, but we can't award too much in one show

Most Expensive, nice to see for Three trips, but I figured he had that wrong. I've never seen a 10,000+ plus trip on that game before anyhow.

Anyhow the show is a 1000 out of 10, for obvious wins in GR and Clock Game. Hopefully CBS can archive this one on Innertube forever. They should start a special section for this one.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
So, did anyone ever, in their wildest dreams, think that, of all the pricing games on the show, the one that would give away the biggest single prize (well, thus far, I guess) would be CLOCK GAME?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mmarlin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
So, did anyone ever, in their wildest dreams, think that, of all the pricing games on the show, the one that would give away the biggest single prize (well, thus far, I guess) would be CLOCK GAME?

No, and about 10 seconds before Drew revealed it was the MDG, I was thinking "No way in hell would Clock Game ever be the MDG, it's too easy", and dayum, it was.

That'll teach me, eh?