Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/14/2012  (Read 17422 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 11/14/2012
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
Guess I should just keep my mouth shut.
You should not. I'm not trying to stifle you, nor do I want to fight. I just wanted to express my opinion as you did yours. I mean no harm nor malice and I'm sorry if my post came off as such. I am not stating facts. That is my opinion and only my opinion and as with any opinion on the internet taken with a grain of salt. Again, I apologize.

Well that is fine in a practical sense, it still makes little sense to get that mad about a "Stupid CBS Special Report." People can complain about what they want to, that's fine and dandy, heck, you're complaining about people complaining about someone complaining :P

I never meant to say that he can't complain, more that his type of complaint showed an anger level which was not warranted.

Heck, I'm sure that if it was the other way around, and 'Price' interrupted a CBS Special Report, a lot more people would get mad (not on this site) than if a CBS Special Report interrupted 'Price' especially because if something great happens in 'Price', it'll be on CBS.com, and YouTube.com, and probably 50 thousand other sites as well. (And if something not so great or bad happens, heck, that might be on YouTube.com too! and if it's not, it's probably not worth seeing in the first place.)
Like I said, there are a choice of words to be used. Words have meanings and I wouldn't call any CBS report stupid. You are absolutely right that CBS would catch hell for not covering something important and I definitely think this was important...okay it was on the line (I mean taxes obviously, but is Gen. Petraeus that big of deal?). I wasn't agreeing with saying that he hated them, but I wasn't happy with saying he shouldn't do it in the first place. Especially since we've seen much worse from folks over preemptions.

On to the show...

Hi Connor! I'm sorry, WHERE has the time gone? He looks so grown! And you know Wayo, he is in the way, but if your dad was the host of your favorite show (yeah yeah, Connor's favorite show is probably something like Adventure Time or Spongebob) would your really tell him "No Dad. I don't want to go on stage and actually be on national television. I don't want to be in the way, even though I can get close enough to Side by Side to see my reflection in the glass." I mean...it's really hard to pass up.

Roo really can't be blamed on the lack of a bailout because even with one odds are they would've gone again anyway having only two correct. Devastating loss. When you finally think you've got Mike, he catches you by surprise.

Wow. A $99 prize in Make Your Move. I can't wait for that prize and the $9998 grill center from Coming or Going to make an appearance together in this game. It has to be coming. Or maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.

Magic # was...way too easy. I know I usually say it was so easy you might as well have skipped the game, but seriously...you just gave away over $4000 for touching a handle. Once. I understand that the gaps were made larger and larger because people were blowing $1500-2000 spreads before because the numbers moved slowly, but now that the numbers have been fixed I think they can go back to tight gaps like $500-1000. Oh, and the spinny thing was once again not spinning. Aw.

Not a good choice in Stack the Deck to waste the free pick on the 2nd number. Yeah the 2nd number is certainly hard if you don't know the ballpark price of the car, but the last three are far more difficult to price. Disappointing result. I really don't understand why they insist on setting up Stack the Deck as a soul sucking game. The fact that there hasn't really been ONE (just one!) setup where all three digits could be easily earned in who knows how long is absolutely sad.

So...some showcase 1, huh? Another impossibly loaded showcase.

Great lineup today.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:07:05 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
Hate to double post, but I didn't want a gigantic post....

[Seth] 11:15 am: IS THIS REAL LIFE?
This (following the revel of how easy Magic # was) led to perhaps the greatest chain of events in chat in a long time.

[DJTorgo] 11:15 am: IS THIS JUST FANTASY
[Bryan] 11:15 am: um i won
[goldroadfanatic] 11:16 am: Is this fantasy?
[Punchboard91] 11:16 am: Because it wasn't in BETWEEN the numbers     
[SuperSweeper] 11:16 am: Guess they can afford to give away $4k easily
    [UniquePerspective] 11:16 am: CAUGHT IN A LANDSLIDE
[thepriceis_J] 11:16 am: CAUGHT IN A LANDSLIDE
[CrossTraffic] 11:16 am: wow....easy
     [Seth] 11:16 am: I haven't seen too many Mike-era playings of the game. Is it ALWAYS that easy?
[Punchboard91] 11:16 am: New rule fail
[Canadian-TPIRfan] 11:16 am: WAY TOO EASY
     [DJTorgo] 11:16 am: NO ESCAPE FROM REALITY
[goldroadfanatic] 11:16 am: Easy Come, Easy Go
[Punchboard91] 11:16 am: OPEN YOUR EYES
[pathfinder20] 11:16 am: that's is a huge a rang.
[thepriceis_J] 11:16 am: Yes, Seth.
[pathfinder20] 11:16 am: *range
     [DJTorgo] 11:16 am: LOOK UP TO THE SKIES AND SEE
     [Flerbert419] 11:16 am: Now it is, Seth
[SuperSweeper] 11:16 am: I have a proposal
[SuperSweeper] 11:16 am: Rename the game to "Pricing for Dummies"
[thepriceis_J] 11:16 am: People were losing on ranges like that because the numbers moved so slow.
     [DJTorgo] 11:16 am: I'M JUST A POOR BOY
     [DJTorgo] 11:16 am: I NEED NO SYMPATHY
[Punchboard91] 11:16 am: BECAUSE I'M EASY COME EASY GO
[goldroadfanatic] 11:16 am: Contestants were losing Magic # too much
     [DJTorgo] 11:16 am: LITTLE HIGH, LITTLE LOW
And believe me when I say it didn't end there. We did the entire song and from there we went to TV Themes. How fitting that in the middle of it all a karaoke machine was offered in IUFB 4.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
Make Your Move should've been an easy win, since all you had to do was set the only combination that follows the "pair of identical prizes usually ends with an even number" rule.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Make Your Move should've been an easy win, since all you had to do was set the only combination that follows the "pair of identical prizes usually ends with an even number" rule.

Except, the average contestant doesn't use that rule or any other rules, and that was one of the nastier setups MYM has had in a bit. (Unless you know that rule)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
Make Your Move wasn't even easy if you knew the even number rule, because then 9798 was a better looking possibility for the bikes than 7178. What a vicious setup all around - the -99 AND the -98 trap.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
As cute as Connor can be, yeah, he was completely in the way during Switcheroo though Brian didn't seem to mind.  He was adorable during the one-bid reveals though.  I'd love to see him help model a prize again like he did with the toy Mini Cooper a while back.

The actual retail price is...

Offline titantoa4

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »
What in the heck was Connor doing on the show anyways, last I read Drew and Connor's mom weren't even together anymore,  so when they broke up that should have ended any appearances for Connor on The Price Is Right.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
What in the heck was Connor doing on the show anyways, last I read Drew and Connor's mom weren't even together anymore,  so when they broke up that should have ended any appearances for Connor on The Price Is Right.

Well, the thread made a while back made it clear Drew would still be involved in Connor's life, in fact, here's a quote from the linked article.

Quote from: www.eonline.com
He will still be very involved with their son's life.

...So there's that....
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
Make Your Move wasn't even easy if you knew the even number rule, because then 9798 was a better looking possibility for the bikes than 7178. What a vicious setup all around - the -99 AND the -98 trap.

But using 9798 for the motorscooters would make the possible choices for the pair of bikes $717 or $789, neither of which are even. Therefore, you'd have to do 7178-99-798 to make sure both pair-of items had even prices.

Anyways, I know the vast majority of contestants nowadays wouldn't even consider such a tactic, or even any tactic regarding end-of-price pattern recognition (outside of the obvious -99), but maybe, just maybe, someone is lurking and reading these posts who will end up on Price one day and will be able to use such tactics when they play their pricing game. (I can hope, can't I?  :P )

Regarding Roo, I wonder if what happened today will make Drew emphasize more on further playings that the contestant does not have to change the car on the second try. Either way, that $19 wine opener was probably more at fault; it seemed to be just a case where he (or rather, his wife, who seemed to be directing him) had the wrong two items pegged as the right ones.

And where's Buck or Roll? Those two GP car games are way overdue...

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
Regarding Roo, I wonder if what happened today will make Drew emphasize more on further playings that the contestant does not have to change the car on the second try. Either way, that $19 wine opener was probably more at fault; it seemed to be just a case where he (or rather, his wife, who seemed to be directing him) had the wrong two items pegged as the right ones.

I doubt it, first since I'm pretty sure it's been written out of the rules for the game. Second, because if the contestant does not want to change the car on the second try, they don't have to. They can sit there and twiddle their thumbs, they can do the hokey pokey and turn themselves around.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »
Hate to double post, but I didn't want a gigantic post....
This (following the revel of how easy Magic # was) led to perhaps the greatest chain of events in chat in a long time.
And believe me when I say it didn't end there. We did the entire song and from there we went to TV Themes. How fitting that in the middle of it all a karaoke machine was offered in IUFB 4.

We do parties!
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
I doubt it, first since I'm pretty sure it's been written out of the rules for the game. Second, because if the contestant does not want to change the car on the second try, they don't have to. They can sit there and twiddle their thumbs, they can do the hokey pokey and turn themselves around.

I wasn't talking about the currently non-existent bailout option. Sometimes, before Drew lets the contestant go change blocks with at least 1 right, he warns them that the car could be (one of) the right ones and that the contestant doesn't need to change that one if he/she doesn't want to. It's a courtesy of his that he is inconsistent in doing, and playings like this remind me how I'd like him to extend that courtesy every playing, since in all the excitement a contestant could easily not recognize this fact. Again, probably not the case here, but still something probably worth doing if the bailout is no longer an option.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 01:12:01 AM »
^The real solution is to have the freaking bailout option.

We do parties!
Hopefully with your clothes on.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:23 AM »

Despite what may have happened between Drew and his ex, it's clear he still loves and cares about Connor.  Sure Connor's not his biological son but blood does not make family now does it?  Frankly, if I were hosting the show and I had a son that wanted to be on it, I'd probably find a way to make it happen.

The actual retail price is...

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »
I know sometimes kids can be a hassle and in the way, but Connor is good, and even if it's not Bring Your Child to Work Day, everyone should have the right and opportunity to do that without people complaining, as long as the child is good. The several times (though far apart) that I have seen Connor on the show, he has been pretty good and going with the flow, but not interfering.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.