Author Topic: Fremantle to Launch Buzzr TV-Featuring Classic Goodson Shows  (Read 85871 times)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
The next thing i wonder is what Buzzr will be allowed to have, Bob price is mainly the problem as there are banned episodes in his rotation, Drew doesn't have episodes with imposed bans.

Would Drew price be all that's allowed for Buzzr, and Bob price would be unusable for the freemantle media owned and operated network....
Hey, never say never. I wouldn't mind at all if TPIR started from 1995, as that was when Holly left the show for good. So far, all the other shows have started out this way: Family Feud from 1980 or so, and Match Game from 1978, to give some good examples.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
I wouldn't mind at all if TPIR started from 1995, as that was when Holly left the show for good.

Remember that Bob's veto is only half the equation; it still has to be cleared by the legal rightsholder, in this case Fremantle.  Seems like they didn't want to clear TPiR to air anywhere other than its traditional broadcast slot for fear of overexposure, or some such.  As a concern that one's easy to understand, since I for one can only handle Drew's show in small doses.

Offline steven.jordan.332

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
@ethawne2015 I can't even stream his show at all due to limitations with my internet connection, and CBS's need to switch into the low bandwidth audio only mode to compensate for it.

I understand the concern with what fremantle would want with price, as its a premium product with high licensing fees. It would be an issue for Buzzr to let alone obtain the clearances to air the show. GSN couldn't handle it because of the factors that were previously stated.

A lot of the older shows which fremantle has aside from The Price is Right , are caught up in cross rights issues with other parties, which makes their joining Buzzr hard.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
@ethawne2015 I can't even stream his show at all due to limitations with my internet connection, and CBS's need to switch into the low bandwidth audio only mode to compensate for it.

I understand the concern with what fremantle would want with price, as its a premium product with high licensing fees. It would be an issue for Buzzr to let alone obtain the clearances to air the show. GSN couldn't handle it because of the factors that were previously stated.

A lot of the older shows which fremantle has aside from The Price is Right , are caught up in cross rights issues with other parties, which makes their joining Buzzr hard.

Fremantle owns the show outright, they wouldn't have to pay higher licensing fees at all. The only issue between the reruns are Bob Barker & CBS.  Once those hurdles are crossed, I'm sure Price will be on Buzzr.  The only cross owned shows that have issues are Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour (Which Gene Rayburn never wanted reran anyways), Scrabble, Concentration, and (MAYBE) Scattegories if they wanted to run it.  Everything else is free and clear to run.  I'm sure through time, more of Fremantle's library will find it's way to Buzzr.

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
@ethanlange so only 4 programs in freemantles library are caught up in cross rights issues, everything else is free and clear to air.

The issue for price joining buzzr is Bob Barker and CBS, come on bob, let up on letting your run be shown again to the masses who may have missed that the first time.

as its been previously stated its possible he forced freemantle media's hand into giving him a ton of powers not in his actual contract, and did not retire voluntarily from hosting price, before it was handed over to Drew.

could bob gain more traction on what of price shows up on buzzr, like he can make his entire run unusable to buzzr, only have Drew's run show up on Buzzr, etc?

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
The issue for price joining buzzr is Bob Barker and CBS, come on bob, let up on letting your run be shown again to the masses who may have missed that the first time.

I'll say it again, Bob's veto isn't the only roadblock.  Fremantle would have to be willing to let the show air outside its usual spot.  Far as I know, they wouldn't let that happen, even with Drew's show.

could bob gain more traction on what of price shows up on buzzr, like he can make his entire run unusable to buzzr, only have Drew's run show up on Buzzr, etc?

This doesn't make any sense to me, Steven.  I already said earlier in the thread that Bob might well have ultimate say on how (and whether) his image is used.  If he doesn't let them use his image from any episode that involved furs or certain models, then those episodes can't be aired, anywhere.

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
Fremantle to Launch Buzzr TV-Featuring Classic Goodson Shows (Incl. TPIR!)
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
Let me rephrase that. What did his actual contract he signed actually say could or could not be done with the show?

Does Bob have additional unstated powers as EP that go beyond his retirement that could make things difficult for buzzr to use the product, it's a great question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:12:28 PM by steven.jordan.332 »

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
I'll say it again, Bob's veto isn't the only roadblock.  Fremantle would have to be willing to let the show air outside its usual spot.  Far as I know, they wouldn't let that happen, even with Drew's show.

That part isn't on Fremantle, it's on CBS.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
That part isn't on Fremantle, it's on CBS.

Is it?  I would've thought as the rightsholder it would be up to Fremantle to make those decisions.  (I think the argument in question actually makes even more sense if CBS makes the call though.)

Anyhow, I was wrong--thanks for the correction.

Let me rephrase that. What did his actual contract he signed actually say could or could not be done with the show?

That I don't think we know, and like my question about Rich's firing, is probably something we'll never know.  Everything that I've said has been completely speculative.

Does Bob have additional unstated powers as EP that go beyond his retirement that could make things difficult for buzzr to use the product, it's a great question

The only thing I feel like we can take as a fact, or maybe a highly probable speculation, is that since he's no longer EP and hasn't been for the entire Drew era, his formal influence on broadcast rights ended with the last show of season 35.  After that, I could see how he might strongly insist on certain things, but not to actually make legally binding decisions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:30:54 PM by ethawne2015 »

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
So I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but I don't have cable but I am hearing about digital antennas.. I live in CT and when I was younger I was able to get WWOR on regular cable tv. If I just pick up a digital antenna, will I be able to pick up the Buzzr feed? Also, any suggestions for digital antennas?

The FCC has a web page about TV antennas. Even older antennas used for analog signal reception might work.

www.fcc.gov/guides/antennas-and-digital-television

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
I actually have tried finding an actual copy of barkers contract, doesn't exist anywhere on the net.

If his formal influence on broadcast rights ended with the 35th season, shouldn't control have transferred from barker to Fremantle media and the network.

I get its speculation and not to be taken for the truth that we'll never know how bobs deal was written, according to Wikipedia there may have been an answer to your question of some sort.

If he can strongly insist  on certain things and can't make buzzr agree to legally binding decisions, wouldn't it influence the networks ability to use price without the proper clearances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
The only cross owned shows that have issues are Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour (Which Gene Rayburn never wanted reran anyways),
Per Adam Nedeff, this is entirely untrue. While Rayburn indeed had several legitimate reasons to put a ban order on this series, he only ever exercised that right for his 13 weeks of Break the Bank.

I believe this was because he did seem to enjoy the Match Game portions of the Hour, whereas on Bank he was treated poorly by Kline & Friends (who chastised him for making jokes during what they considered to be a "serious and suspenseful" bonus game, then later blamed him for the poor ratings; there is an episode circulating where Gene noticeably goes through the motions throughout).

Scrabble,
Hasbro.

Concentration,
Owned outright by NBC (purchased from Barry-Enright shortly into its run), licensed to syndicator Jim Victory/Victory Productions, which in turn subcontracted to Goodson-Todman (hence why Victory Television appears in the credits of Classic Concentration).

and (MAYBE) Scattegories if they wanted to run it.
Also Hasbro. Personally, I believe Scattergories may be good in a weekend slot, or possibly in a daily hour block with the 1993 Scrabble as it was on NBC.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
I actually have tried finding an actual copy of barkers contract, doesn't exist anywhere on the net.

That's not surprising, usually there's all kinds of confidentiality agreements that surround those things.  Most employment agreements are like that, you don't talk about the terms to anyone else, often under penalty of termination.

If his formal influence on broadcast rights ended with the 35th season, shouldn't control have transferred from barker to Fremantle media and the network.

Steven, I've explained my theory on this twice now.  I don't know how else to I can try to explain it.

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
ethawne2015, what else could fremantle media north america possibly obtain that it explicitly owns as far as gameshows go that could be contributed to buzzr?

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
we dont get Buzzr tv here in St. Louis
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right