Author Topic: Misheard Bid Costs the Show Big  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Misheard Bid Costs the Show Big
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »
According to Brad Francini at www.gscentral.net the reason the contestant's podium flashes when Bob mishears a bid has to do with an incident a few years back. Seems a female contstant's bid was not heard correctly and she would have won her way on stage. Standards and Practices ruled that the show had the give the contestant what amounted to the value the prizes from the IUfB, the pricing game, $11,000 from the Big Wheel and both showcases! Does anyone know anything specific about this?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Misheard Bid Costs the Show Big
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
I think I remember that.  If I remember correctly bob did mishear a bid and the contestant won a car and the 11,000 on the wheel, then they can back from break and had to explain what happened.  I think that is what happened. Someone correct me if I am way off.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
I would bet money that Brad is referring to the day the announcer said at the end of the show that a contestant was "awarded the prizes" due to an error, since the incident Rodroddyfan is talking about was resolved on the air in a completely different manner.  (And for what it's worth, it didn't involve a Showcase Showdown, either.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline supergoten

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »
If it was misheard, how come the person didn't correct him and say it again?

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:59 PM »

Heather wrote:
If it was misheard, how come the person didn't correct him and say it again?

The contestant wouldn't have necessarily known right then:  they have no way to see the readouts in front of them, and with all of the noise during the one-bids, the contestant might not even have been able to hear Barker quote the wrong price.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:36:41 AM »
In Bob's defense, I'm shocked how well he can hear/see the bids.  It is nearly impossible to hear anything audibly during the One Bids.  He does a very good job of it.
John

Offline canada

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
I've gotta agree with John...it is SOOOO loud during one-bid that you can't hear anything except for the roar of the crowd.  The fact that Bob can hear anything is impressive, the fact that he can do it at 83 is incredible!

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 06:10:44 AM »
Believe me, I didn't appreciate how loud it was until my first taping. One row behind Contestant's Row, and I can't hear a word ANY of the four contestants say...

Despite being over 50 years older than me, Bob is far more capable of following what's going on down there than I am. Kudos to him for being able to do so!
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.